Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

Default Re: Arguments with JTEs (Japanese teachers of English)

When in doubt, the girl is Aya-chan, and the boys are Tarou-kun.

Or just start calling out common last names. Guarantee that there's at least one Yamada or Tanaka in your class.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    one without personality...demanded that I say her name too.
    She actually spoke to you one time? That's a personality if I've ever seen one.

Just tell them you only remember kids who speak to you in English.

I have about 3000 students (I go to an absurd number of schools). Even though we go to most of our schools about three times a year and we count a school as having "regular visits" if they have a visit from one of us once a month, my fellow ALT somehow magically remembers the names of all of the kids. He can do it anytime, anywhere- we're in town and we see someone leaning out a car window and waving as they go past, and he says, "Oh, hey, that was Ayaka-chan from so-and-so elementary school, remember, in Yamada-sensei's class?"

It's like witchcraft. I remember some names, but I also have to use the Japanese name-tags on their desks (which on the upside means that I'm now kick-ass at reading name kanji)
    ES and JHS ALT

Quote Originally Posted by chikorita View Post
    my fellow ALT somehow magically remembers the names of all of the kids. He can do it anytime, anywhere- we're in town and we see someone leaning out a car window and waving as they go past, and he says, "Oh, hey, that was Ayaka-chan from so-and-so elementary school, remember, in Yamada-sensei's class?"
    I bet you a crisp man that he remembers the girls mostly.

Currently in a perpetual fight with one of my JTEs. So far we have had 2 fights about stuff since the April. Turns out I am not alone and, since he is an obscure Japanese person who lacks tact, most people are not to keen on working with him.

I had a chat with my PA about him and the consensus seems to be that they are waiting out his retirement and trying to put him in schools where he won't be thrown from a 4th floor window.

Needless to say we have a strange relationship. Last week we were fighting and he refused to talk to me and this week we are going for lunch. I will keep you guys informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I bet you a crisp man that he remembers the girls mostly.
    well-duh-wqpt5w.jpg

I mean, who doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The ALT at my school is currently engaged in battle with her supervisor. She's leaving next month, and she wants to contact her pred to give them a list of what she has to see if they'd be interested in buying anything or even just inheriting the stuff for free. Her supervisor has told her that she must throw everything away. The entire English and International departments have told this supervisor why that is stupid and wasteful, but she won't budge.

You all know the type too. One of those dainty little Japanese women who are in a perpetual state of panic. Ultra polite, but a complete bitch under the hood. Always shuffling or running and seems incapable of walking like a normal person. A real piece of shit.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

A Hot Waffle Injection Wafflehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    You all know the type too. One of those dainty little Japanese women who are in a perpetual state of panic. Ultra polite, but a complete bitch under the hood.
    That type of person is common? I had run ins with like 3 of them here.

F**k, the two faced intensity of them just blew my mind.

Oh you mean the women who make their own sound effects? Every morning for me starts with an ominous "yushu yushu yushu" as she shuffles up behind me to have a pointless meeting about things we've already discussed 5 times.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Fuck those bitches. Trying to look busy while doing sweet duck all! Useless tits the lot of em and they shouldn't have a fucking job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Oh you mean the women who make their own sound effects? Every morning for me starts with an ominous "yushu yushu yushu" as she shuffles up behind me to have a pointless meeting about things we've already discussed 5 times.
    yosh walking to the printer sitting down, aaaaaaah. yosh open a file where is my file huh I thought it was here where did I put it here? here? no, not here where is it where'd I put it yosh I found it. yosh open file waiting waiting this computer is slow yosh opened yosh printing oh the printer is loud huh oh no it didn't print right WHO CAN HELP ME WITH THE PRINTER?

A constant stream of quiet stream of consciousness Japanese only interrupted by 'yosh's or cries for help. One in every office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

A Hot Waffle Injection Wafflehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Fuck those bitches. Trying to look busy while doing sweet duck all! Useless tits the lot of em and they shouldn't have a fucking job.
    My Jimu runs EVERYWHERE and speaks ultra politely. He's a nice dude but when someone asks him to do something he bolts over and does it.

Jimu's tend to be pretty good, because they end up having to cut through everybody else's BS and get the shit done themselves. My new VP (for this year) yelled at the Jimu in front of nearly all the teachers because she was talking on the phone for 5-10 minutes, and not sounding super formal and businesslike. She was on the phone with the head of the BoE.

The fallout was hilarious to watch. The BoE president is a 70 year old, take no shit and give no shit, wants to retire and travel Japan and the US guy. And he is really smilely and laid back. But he ripped the new VP a new asshole. And he did it in front of all of the teachers and the Principal too.

It's a pain when the JTEs spend an entire class period shouting at a class while you just stand at the side not understanding why or what is going on wishing you could sink into the floor.

how long have you been here?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.