Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Group B Orientation

Default Re: Group B Orientation

Not personally a fan of Tokyo, so I agree with giz and the rest who say to not bother. I might go out during orientation, but I'll probably wait to party until I get to my location. That, or I'll buy some chu-hai for my hotel room and drink up there.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Not personally a fan of Tokyo, so I agree with giz and the rest who say to not bother. I might go out during orientation, but I'll probably wait to party until I get to my location. That, or I'll buy some chu-hai for my hotel room and drink up there.
    Me and my friend sat on the steps of the keio with a bottle of suntory whiskey for a bit. High class yo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Me and my friend sat on the steps of the keio with a bottle of suntory whiskey for a bit. High class yo!
    Sounds like my kind of party.

Default Group B Orientation

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Sounds like my kind of party.
    He was the oldest person at orientation that year and I was probably number 20 ish so we were rockin it old school

Like a proper pair of French Canadian drunks
    Last edited by Gizmotech; June 26th, 2014 at 20:23. Reason: cuz i wanted to. now fuck off

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

While it's true that I might not do as well with the jet lag as I'm anticipating, I feel like if I didn't at least try to explore a bit on the first day I'd regret it later. My placement is 4 - 5 hours by train from Tokyo (not to mention the cost of the train) so I'd rather try to take advantage of being in Tokyo then versus planning a proper trip. I'll happily explore alone, but I figured why not put it out there for other ITILers too?
    I came here to laugh at you.

I'm in Group B orientation, I think my flight gets into Narita just after 4. I don't have any real plans yet, but there are some craft beer bars that have opened since I've been last that I'd like to check out. I'd also like to make it to my favorite spicy ramen place while there. Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?

Quote Originally Posted by soh View Post
    Last year, we spent about an hour at the airport going through customs, getting luggage and shipping them, finally getting on the coaches. The ride took two hours because of traffic.

You'll be very tired when you arrive at the hotel. Eat something, take a shower and take it easy.
    If you aren't too sleepy, go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, a five minute walk from the hotel. The observation deck on the 45th floor is free.
    That's a good suggestion, thanks! There's something about panoramic views of cities at night that I find really beautiful.
    Yeah the day of travel is rough, I'm planning on taking it easy the first night, maybe getting some ramen and a couple beers and then crashing for the night. Have you been to Skytree? It wasn't open the last time I was in Tokyo, but I've done Tokyo Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    While it's true that I might not do as well with the jet lag as I'm anticipating, I feel like if I didn't at least try to explore a bit on the first day I'd regret it later. My placement is 4 - 5 hours by train from Tokyo (not to mention the cost of the train) so I'd rather try to take advantage of being in Tokyo then versus planning a proper trip. I'll happily explore alone, but I figured why not put it out there for other ITILers too?
    The jet lag is rough, but I didn't find it debilitating. I'd definitely go out, I've found that keeping yourself awake and going to sleep at a fairly normal hour helps get you on track. The first night I'm thinking of grabbing some ramen and a few beers and calling it a night, maybe Skytree since I've never been. Have you been to Japan before?

I love a good spicy miso ramen. That's not just a Hokkaido thing, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you could go for a spicy noodle if that's your thing but I prefer the stinky tofu.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    I love a good spicy miso ramen. That's not just a Hokkaido thing, right?

There's an awesome place in Tokyo that has spicy ramen that is miso-based. Just found out there are multiple locations, but I've only been to the Nishi-Ikebukuro location. Here's the menu: 蒙古タンメン中本 公式ホームページ | 西池袋店メニューのご案内

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Seriously, when you get there you're just gonna want to crash. I had similar dreams of doing a whole bunch of shit when I got there, but in the end I maybe wandered the block or two in front of the keio, bought a beer, and went to sleep.

The next night a bunch of us went out and had some drinks (as the canadian reception was a small thing), while others actually did some real sight seeing that night. The final night was when JET lag started to hit like a ton of bricks, so I just crashed.

Honestly, Tokyo on your first few nights in Japan isn't all that much fun/interesting.... The whole WOAH factor can be found taking a walk down the street without going off exploring the city. You'll also appreciate Tokyo if you come back to visit it rather than try and see it at night while you're exhausted.

Final thing to remember, you might land at 2, but you won't actually get to the KEIO until 5 (narita really is in the middle of nowhere), and own't be able to leave it until probably 6-7. There's a lot of time in between plane arrival and freedom that you would think you have, but you really don't.
    I think this is very much an individual thing. I took an overnight greyhound to New York where sleeping was not possible no matter the amount of Tylenol PM I took. Then I had to anguish all day with nothing to do until taking a connecting flight to finally get on a 14 hour flight to Shanghai. Got delayed leaving for Shanghai and didn't get to my hostel in Shanghai until 10:00pm local time. Want to know what I did? Dropped my stuff and went off to wander the area for hours until like 2 or 3 in the morning. Late night conbini snacks were had and then I finally went to bed. Woke up at 10am and was out on the town for a full dose. Also, it was the peak of July with the same heat and humidity as Tokyo. You better believe I'll be out for at least a few hours in Tokyo before heading back to Keio to crash.

TLDR: ESID
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; June 27th, 2014 at 08:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Bi-Kun View Post
    where sleeping was not possible no matter the amount of Tylenol PM I took.
    Somebody has built up a tolerance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

As long as you aren't planning to go see the Sky Tree or something, you'll be fine. After you arrive, there isn't too much time before business start closing (roll up the sidewalks at 9 PM sharp) - but there is plenty to do near Keio. Shopping is one option if you need something before you are shipped off into the depths of the inaka - or go to the top of the gov't building (its free.)

If you get up with the sun (comes up a 4:30 AM) there is plenty of time to wander around before you have 'obligations.'

Or go to a bar like any normal 20something should be doing. You people sound like a bunch of old women
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Somebody has built up a tolerance.
    I never take it except in cases like that. Was being a bit dramatic lolol.... I try to avoid taking any kind of medication if I really don't need it. Took the full dose but sleeping in a seat on a rattling bus with people sniffling and all just wasn't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    ohhh.... isn't that cute. Only 4-5 hours to Tokyo. I'm 3 hours to the next biggest city and atleast a 5 hour train ride to Tokyo.

On a pharmaceutical note, Tylenol PM and Zquil are kind of a scam. If you're purely looking to sleep, I'd go with Benadryl (same ingredient as Tylenol PM) or Unisom (same, plus another antihistamine). Personally, melatonin works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    go to the top of the gov't building (its free.)
    I was there last winter and I recall that one of the two elevators was being renovated. The lines went from a typical 30 minute wait to an hour and a half wait to get up. I am not sure if it is still being worked on though. Something to consider at least.
    Last edited by jacklostinred; June 27th, 2014 at 11:45.

So we have someone who thinks a Tokyo trip during their JET tenure would be too ambitious and others who can't sleep at night without dosing themselves up. Jesus Christ.
    Last edited by mrcharisma; June 27th, 2014 at 09:22.