Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

To answer your question, I spent the first two days going to meet with my schools with my supe and also getting signed up for the bank, etc. (it doesn't matter if you know how to do these things yourself, they're going to want to do them with you). Where I am we have speech contests in fall (JHS) so i was immediately put to work after that. School starts the last (full?) week of August where I am but this changes by region/prefecture. I would echo that it probably isn't the best way to make a good impression on your coworkers but that's a personal decision, some people just aren't worried about that (though I think most of us wouldn't recommend doing this on a day that you have classes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Yeah I was just adding my thoughts on why I agree with you. People who say "you don't work like Japanese teachers do" forget that it's their own bloody fault for allowing themselves to be screwed over. It's like saying "yeah ALTs are overpaid because they get paid more than teachers in the US"; whose fault is that, nation of people who hold a similar view to unionising as they do to the boogeyman?

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    To answer your question, I spent the first two days going to meet with my schools with my supe and also getting signed up for the bank, etc. (it doesn't matter if you know how to do these things yourself, they're going to want to do them with you). Where I am we have speech contests in fall (JHS) so i was immediately put to work after that. School starts the last (full?) week of August where I am but this changes by region/prefecture. I would echo that it probably isn't the best way to make a good impression on your coworkers but that's a personal decision, some people just aren't worried about that (though I think most of us wouldn't recommend doing this on a day that you have classes).
    Would exposure of sideboob help matters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Maybe some dainty feet or leopard print bras could do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Yeah I was just adding my thoughts on why I agree with you. People who say "you don't work like Japanese teachers do" forget that it's their own bloody fault for allowing themselves to be screwed over. It's like saying "yeah ALTs are overpaid because they get paid more than teachers in the US"; whose fault is that, nation of people who hold a similar view to unionising as they do to the boogeyman?
    I love this post.

Seriously, there are times that my coworkers are whinging on about how erai they are and I want to just be like "you can do it the Japanese way and shut up about it or you can gaijin smash it and deal with Japanese people judging the hell out of you, but don't expect sympathy from me just because you made the choice. You're an adult." Especially when they then try to frame it in terms of "well I guess this is just why Japanese people are better than everyone else"
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 9th, 2014 at 15:16.

leopard print bras
    Remarkably enough, this is how I got extra winter leave.

Not my proudest moment.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    I love this post.

Seriously, there are times that my coworkers are whinging on about how erai they are and I want to just be like "you can do it the Japanese way and shut up about it or you can gaijin smash it and deal with Japanese people judging the hell out of you, but don't expect sympathy from me just because you made the choice. You're an adult." Especially when they then try to frame it in terms of "well I guess this is just why Japanese people are better than everyone else"
    I just tell them how much my mother who is a high school principal gets to go on holiday every year and give them the ol' blank stare.

Don't forget the sheer top. Leopard print only works if other people can see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?

Thank you for those of you who shared your experiences politely. As I mentioned, I did not have any idea about what the work schedule or work load would be like for August, so now I am able to better consider my plans.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

What's a dainty feet bra?

Ok! Good luck with taking off work the first week.

to be fair when i arrived i spent 3 days driving around with my BOE supervisor getting set up and visiting schools then I had the rest of the month off until school started in early september. I continued to have every school holiday off for the entire time I was there with the unwritten rule that I never used nenkyu/took time off when the kids were in school. I only had about 16 days nenkyu used in 5 years and all of them were for the various hospital stays I had.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

"I had a situation way more lenient than 99% of JETs, that's why I know you're all lazy whingers" classic Ini.

to be fair when i arrived i spent 3 days driving around with my BOE supervisor getting set up and visiting schools then I had the rest of the month off until school started in early september. I continued to have every school holiday off for the entire time I was there with the unwritten rule that I never used nenkyu/took time off when the kids were in school. I only had about 16 days nenkyu used in 5 years and all of them were for the various hospital stays I had.
    There are still a few places that are like this, although they're getting fewer.

Mine went like this:

Day One: Get to the prefecture from TO, meet predecessor and supervisor. Go set meet the BoE and tour the school/meet the teachers hanging out during summer vacation.

Day Two: Go to village hall and fill out paperwork. Stop half-way and go to the bank to open an account. (this took about 2 hours.)

Day Three: Go back to village hall and fill out the rest of the paperwork. Get car registered/pay insurance etc. Afternoon free.

Next Monday: Go to village hall and pick up schedule for the rest of August. Rest of day off. (was hot as dicks, so I sat in the AC and unpacked.)

Tuesday: Go to Elementary school and meet the principal and teachers. Fuck back off to the apartment before 10 AM. Go to buy a phone with supervisor.

Wednesday: Free day. Finished unpacking and sorting through the predecessor's junk.

Thursday and Friday: Go to JHS in the morning and help with speech contest practice. Leave before noon.

Next Monday: Free day - went to help with speech contest again - left before noon again.

Tuesday-Thursday: Prefectural orientation. Sit through workshops and lectures about what being an ALT means and the consequences of 3.11.

Friday - the rest of the month: Help with speech contest practice, organize desk and chill in the Staff room with the other teachers. Endure the 15 billion earthquakes a week etc...

I was the worst ALT evar when I was on JET. Thats how I can get into the mind of the lazy JET.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    Hmmm. At risk of seeming like a lazy asshole who doesn't wanna work, I was really hoping to do a quick overnightish trip to Tokyo on a weekday in late August to see a friend perform in a show. Can anyone fill me in on when we can start requesting nenkyuu? Otherwise I'm gonna have to scrap these plans I think... PS. I'll be placed in Kobe.
    Also I just realized, it might be a little hectic, but since you're in Kobe, you might be able to make it without having to take a full day off work. You could just ask to come in a couple hours late, which sounds a lot better than asking for a full day.

Guess I got lucky with my summer schedule... After arriving, besides the first few days where my supervisor helped me setting up stuff and shopping, I was free minus prefecture orientation. My sup basically said "take nenkyuu if you leave the country. Otherwise have fun and get to know the city".

Not me. I don't even get Obon off and they won't give time off in lieu of OT. That being said, my BOE is pretty good for the most part.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

When I got here, I spent exactly one day being shuttled around to get things done (mainly because I was super prepared and my supervisor had NEVER done it before), then I spent the next 3 weeks with my thumb up my butt, and occasionally helping with speech practice.

I opted not to use my special holiday leave in august like many other people did, and I was very glad that I saved them for the following July.

I spent most of my time at work learning/researching/planning trips, and then went places on the weekend by myself via train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.