Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

Default Re: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    How is that filed under win?
    Victory by attrition?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordaius View Post
    Victory by attrition?
    It would seem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why didn't you just ask the students their names? It's always nice to learn them anyway.
    I'm just really bad with names. I had been teaching these kids for more than a year and still hadn't managed to learn all the names despite having made a sincere effort. Her actual problem with me was that I wasn't living up to her expectations by not being able to memorise them all. The irony was that when I had a seating chart, I used it and got a lot better at the names in those classes because I could reference them all the time.
    Last edited by Pnut; June 30th, 2014 at 12:32.

How many kids?

I'd have some sympathy for her if I didn't watch JTEs blatantly pick kids from the seating plan every other lesson.

150 at the Junior High, with another 200+ if you count my elementary school.

I had 650+ students at my first school and still managed to learn a lot of their names.

You can always just call out their student numbers, too, if you can't manage to remember.

I learned most of their names last year... but that's cause I nabbed their pictures off the network and shoved them in anki. And it was still rough. I wish I weren't so terrible at names, it's a really useful skill.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    I had 650+ students at my first school and still managed to learn a lot of their names.

You can always just call out their student numbers, too, if you can't manage to remember.
    Student numbers are awesome, especially if you actually learn numbers to faces but make it look like you're randomly pulling numbers out of your ass. I do it in class all the time, where the teacher tells me to choose the answering student, and I just run numbers through my head to keep the class random instead of answering in straight columns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

It helps if you give them nicknames in their head.

Unfortunately "bald idiot who likes baseball" or "girl who hides inside her own hair" could be any one of 10 students in any given class. I don't know how you can think of nicknames for classes of 40 when a lot of them have 0 distinct characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    It helps if you give them nicknames in their head.
    But you should really be using your telepathy to form a team of superheroes instead.

"girl who hides inside her own hair"
    LOL

You have to figure out how to make that a mnemonic device on her actual name though.

Numbers are a lifesaver, as is challenging the kids to janken matches to see who gets to answer. I can't always get away with that, though, because my school uses a point system to encourage the students to answer and we're supposed to call on students with fewer points over students with more points. I'd say I know a lot of my students' names, but it's hard for me to think of them quickly. Sometimes I would just gesture at them if I got desperate.

Truth be told, this wasn't the only issue this JTE and I had and I was pretty much just riding it out until she left.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Mnemonic names for 斉藤 and 佐藤... Does not help when there are about 150 of them in my school.

Then you have like 4 斉藤 彩夏・綾香・彩夏 (ayaka) and sometimes they are even in the same class....

I just give up and recognize them by their faces and relative position in the class. Or say to hell with it and just use numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    my school uses a point system to encourage the students to answer
    sigh.

sigh.
    Double sigh.

I usually give the kids nicknames by funny things they've said or written, appearance, or just random English names. I don't call them by those names, just use them long enough to remember that Make-love's real name is actually Kumi. It's easier with JHS kids since they still do funny stuff. A lot of my SHS kids have been Sleeps-a-lot-kun or Long-hair-in-a-scrunchie-chan.

Yeah I mean I don't usually have a problem remembering the kids who have some personality. The problem is trying to remember whether the zombie in front of me is yuuta or yuuto.

One time two girls came up to me in the hall - one with personality and one without. I called the one by her name, and then the other one demanded that I say her name too. I had no idea. Woops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.