Thread: Hi, Friends

Default Hi, Friends

Does anybody else find this textbook incredibly quick?! Especially the 5th graders - Right now I've almost finished lesson 4 with my 5th graders in 8 Elementary Schools because I've found most of the kids were already perfectly capable with a basic self introduction up to using 'I like/don't like ~'

I'm using all of the book material as well as inserting extra personalized activities in the classes but the kids are just whizzing through it. I wouldn't be moving at such a pace if I felt they were not comfortable with anything we had studied so far but it's a bit of a shock that we're not even really near summer vacation yet and they've already ploughed through half of the text book.

How's everybody else getting on with the pace?

(I only work at ES & get to teach all the kids in the town once per week for comparison.)

Default Re: Hi, Friends

how many class periods have you had? how many are scheduled for term 1? A good rule of thumb is to finish lesson 4 after 12 class periods by the end of the 1st term.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah, I don't really want to go much past lesson 4 before summer vacation if it can be helped either, but like I say the kids just know it - we can practice it plenty of times before summer vacation but I can see that getting a bit of drag.

Probably had about 10 classes with each group now.

Probably just have to throw in a couple of cultural lessons to slow the pace down, cooking or some sports or some music or something...

10? did you start in the first week of april or are you doing multiple lessons a week???

when is your sports day? look at the yearly schedule and if you have the time do 16 class periods in term 1, finish up to lesson 5 then only do 12 in term 2 and 7 in term 3. that'll give the hrt a couple of weeks in each term to use for sports day and graduation practice.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

term 1 lessons 1-5 - 15 periods
    term 2 lessons 6,halloween cultural lesson, 7, christmas cultural lessons - start focusing on alphabet writing practice for 10 min each lesson to slow the pace - 12 periods
    term 3 lessons 8,9 - 8 periods

yearly total = 35

My kids are also breezing through the start of the textbook for 5th years since the teachers in charge this year are super eager to use English and we have a lot of kids who studied at English kindergartens/juku. I only visit a few times a month max and I'll be changing schools this summer anyway, so I guess I don't have to worry too much about what will happen when/if they finish too early.

0_0 wow. I wish I'd be able to visit ES more often. I go to ES once a month so we're still on lesson 2.

i dont understand how you can go through the first 3 lessons so fast if you are showing them all the videos on international greetings, american Vs japanese gestures, counting 1-10 in 6 different languages, janken in 6 different languages and playing janken against the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    i dont understand how you can go through the first 3 lessons so fast if you are showing them all the videos on international greetings, american Vs japanese gestures, counting 1-10 in 6 different languages, janken in 6 different languages and playing janken against the computer.
    I get the feeling some teachers don't really know how to use the DVDs properly and skip some of the videos or half-ass other parts. I only visit occasionally, but they give me a lesson plan in Japanese copied from the teacher's guidebook so I know they have lesson plans that tell them what to do each class. And yet they were already halfway through lesson 2 by the time I had my first visit mid-May.

The puzzling thing is that it doesn't seem like they skipped anything since I see answers written into their books, evidently they made and exchanged name cards at some point, they can use the vocab learned so far, and kids keep yelling "Jambo!" to me outside of class. We've just finished lesson 3 so things might slow down a bit since there are a lot of activities you can do using "I like".
    Last edited by Ebi; June 5th, 2014 at 20:08.

lesson 2 by mid may sound about perfect.

If you have just finished lesson 3 now then do 4 weeks on lesson 4. you'll be finished by the 2nd week of July, 1 week before the end of term. perfect time to stop and the hrt can use the last week for something else.

get lessons 5-7 done in term 2 and then do 8-9 in term 3.

Good advice, but sadly I've already gone to my last visit! I was only scheduled for two visits with those kids before the summer and then I'll be changing schools. Sad, because I really like all of my schools, but my city forces us to switch every two years.
    Last edited by Ebi; June 5th, 2014 at 20:21.

Ah, yeah, we don't use the DVD thing ever... We used it last year for the Momo-taro section but that was a two week special lesson we could do in the PC rooms - I go to two schools a day getting to each of my 8 schools at least once a week.. mostly this means there isn't time to set up the technology stuff and I just rely on printed out/laminated materials for practicing the target points of each lesson. We started in the first week of April too.

well if you have already done 10 lessons then how many are you intending to do this term?