Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

Default Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

Sorry if this is a repeated thread. I researched it slightly and couldn't find anything on the forum. Has anyone ever gotten into a bad argument with a JTE that you have worked with? What happened? Did you win?

I don't have one to contribute, but I think about yelling at my JTEs on a daily basis. They suck hard and I hate their ass faces.

Default Re: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

I'm fairly sure "bad arguments" are rare. Most ITILers just passive-aggressive the hell out of the JTE in question then come here to moan about it.

And you never win an argument with a JTE. Ever.
    ...because Japan.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post

And you never win an argument with a JTE. Ever.
    this.

I've had two arguments with JTEs that were above and beyond the normal "Let's argue over a point to find which one is correct". Both arguments ended poorly, and I wouldn't recommend you ever do it. Unless you want to end up never talking to that JTE again and lots of weird nasty looks from a coworker.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

The way to "argue" with JTEs is to stop doing aidzuchi and stare at them blankly. When they peter out you pause for a while and then ask them a really straightforward question. Putting them in situations where they have to make a decision and be responsible for it. You are the assistant after all. When they're trying to tell you to do something responding with "well if that's what you want me to do..." is a good way to short circuit them.

Of course it's far better to figure out how to interact with them so you can get along better in general and everyone will be happy. But if any of us were any good at talking to people we wouldn't have left our miserable existences back home, right?

Good question but I've never had that yet & have not really heard of much of that happening either... would be interesting to hear if anybody had.

I don't really argue with my JTEs, but they argue with each other sometimes. It's really awkward, too, like watching your parents fight.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    I don't really argue with my JTEs, but they argue with each other sometimes. It's really awkward, too, like watching your parents fight.
    My JTE's had it out over who they wanted to select for the Speech contest (in September) as the only students that came forward were 1st years. I don't care, but they crushed the dreams of my cute motivated 1st years... T.T"

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Good point, I've noticed this. At my school, there is an English department chair position and that guy got demoted. So now he and this new chair have bad blood. It's like a showdown to see who can be the least terrible English teacher...

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    this.

I've had two arguments with JTEs that were above and beyond the normal "Let's argue over a point to find which one is correct". Both arguments ended poorly, and I wouldn't recommend you ever do it. Unless you want to end up never talking to that JTE again and lots of weird nasty looks from a coworker.
    Thanks for the post, would you care to elaborate on your experiences? Sounds interesting.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Arguing with Japanese is like masterbating with sandpaper... regardless how dumb an idea it sounds at the outset you're still slightly curious... and then it just hurts for weeks afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The way to "argue" with JTEs is to stop doing aidzuchi and stare at them blankly. When they peter out you pause for a while and then ask them a really straightforward question. Putting them in situations where they have to make a decision and be responsible for it. You are the assistant after all. When they're trying to tell you to do something responding with "well if that's what you want me to do..." is a good way to short circuit them.

Of course it's far better to figure out how to interact with them so you can get along better in general and everyone will be happy. But if any of us were any good at talking to people we wouldn't have left our miserable existences back home, right?
    I subconsciously started doing this to the only JTE who REALLY makes me angry on a consistent basis, then realized how uncomfortable it makes them, then started using it every time they are being insane. I don't honestly think it helps, but it makes me feel better and certainly lets them know what I think of them.

JTE: Excuse me! I have class 2A next...... (aka in literally 2 minutes, if not already begun)
    Me: 0_0
    JTE: umm.... it's not on the schedule.... but....
    Me: 0_____0
    JTE: I have to... er... I have to...
    Me: 0______________________________________0
    JTE: Could you.....
    Me: 0___________________________________________________0
    JTE: Could you go first?
    Me: Sure. (get up, grab stuff, leave, teach half the class on my own while he finishes making the lesson plan)

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post

Me: 0_0

Me: 0_____0

Me: 0______________________________________0

Me: 0___________________________________________________0
    lol
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

A Hot Waffle Injection Wafflehouse's Avatar

I once was talked down to in my first week by one of the teachers for talking with the kids during cleaning. I speak pretty good Japanese but I had no idea wtf he was saying as he was speaking like a shop clerk - very fast and very formal. Took me a couple of mou ikkai for me to figure out he didn't want me distracting the kids.

That's when I realized I was truly in Japan.

Do a 0__________0 the whole time they're talking and then answer them with a single word in dictionary form.

I once out argued/passive-agressived a JTE who demanded I call on students by name in her classes, but refused to make me a seating chart when I told her I didn't know all the names. We went around and around about it, but she never budged even though I felt like I was suggesting reasonable compromises ("I'll call on them if you make me a seating chart." "I can't read all the kanji, so let's have them make English name tags/cards."). She even got mad at one point when another JTE took pity on me and gave me a seating chart. It came to a head one day when she told me to call on the kids and I just said "No" in front of the class. From the look on my JTE's face, you'd think I'd slapped her. I regretted challenging her in front of the students, but I had tried to discuss it with her many times outside of class.

I guess I won, but it was very, very unpleasant and we didn't really stop arguing about it until the students graduated and she was transferred to another school.

How is that filed under win?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Didn't have to let an unclean Japanese name slide across their lips. Sounds like a win to me.

Well. I stood my ground. But that was about the only success of it.
    Last edited by Pnut; June 30th, 2014 at 12:26.

Why didn't you just ask the students their names? It's always nice to learn them anyway.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.