Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Car in Japan

Default Re: Buying a Car in Japan

Top Gear is a TV show (a good show, but still a TV show). Crash ratings for the Smart Car are mediocre at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

5th gear not top gear.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I used to feel the same but the Smart is a pretty well built car. Check out this piece top gear did on crashing them.

SMART car crash (TEST) - YouTube
    I didn't click on the link. Did they actually test crash it into a rigid airship to see how it would respond to such an everyday occurrence?

5th gear not top gear.....
    Damn, you're right.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Also, the big thing that saves lives isn't a strong frame - which the SMART has in spades. Its plenty of crumple room to bleed off the energy of smashing into something at a combined 100 kph. Instead,the frame stays intact and you get internal injuries from seatbelt etc.

It isn't really 'unsafe' (at least not compared with any kei-car, because they're deathtraps) - but it won't be any cheaper to own than a larger white plate, while being less efficient, less safe, and less powerful.

good chance it is a kei car. the majority of the 2001 japan models didnt have the 1 litre engine and were classed as kei cars.

need to know the model, smart mcc is just the make.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

From my understanding, it's a kei car. At least, since the plate is yellow and not white.

so in the world of kei cars its probably the safest by a long way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

This is certainly true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Well that's certainly true.

I didn't think they were kei cars, either, but if that's the case, they're probably not all that bad in comparison.

I nevar drive a kei unless I absolutely have to, though, and I definitely wouldn't own one (tried it once; nope).
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

the k model is a kei car
    the fortwo model isnt
    the crossblade is that freaky looking "convertible" thing.
    the roadster is the baby sportscar

Shit, I didn't even know they had multiple models on the market...

Default Buying a Car in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Well that's certainly true.

I didn't think they were kei cars, either, but if that's the case, they're probably not all that bad in comparison.

I nevar drive a kei unless I absolutely have to, though, and I definitely wouldn't own one (tried it once; nope).
    This is why I will have to get a kei car when I get a car ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404883481.919297.jpg

I have to fit through there.
    If our shitty neighbors didn't build over their property line I would get an EVO V but nope econobox for us.
    Last edited by ihatefall; July 9th, 2014 at 14:26.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

The other reason kei cars are nice is that they're super cheap to maintain if you don't have to put a ton of mileage on them (aka it sits in the parking spot at home more than anywhere else - like me.)

If you're going to spend any major amount of time in it, you might as well get a nice car.

Banned

How difficult is it to rent a car for a day or a week if I want to make a road trip, but don't want to actually own a car?

Based on the number of signs I see, not hard. not cheap though.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Not really that expensive. I've rented a big-arse moving truck for around 6000 for the day, and a kei for under 5000. Unlimited mileage. You hafta refuel it, of course. You have to have an actual J-license at my favorite rental house; I doubt anyone would rent you a car on an IDP.

Won't rent w/ an IDP unless it's a longer term rent (3-5 months)

We had a local ALT, American with an IDP, crash his car during his first year. He ended up paying an arm and a leg to rent a car. I think they charged him 100,000 for 14 days. It can be done but it is expensive.

half of that would have been insurance probably.....