Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

Quote Originally Posted by coheeshosho View Post
    No one can show up a couple times a week and still have a job. But a good deal of ALTs are tape recorders by no fault of their own. It's mostly incompetent JTEs that use them as tape recorders because they don't know pedagogy and have never really had a formal education in how to teach people. Or, it's just laziness. Saying that it's the ALT's fault that he or she gets used is incorrect I think. It's an incomplete understanding of the real problem.
    A good deal are maybe tape recorders, but a good deal aren't as well. Just because you aren't utilised properly at work isn't an excuse to call those who are "delusional".

No one can show up a couple times a week and still have a job. But a good deal of ALTs are tape recorders by no fault of their own. It's mostly incompetent JTEs that use them as tape recorders because they don't know pedagogy and have never really had a formal education in how to teach people. Or, it's just laziness. Saying that it's the ALT's fault that he or she gets used is incorrect I think. It's an incomplete understanding of the real problem.
    As with many things, it's complicated. Sometimes ALTs are given less work because they haven't really earned their school's trust, and sometimes their coworkers and school are all too willing to push them into the tape recorder box. My feeling, though, is that making an effort to fit in and (look like you) work hard will hardly ever steer you wrong. Your current batch of teachers might appreciate it, but things might change at the next school year, and someone somewhere has probably taken notice.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 9th, 2014 at 08:53.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Possibly, but both personal initiative and persistence can work wonders. At one of my visit schools I was used as tape recorder on the first day, I talked with the teachers about it, showed them some lesson plans, they agreed to run one of them and see how it went. I now plan my lessons for those schools and have a much better rapport with the classes and teachers.

Doing the bare minimum just because that's what you're asked to do is just plain lazy. You can - doesn't mean you should.

I said usually delusional. I also make my own lesson plans and teach full classes with the implementation of my own plans. This doesn't happen everyday though. Also, perhaps those commenting are not delusional, but there are many among us who are used as tape recorders and still actually believe that they are doing a good job and helping people. I would argue that these types are perhaps a bit delusional. There is a tendency for self aggrandizement in this job I think.

Personally, I arrived at my placement in the evening and had to go to work the following day. The first couple of days were mostly spent going around with my supervisor and setting up my bank account/ phone/ car stuff/ city registration/ meet people. Then I was expected to just sit at my desk and while away the time until lessons started.

On the other hand, my office also gives us 5 days of special summer leave that we can use anytime between July and September. Our only restriction is that we're not allowed to use more than two days consecutively in the same week (but if I wanted to take Thursday and Friday off during week 1 and then Monday and Tuesday off during week 2 it's no problem, for some inexplicable reason). I was actively encouraged to take this summer leave (my co-worker came up with a schedule and ordered me to mark off my days lol), and for some reason even though everyone else in the office is allergic to nenkyu they religiously take their summer days off. So yeah, if you're lucky that might happen.
    ES and JHS ALT

As for the part about this being a job... Yes, but not really. It's nothing like being an actual teacher. People who believe this is actually a job are usually delusional.
    How is it not a job? I can see you saying being an ALT is not a career, but not a job?
    They are paying you, there are (sometimes clear/ sometimes unclear) expectations, and most ALT have some sort of responsibility. Chances are for most fresh out of college ALTs, it's the closest thing to a real job that they have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomgirl View Post
    Lol "gaijin smashing" - love it!
    I really wish I could take credit for that. It's an old, really funny blog about ALT life. He had to move servers a few times so it's a little out of order but it's still worth the read if you never have.

I Am a Japanese School Teacher | Gaijin Chronicles
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I said usually delusional... Also, perhaps those commenting are not delusional, but there are many among us who are used as tape recorders and still actually believe that they are doing a good job and helping people. I would argue that these types are perhaps a bit delusional.
    That's a fair point, and maybe there are. Hell, I'm sure there are. But I haven't personally met any of them yet, whereas I have meet a few people who don't do much and are quite happy to bitch about it without doing anything proactive.

I'd say laziness is more common than delusions of grandeur among ALTs, judging by the (admittedly small) number that I know.

There is a tendency for self aggrandizement in this job I think.
    That's true too, I think - there are also the super genki ALTs who convince themselves that they've completely turned around English education in their town. Maybe you kind of have to be a little delusional to do a good job; otherwise you'll just be thinking about how no matter how good your students' English is now, some future junior high/high school/university JTE will manage to squash it out of them.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 9th, 2014 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    That's true too, I think - there are also the super genki ALTs who convince themselves that they've completely turned around English education in their town. Maybe you kind of have to be a little delusional to do a good job; otherwise you'll just be thinking about how no matter how good your students' English is now, some future junior high/high school/university JTE will manage to squash it out of them.
    Oh... And that, of course.

In my experience JHS ALTs get neglected and HS ALTs often get asked to do everything by themself. Depend what kind of person you are as to which you prefer, neither is what your job is actually supposed to be.

Lazy jets.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Okay guys. Let's keep this on topic. I didn't mean to inspire an evaluation of workplace ethics. Just wanted to see how likely seeing my friend perform in his play would be.

Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    Okay guys. Let's keep this on topic. I didn't mean to inspire an evaluation of workplace ethics. Just wanted to see how likely seeing my friend perform in his play would be.
    Oh dear. I guess that depends on whether you show your supe your (apparently) oh-so-glorious gaijin paipai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Wow Osaka. Deepest apologies. For it is I who caused your grief by diverting the topic. Something is rotten in Denmark.

I'm really not sure what else can be said, on topic, about speculation over whether or not you can use paid leave in your first week on the job.
    Last edited by coheeshosho; June 9th, 2014 at 13:05.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    A good deal are maybe tape recorders, but a good deal aren't as well. Just because you aren't utilised properly at work isn't an excuse to call those who are "delusional".
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We're not actual teachers, we don't do the hours they do, we're not obligated to be there on our "days off", we can take nenkyuu and no one bats an eyelid. Sure

But saying "this isn't a job" is the reason ALTs get a bad reputation in some circles. You're employed by the government to work in a school. You should act appropriately.
    I agree with both posts. Well said. I take this job seriously and I am not delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

ask your superviser if you can take off after getting here. Just realize that it will probably be seen as a bad sign of things to come.

ESID
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We're not actual teachers, we don't do the hours they do, we're not obligated to be there on our "days off", we can take nenkyuu and no one bats an eyelid. Sure
    Just because they are a nation of idiots who bend over and take it doesn't mean we should feel any compulsion to do the same or feel less respect for ourselves when we don't (we're gone after a few years, making a good impression doesn't matter like it will for them). It's a salaried job and a minimum 40-hour week. It's a job, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Just because they are a nation of idiots who bend over and take it doesn't mean we should feel any compulsion to do the same or feel less respect for ourselves when we don't (we're gone after a few years, making a good impression doesn't matter like it will for them). It's a salaried job and a minimum 40-hour week. It's a job, end of story.
    That half of my post was responding to the "we're not real teachers" part of the argument. The other half, which you removed, said "but it's a job, end of story". Which means we agree. Yay for us.
    ...because Japan.