Thread: Any Hospitality students who have been in JET?

Default Any Hospitality students who have been in JET?

hi,

Thinking of applying for JET for the next term.

i currently work in a hotel as a supervisor.

So my question is are there any JET's who were in the hospitality industry...and then went back to it successfully.

I mean this obviously counts as a international experience and the chance to learn another language and experience different culture, not to mention that the job may polish skills in terms of organization skills, planing skills etc.

Just want to know if there is a real example...

Thanks

Default Re: Any Hospitality students who have been in JET?

You'll definitely learn a new language and culture but organization and planning skills will depend on where you are. Some ALTs don't plan anything (at work) so it's hard to say for sure! (Not in hospitality so I can't comment on that.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Banned

Do you have reason to believe that it will be difficult to return to your current line of work if you spend a few years in Japan? Experience doesn't go away as you develop new skills. Even if you come back raving about "those damn orientals", I'm sure some Holiday Inn in Omaha will be short a night auditor or something.

Applying to JET is well and good, but your hotel (depending on if its a large chain of course) may actually have programs in place sending supervisors and managers and general staff overseas. My step-mom is a manager in a major hotel chain and has been to both China and Egypt on 3 month stints to work in hotels there. Maybe not what you're looking for, but a possible alternative depending on how your application goes!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'm wondering if you work for a small chain. My friend works for one of the big ones in Banff and has travelled quite a bit as whatever level of manager he is.

Not really sure how coming on JET would benefit your career. Also, do you have a university degree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If you just did it for a year, picked up some basic Japanese and cultural knowledge it might look good.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

You might learn a thing or three about hospitality or amazing ways to be a "polite asshole" or "the nicest bitch" but Japan as a whole isn't so organized. (Yes the trains run on time, but every Japanese office I see is just piles of paperwork and shit everywhere)
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

i have a masters degree.... i have always wanted to do this..just never got the chance to. I am looking for a different job but havent had any luck yet. PLus i really need a change. Still as the interviews for this wont start till next year, i am going to go for it if i dont find anything new and interesting in my field...