Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Group B Orientation

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Group B Orientation

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    How bout I not and buy those cookies and say I did?
    That's what I did. When people asked me to describe it, I said it was high with a rather unimpressed face. Works perfectly
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by kelleycristin View Post
    I'm in Group B orientation, I think my flight gets into Narita just after 4. I don't have any real plans yet, but there are some craft beer bars that have opened since I've been last that I'd like to check out. I'd also like to make it to my favorite spicy ramen place while there. Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?

yes.
    miamiami alternate.mi altmiami alternate.emiami alternate.rnamiami alternate.te.miami alternate.
    upgraded 5/19
    Tokyo placement - SHS

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    That's what I did. When people asked me to describe it, I said it was high with a rather unimpressed face. Works perfectly
    Aww, you did it wrong! Weren't you surprised that it was tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Aww, you did it wrong! Weren't you surprised that it was tall?
    I've been to the CN tower many times while it was the worlds tallest free standing object. A few extra meters does not impress me, and I do not want to make the penis joke that goes with it.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I've been to the CN tower many times while it was the worlds tallest free standing object. A few extra meters does not impress me, and I do not want to make the penis joke that goes with it.
    The elevators are the best part of the Sky Tree.

What about group C? Does anyone have information about the shortened version of orientation? I just found out I am on my way to Fukushima!!

As far as I know it is just a 3rd orientation with a lot fewer people. You might actually be part of group A/B so you should talk to your coordinator about it.

That's a good suggestion, thanks! There's something about panoramic views of cities at night that I find really beautiful.
    Yeah the day of travel is rough, I'm planning on taking it easy the first night, maybe getting some ramen and a couple beers and then crashing for the night. Have you been to Skytree? It wasn't open the last time I was in Tokyo, but I've done Tokyo Tower.
    Coming from Canada with Group B, and I would join in for a plan like this haha.
    Short Listed: Halifax, Canada
    Placement: Yurihonjō, Akita-ken

Quote Originally Posted by jacklostinred View Post
    As far as I know it is just a 3rd orientation with a lot fewer people. You might actually be part of group A/B so you should talk to your coordinator about it.
    If it's anything like last years, it will be a lot of non-English ALTs - a lot of Chinese and French with a smattering of confused English speakers for good measure. The biggest problem is that you're likely to miss out on your Prefecture's orientation, where a lot of practical info will be distributed. TO is only going to be education focused this year - the presenters are all from Japanese universities and from consulting companies.

Anyone else like really spicy food?? Or craft beer?
    Bring a lot of cash if you're looking to drink craft beer in Japan.

I wouldn't waste the cash on craft beer on your first weekend. wait a while until japanese beer tastes like bile before you start dropping 1200yen a pint on something decent.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I suppose Yurakucho isn't that far away, relatively. Can get craft beer for "only" 800 a pint there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I wouldn't waste the cash on craft beer on your first weekend. wait a while until japanese beer tastes like bile before you start dropping 1200yen a pint on something decent.
    So beer number two then....

I made it until the first weekend in my new town before I found a craft/local brewery. The only problem is that I have to go to the brewery or the super touristy stores a town over to buy the beer made maybe 2 km from my apartment...

I guess that's one reason to get good beer at orientation. If you're being sent to the middle of nowhere it could be months before you taste good beer again.

So beer number two then....
    More like sip number 2, if you're properly hydrated. I'm convinced the only folks that drink the normal piss are super dehydrated and near death - its the only way to explain how much they can enjoy actually drinking it.

its beer, its like getting preachy over mineral water. its all basically the same stuff.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    its beer, its like getting preachy over mineral water. its all basically the same stuff.
    This is how you know someone's lived in Japan too long.

(or is a chav)

A texmex bbq shop opened up in Tokyo a few weeks ago and is owned and run by some foreigners. I am planning to check it out while I drop the wife off to Tokyo Orientation. What I wouldn't give for some good old smoked brisket.

Also they sell craft beer.

bulldog?