Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car in Japan

Default Re: Buying a Car in Japan

you cant just say "a car". what make and model? a 10 year old skyline r34 GTR is going to be worth a hell of a lot more than a 10 year old honda life.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    My pred has offered to sell me their car for around 20man. Although the prospect of having a car as soon as I get to Japan is really tempting, I really have no idea if it is a good deal or not. It's a 10+ year old car with a fair amount of km on it so I'm rather cautious.

What do you guys think? I'm willing to pay some sort of premium for getting the whole car shopping process taken care of before I arrive, but I don't want to get completely ripped off either.
    I doubt it's worth it. As Ini said, it depends completely on the car, but the odds, I think, are not in your favor. It's probably an old piece of crap that your pred is just vastly overvaluing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

find out what you are getting for the 20man. if hes going to work with your supervisor and it includes the transfer of ownership, registering the parking space in your name, new plates if applicable, comes with tax and shaken etc and the car itself is in reasonable condition then it might not be too bad. if its a piece of junk and hes just intending to leave it in your parking space and bugger off with 20man in his pocket then probably not worth it.

find out:
    make
    model
    mileage
    time left on shaken
    what work was done during the last shaken (if its up to 100,000km then lots of things start to need replacing)
    where is it registered
    does the cost include registering it in your name
    get photos of interior and exterior

20man isnt a lot for a car but lots of ALTs drive around in some really dodgy deathtraps.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Also, ask about the tires. It'll probably have two sets and you should know how long they've been used.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Also, ask about the tires. It'll probably have two sets and you should know how long they've been used.
    Also, how they've been stored. If they just chuck them outside during the summer/winter, the tires will degrade faster.

find out what you are getting for the 20man. if hes going to work with your supervisor and it includes the transfer of ownership, registering the parking space in your name, new plates if applicable, comes with tax and shaken etc and the car itself is in reasonable condition then it might not be too bad. if its a piece of junk and hes just intending to leave it in your parking space and bugger off with 20man in his pocket then probably not worth it.

find out:
    make
    model
    mileage
    time left on shaken
    what work was done during the last shaken (if its up to 100,000km then lots of things start to need replacing)
    where is it registered
    does the cost include registering it in your name
    get photos of interior and exterior

20man isnt a lot for a car but lots of ALTs drive around in some really dodgy deathtraps.
    It's a 2001 Smart MCC
    140,000 km (this seems like a bit much, though I'll admit I'm not a car expert)
    Paperwork included in the price
    Shaken due in April
    Photos look good enough

I saw a few people in this thread mention snow tires, but my placement is pretty warm and it doesn't seem to get much snow, so I don't think I'll need them?

smart cars are expensive. 20man aint bad for one. looking around on the interwebs for a smart car with that mileage you are looking at around 16-40man on the window and 23-50 on the road. A japanese person would shit their pants at the thought of a car with that mileage. You should be ok but those little engines might start to go wrong around the 160000km mark (100000miles)

It's a step upmarket from the usual "ALT Special" but at that age and mileage you could be in for a nasty shaken bill in April.

Thanks for the advice guys. As I expected the age and mileage of the car is a bit worrying, though I'll admit I'm still tempted.

Ini, I checked out some cars near my area on that site. There are some slightly more expensive ones with significantly less mileage. I'll have to do some more research and think about this.

also think of the area. a smart car is great in the middle of a city where the parking spaces are tiny but if you have to commute 30km to work everyday/drive across 2 mountain ranges to get to the nearest city on the weekends then you might want something with a bit more grunt.

Smart cars have the cool foreign car uniqueness about them and having a car all set up for you from the moment you arrive is great. for the sake of 20man I would almost be tempted to get it* then scrap the bugger in april if you decide you are going to stay longer and spend a bit of cash on getting something nicer. If you decide to leave after a year then shaken it in april and just charge your successor for the cost of the shaken when you leave.

*and then I would remember I'm a red blooded man who wouldn't be seen dead in a girly car like that.

Nope - that car is going to cost you in the long run. It's a white plate with the performance and safety of a kei-car. Good for fender benders but in a real accident you're going to have issues.

Shaken will cost you another 10 man.

If you don't have to get on the expressways or drive up mountains (actual mountains, with switchbacks etc) - then forget it and get a newer car with more shaken for the same amount. Figure it out when you get here and get a car you want. The biggest part of that 20 man is paying for convenience - ask a JTE or someone from the BoE to help you get a car in August/September.

shaken will cost a lot more than 10 man but dont let that worry you. People who worry about shaken, road tax, fuel economy etc when buying cars are boring and you should immediately ignore their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    It's a white plate with the performance and safety of a kei-car. Good for fender benders but in a real accident you're going to have issues.
    That isn't true. Smart cars are actually pretty safe and crash well. Much better than a lot of cars much bigger than them.

That being said, I don't like them.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    That isn't true. Smart cars are actually pretty safe and crash well. Much better than a lot of cars much bigger than them.
    Well, to an extent. At some point, the reality of the laws of physics comes into play. If I run into one while driving my 1979 Chevy Suburban, I sure hope I don't know the occupants.

Banned

A 1979 Chevy Suburban? Guys, if you drive your smart car into my Zeppelin, you're gonna have a bad time.

Alas, I don't own it any longer. Made for an awesome vehicle for a 16-year-old to drive during high school, though.

Should I read "drive" as "make out in?"

The rear seats were all removed, thick carpet was installed, along with a couple of bean-bag chairs, the windows were tinted opaque black, and the interior lighting was a soft red light.

I f*cking loved high school (and it loved me).

If that all sounds too good to be true, don't stress; there are more than a few embarrassing stories that came along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Well, to an extent. At some point, the reality of the laws of physics comes into play. If I run into one while driving my 1979 Chevy Suburban, I sure hope I don't know the occupants.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    A 1979 Chevy Suburban? Guys, if you drive your smart car into my Zeppelin, you're gonna have a bad time.
    I used to feel the same but the Smart is a pretty well built car. Check out this piece top gear did on crashing them.

SMART car crash (TEST) - YouTube
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.