Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official - Officially Dead?

Default Re: Official - Officially Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    That's 1:29 am your time. Japan time that was 5:29 pm.
    I guess I didn't change my time zone to Japan before moving over here.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    welcome everyone to our cesspool, the water is warmer over here
    Who peed?
    いいみで

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teishou View Post
    Who peed?
    It-Was-Me-Jim-Carrey-Liar-Liar.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Well, now he has infinite lives.
    Not if you don't press START he doesn't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Nooo Debitokun don't gibu! Don't gibu!
    Giving it to him would be the fastest way to kill the story possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KIKKI.K View Post
    This really is just insane. I cannot imagine why they would shut down the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    I.. can?
    Yeah, I can easily imagine why; there are a plethora of reasons. Official was a poorly thought-out experiment that, in my opinion, is almost certainly rather counterproductive where CLAIR's/JET's/MEXT's long-term goals are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    It was a cesspool of the stupid, creepy, desperate and the naive.

welcome everyone to our cesspool, the water is warmer over here
    A snarky way of looking at the situation; however, there are some elements of truth in that metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    It might have something to do with that thread complaining about the Hokkaido Prefectural BOE, among other things.
    Possibly, but I kinda doubt it?

I think so too. I know we're all pessimistic assholes on this board but is anyone else thinking we should try and spread this around the interwebs? Given that the OP in that thread has decided to go home, it can't really hurt him, and if there's a chance it ends up on 2chan or any news site it might end up coming back to bite those fuckers in the ass.
    I agree that it ought to be publicized a bit. Has anyone PMed the OP?

Shame really. He had some good points and legitimate complaints. I remember him talking about when he took his daughters to an onsen and they wouldn't let the more foreign looking one in, it made me a lot more sympathetic to him. But he was just a bit too crazy social justice warrior taking offense at stupid shit like "micro-aggression" and other tumblr nonsense. Perfect example of why that approach is completely unproductive.
    word

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Giving it to him would be the fastest way to kill the story possible.
    Probably so.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I.. can?
    I can imagine why they shut down Aspiring, but not why they shut the whole thing down.

I can imagine why they shut down Aspiring, but not why they shut the whole thing down.
    Let me ask you (quite sincerely): is there any aspect of the Official forums that would--in any way--serve to legitimately improve the public appearance of the JET Program, CLAIR, MEXT, or Japan (not counting the Teaching Materials Board)? Really think about it, and be realistic in your assessment.
    Last edited by word; June 18th, 2014 at 12:54.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I was going to reply properly, but word made the point for me. Remember that the forum was the official representation of the company employees and prospective employees, as far as the public sees.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I mean, I guess it made them seem slightly less like an impotent faceless bureaucracy that doesn't actually provide any tangible help for JETs with problems, but aside from that, no. Especially not when that idiot William or whatever from SA was trying to make himself its mascot.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Let me ask you (quite sincerely): is there any aspect of the Official forums that would--in any way--serve to legitimately improve the public appearance of the JET Program, CLAIR, MEXT, or Japan (not counting the Teaching Materials Board)? Really think about it, and be realistic in your assessment.
    Haha. Well, if you want to preserve the all is well and rosy sanitised version of JET, sure Official isn't great for that. If you want to provide help and support for JETs, then I see no reson to shut them down, especially since the forums were made visible to only registered users.

You have to be kidding?!? All official did was preserve the rosy sanitized version of jet. But it had been around a few years now and like all forums it was starting to be forced kicking and screaming into reality. That's why they closed it. BD was a friendly place at first, then it become real and itil sprung up. Itil was mocked for being the place full of rainbows and carebears in the first few years. Then we started to call a spade a spade and the official forums sprung up.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Haha. Well, if you want to preserve the all is well and rosy sanitised version of JET, sure Official isn't great for that. If you want to provide help and support for JETs, then I see no reson to shut them down, especially since the forums were made visible to only registered users.
    But anyone could register. There was no filter; no way to ensure that only JETs signed up.

Also, there are--ostensibly--preexisting structures in place geared toward providing help and support for JETs. These existed long before the forums existed, and continue to exist now that the forums are shut down. Realistically, these structures are probably more practical and effective than the forums, anyway.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It might have also been that they didn't want to expend resources on maintaining it, or whoever was doing it at CLAIR has or is about to move onto other work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I didn't see it was the Hokkaido thread really that bad?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

It's been largely preserved in The Lounge by uthink. It wasn't a bad thread; it was just appalling that a JET was treated in such a manner.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Especially not when that idiot William or whatever from SA was trying to make himself its mascot.
    South America? San Andreas? Something Awful?

South America? San Andreas? Something Awful?
    He said "idiot" so I'm going to assume South Africa.

South Africa. That dude was mentally ill or something. I've encountered him on FB a couple of times; he's just as insufferable there. His advice is usually not bad, but my god; I have no idea how someone becomes such a pompous arse.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I have no idea how someone becomes such a pompous arse.
    trololo.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.