Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official - Officially Dead?

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Default Re: Official - Officially Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by KIKKI.K View Post
    If you want to provide help and support for JETs,
    local PAs, AJET and BOEs are all the help and support a normal and rational person needs. Seriously, JET has TOO MUCH help and support. With a national forum the only thing that can happen is a bunch of ESID and "advice" from either a PHD in Linguistics, or Lianwen.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    South Africa............, but my god; I have no idea how someone becomes such a pompous arse.
    Didn't you answer your own question?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Maybe? I've met lots of folks from South Africa, but only one that I liked. Never met a white person from SA who wasn't incredibly racist, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Maybe next they'll just kill JET. Oh wouldn't that be sweet.

You have to be kidding?!? All official did was preserve the rosy sanitized version of jet. But it had been around a few years now and like all forums it was starting to be forced kicking and screaming into reality. That's why they closed it. BD was a friendly place at first, then it become real and itil sprung up. Itil was mocked for being the place full of rainbows and carebears in the first few years. Then we started to call a spade a spade and the official forums sprung up.
    So what Japanistan did wrong was skip the happy stage and go straight to bitching?

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Maybe next they'll just kill JET. Oh wouldn't that be sweet.
    I just had this really bizarre mental image of a sniffling Japanese boy...

"No, Mama!"

"There's no hope for him now. He's sufferin'. You know we gotta do it."

"I know, Mama... But he was my foreign exchange and teaching program. I'll do it."

[takes shotgun from Mama, shoots JET in the face]
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Let me ask you (quite sincerely): is there any aspect of the Official forums that would--in any way--serve to legitimately improve the public appearance of the JET Program
    "Public appearance of the JET program" he says. Dassa good one!
    Soft like butter, hard not t'pour : A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast 'n bulbous. Got me?

I agree with Word, what point did the forum really serve from Clair's viewpoint? I don't think the forum furthers CLAIR's goals at all. It is just one more little headache for them to worry about. Why keep it active for the 20 odd regular posters so they can bitch and complain about their CO's?

Becky's also right, there is ample support out there already. I would say that Facebook itself has almost rendered the forum kind of useless.

In my prefecture, most of the JETs are pretty active on our local AJET Facebook page, and they can offer way more relevant support than what I found on the official forum.

I do like hearing from ALT's from across the country, but ITIL does a good job of that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I agree with Word, what point did the forum really serve from Clair's viewpoint? I don't think the forum furthers CLAIR's goals at all. It is just one more little headache for them to worry about. Why keep it active for the 20 odd regular posters so they can bitch and complain about their CO's?

Becky's also right, there is ample support out there already. I would say that Facebook itself has almost rendered the forum kind of useless.

In my prefecture, most of the JETs are pretty active on our local AJET Facebook page, and they can offer way more relevant support than what I found on the official forum.

I do like hearing from ALT's from across the country, but ITIL does a good job of that.
    I think after last year's Google groups fiasco the writing was on the wall. JET Yahoo groups got cut off in the middle of the shortlisting/placement period and everything moved to different forums - there were a few private sub-reddits and a bunch of closed and open Facebook groups that sprang up. It was easier for the Facebook groups to maintain order (no anonymity in closed groups) - and weed out the really unreasonably nervous folks (like a 200 comment post about some people freaking out about mukade.) Moreover, it isn't publicly accessible, so less chance of it showing up on blogs or 2chan.

1. I'm enough of a conspiracy theorist to call the Hokkaido BOE thread the tipping point on this.

I mean seriously, what would you do (as the boss) if you had a forum where literally the only active thread was your workers talking about how they'd been maimed and injured in the line of work, and you were fucking them/legally shady? Delete the thread and watch as an "OMG CENSORSHIP, THEY DON'T WANT ANYONE TO KNOW HOW IT IS!" thread pops up every day? Or just delete the whole forum with no explanation so that no one can pin it on the one thread?

2. The point the forum served: making sure that ITIL wasn't the first thing to come up when you google "JET forums." That can't POSSIBLY be better for them. They just gave up control 100% and I bet they'll regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    2. The point the forum served: making sure that ITIL wasn't the first thing to come up when you google "JET forums." That can't POSSIBLY be better for them. They just gave up control 100% and I bet they'll regret it.
    So I just did this and while we are second, The JET Programme - Wikis, Forums and Facebook Groups is third. Apparently we are worse than Japanistan.

Hmm, that is not cool.

Edit: Is it just me, or is the jet-programme.com site down?
    Last edited by word; June 19th, 2014 at 09:22.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Down for me to. (Thank god. It's a vile website to navigate and use)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

downforeveryoneorjustme.com

you're welcome.

Hmmm, jetprogramme.org is up for me, maybe it's your school's firewall?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That's not the site we're talking about :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Oh? What site is it then?

jet-programme.com

TBH, I'd never heard of the site before. I usually don't bother looking more than two results down on a Google search, unless it's something really specific I'm searching for.

Edit: Thanks for the link, teal. I'd seen that before, but I never think to use it.

jet-programme.com

TBH, I'd never heard of the site before. I usually don't bother looking more than two results down on a Google search, unless it's something really specific I'm searching for.

Edit: Thanks for the link, teal. I'd seen that before, but I never think to use it.
    That site is working for me, but i must agree that it looks awful and would hate to navigate it...
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Hmm, yeah; it seems to be back up now.

Someone told me they started a thread under "Teaching Materials" in the official forum asking, "why are the forums closed." It was deleted within 5 minutes. Good response time but they still have some work to do if they want to rival North Korea.