Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 80 of 80

Thread: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

  1. #61

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Not me. I don't even get Obon off and they won't give time off in lieu of OT. That being said, my BOE is pretty good for the most part.
    Obon was my favorite. It was just the VP sitting in the staff room glaring at me and the other ALT, because we didn't use our nenkyuu for Obon and somebody had to be there to babysit us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

  2. #62
    Senior Member kenkennif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Thorin's Halls
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    As a once young lad of school boy age I never thought I would say this.. but here, I hate summer vacation...

  3. #63
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by kenkennif View Post
    As a once young lad of school boy age I never thought I would say this.. but here, I hate summer vacation...
    Do you mean that in your current role? Or in general?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  4. #64
    Senior Member kenkennif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Thorin's Halls
    Posts
    877

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    It's just the long hot days sitting at a desk with nothing to do.. at least in school there's things going on, Summer vacation stuck at the BoE is just really hell - we changed office a few months ago too so now there is no air-con or internet.. I'll probably take some time off and go on a trip somewhere but not for too long cause I'd like to use my holiday time more sparingly this year.

    (At least you guys will get some peace and quiet from me for a month!!)

  5. #65
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    I like you!

    Then again, I like just about everyone. Except that one guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  6. #66

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    Hmmm. At risk of seeming like a lazy asshole who doesn't wanna work, I was really hoping to do a quick overnightish trip to Tokyo on a weekday in late August to see a friend perform in a show. Can anyone fill me in on when we can start requesting nenkyuu? Otherwise I'm gonna have to scrap these plans I think... PS. I'll be placed in Kobe.
    I am not in Japan at the moment, and it sounds like most schools won't have any REAL use for you in the office when you first arrive, but don't you think that sounds a little unprofessional? I don't know about you, but it sounds like you would be starting your new job off on the wrong foot to me.
    Last edited by spman2099; June 15th, 2014 at 06:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

  7. #67
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    I am not in Japan at the moment, and it sounds like most schools won't have any REAL use for you in the office when you first arrive, but don't you think that sounds a little unprofessional? I don't know about you, but it sounds like you would be starting your new job off on the wrong foot to me.
    Word
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  8. #68

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    I am not in Japan at the moment, and it sounds like most schools won't have any REAL use for you in the office when you first arrive, but don't you think that sounds a little unprofessional? I don't know about you, but it sounds like you would be starting your new job off on the wrong foot to me.

    There might seem like there is nothing for you to do, but if you ask around and talk to the teachers, they'll find stuff for you to 'help' with. And it well start the relationship off on the right foot. Unless they're assholes, in which case they'll just laugh at you. Talk to your JTEs and get caught up on where they are in the school year/textbook.

  9. #69
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by spman2099 View Post
    I am not in Japan at the moment, and it sounds like most schools won't have any REAL use for you in the office when you first arrive, but don't you think that sounds a little unprofessional? I don't know about you, but it sounds like you would be starting your new job off on the wrong foot to me.
    Agreed. The CO might not care, nevertheless , we're here to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    There might seem like there is nothing for you to do, but if you ask around and talk to the teachers, they'll find stuff for you to 'help' with. And it well start the relationship off on the right foot. Unless they're assholes, in which case they'll just laugh at you. Talk to your JTEs and get caught up on where they are in the school year/textbook.
    Unless you're a municipal ALT and the expectation is that you sit quietly in the BOE surrounded by public servants and do nothing. My first month was torture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  10. #70

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Unless you're a municipal ALT and the expectation is that you sit quietly in the BOE surrounded by public servants and do nothing. My first month was torture!
    My fellow newbie and I nearly killed each other in the first month. Four weeks at the BOE... another day, and there would have been blood on the filing cabinets.
    ES and JHS ALT

  11. #71
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    My fellow newbie and I nearly killed each other in the first month. Four weeks at the BOE... another day, and there would have been blood on the filing cabinets.
    Ha ha, I can imagine. The thought of being stuck in a room with one other person for a month is not a pleasant one. Two people can be a really bad combo because the two people get on each other's nerves. I find having a third person really cuts the annoyance factor.

    I didn't have that problem though. I'm the only municipal ALT is my city, so I sat alone and studied Japanese all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  12. #72
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Summer's not that bad if you can find somewhere to hide and take naps.

  13. #73
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    And believe me, there are lots of places to go hide and take naps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  14. #74

  15. #75
    keepin' it real ihatefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Tokyo
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    And believe me, there are lots of places to go hide and take naps.
    I found my pred's futon bed/ couch at one of my schools. Visiting that school was never the same, got some REM in that place.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

  16. #76

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    I find JET is all about finding your own work to do. I've made myself pretty busy with preparing fun activities, studying Japanese, prepping for club, doing the English board, and taking MOOCs to keep my education up-to-date. Make yourself some goals and work towards them.

    As for taking nenji right away, some ALTs get some extra summer vacation days. However, school begins usually around August 21-ish. I have had to miss seeing a local band from my hometown play in Tokyo. Just shrug it off. My first September in Japan has been my busiest month in my personal history. ESID, but when you're new, you're generally gonna be busy. I recommend expecting to be in your area for a bit before you can have the time to take nenji.

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansai
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    If you get placed at a high-level SHS then your school may well be running summer English seminars for the third-year students. I'd recommend going along to check them out. I did and it allowed me to get a good idea of the kind of stuff that my prospective students were required to study and what the general style of teaching was over here.

  18. #78

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Heh, just got the information for the CLAIR Japanese course. They're doing away with the Advanced course and now only offer the Beginner/Intermediate level....

    I did the Advanced this past go round and my BOE wants me to take the Intermediate level (because its the highest they offer, aside from the translation course...)

  19. #79

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    Quote Originally Posted by OdysseyOfNoises View Post
    If you get placed at a high-level SHS then your school may well be running summer English seminars for the third-year students. I'd recommend going along to check them out. I did and it allowed me to get a good idea of the kind of stuff that my prospective students were required to study and what the general style of teaching was over here.
    1. Read aloud from the textbook.

    2. Spew grammar terminology in Japanese at them for 50 minutes every class.

    3. ????

    4. NIHONGO TSUJINAI

    You almost certainly aren't going to be teaching 3rd years anyway, don't waste your summer holiday.

  20. #80
    Senior Member osakavamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: First Month on JET (This Upcoming August)

    The whooole point of this post was to get advice. Like I said before, I didn't realize until reading some things here about scheduling that we would be expected to work in August. I had no frame of reference. So I'm already working on getting my ticket to the event sold because, as many of you have said, I've no desire to make a bad impression for the sake of a single night/day off in Tokyo. There will always be other shows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •