Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contract discussion

Banned

Default Contract discussion

I just received my contract in the mail a few days ago, and my predecessor naturally still hasn't contacted me. Most of it seems pretty typical. According to the rent section, I'll be responsible for paying half the amount of the rent, up to a maximum of 2 man. I know that low of an amount isn't completely abnormal, but I didn't really expect it to be outlined in my contract like that. Does it seem like there's any possibility of that being wrong? Was rent covered in anybody else's contract?
    Last edited by greyjoy; June 26th, 2014 at 14:11.

Default Re: Contract discussion

Rent is covered in mine, as a 50% subsidy.
    ...because Japan.

Wasn't in mine, but it's not unusual for it to be included, especially if you're in BoE-owned or -managed housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

My rent is set out in my contract.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I just received my contract in the mail a few days ago, and my predecessor naturally still hasn't contacted me. Most of it seems pretty typical. According to the rent section, I'll be responsible for paying half the amount of the rent, up to a maximum of 2 man. I know that low of an amount isn't completely abnormal, but I didn't really expect it to be outlined in my contract like that. Does it seem like there's any possibility of that being wrong? Was rent covered in anybody else's contract?
    I pay 5man out of my own pocket, eat a duck.

Its not set out in mine at all. But I get free housing from the town - and aside from some superficial earthquake damage (a few tiny cracks and doorways that aren't completely flush/square, there isn't anything to complain about.

Until the next quake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Meh, it survived 8.9, and a couple dozen 7s, a hundreds of 6s and thousands of 5s. I'm not worried. The walls are still vertical, the floor and ceiling are both level. And the landlord/town is planning to move me to a new apartment next school year anyways, as the current one dates from the late 90s and needs some electrical work.

Actually, the biggest complaint I have is that my silverware drawer doesn't close all the way.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I would imagine a rent agreement like that is designed for prefectures/areas where rent is difficult to anticipate and they want to make sure that the playing field is fair among all their ALTs. Kinda like how all the prefectual ALTs in my area are in prefectual housing which is dirt cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post

You are lucky, my BOE doesn’t pay my rent at all. I pay 60,000 yen for rent each month, so consider yourself an extremely lucky bird. The only way to make sure your contract is correct is to ask your BOE directly.

Also, it’s only June, so if your predecessor will contact you, it probably won’t be until July. AND, also realize that predecessors are not required to contact the person who is taking over for them too. In my city, no one has predecessors because information is very tight-nit, and no one ever knows who is replacing who until it’s the end of July or August when the new person is in the city already and their predecessor is gone.

Sometimes, people expect to have a predecessor, but it’s also not always the case. When I came, I didn’t have one and had to figure out everything myself. So if your predecessor never contacts you, don’t be surprised.

There are a couple misunderstandings given out from consulates and the JET Program in general.
    1. Not everyone has a predecessor
    2. Omiage is pretty much unnecessary. I know that I was freaking out what to get when I first came, but in the end, didn’t even need to give out anything. Especially since I had 9 schools too...

Good luck!
    Last edited by richief_611; June 26th, 2014 at 16:12.

My predecessor wasn't allowed to contact me until I sent an e-mail to the BoE saying that I have received my contract and welcome package.
    Information about the rent was not in the contract, but it was written on another piece of paper.

Mine lists the amount - they're sticking me in an overpriced, unsubsidised dorm room. Count your lucky stars.
    I just contacted my supervisor (the email address was also listed in the contract) and asked if I can find my own place.
    Got an "it may be difficult", but I'm taking that as a yes.
    fucking genki

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
    Mine lists the amount - they're sticking me in an overpriced, unsubsidised dorm room. Count your lucky stars.
    I just contacted my supervisor (the email address was also listed in the contract) and asked if I can find my own place.
    Why would you not be able to? Didn't you come to Japan before?

That's japanese for "No"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by soh View Post
    My predecessor wasn't allowed to contact me until I sent an e-mail to the BoE saying that I have received my contract and welcome package.
    Information about the rent was not in the contract, but it was written on another piece of paper.
    I hadn't thought of that. I received the package a few days ago, but hadn't gotten around to sending a confirmation email because I forgot it at my friend's house where my mail is being delivered. I'm gonna send that off now.

For the record, if you don't like where you are living you may or may not be able to move. Your subsidies might also not transfer in that case either. They also have no responsibility to help you find a new place if you don't like the current one.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    That's japanese for "No"
    It's Japanese for "we're not going to help you". If you want to do it yourself like an adult you're more than welcome.

Why would you not be able to? Didn't you come to Japan before?
    Yeh, I was just worried they'd pull a "we won't sign surety on another apartment because we can't be responsible for gaijin-san if she's not in her assigned hole."

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    That's japanese for "No"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    |
    v

It's Japanese for "we're not going to help you". If you want to do it yourself like an adult you're more than welcome.
    This.
    And that's exactly what I'm doing.
    fucking genki

Yeh, I was just worried they'd pull a "we won't sign surety on another apartment because we can't be responsible for gaijin-san if she's not in her assigned hole."

|
    v

This.
    And that's exactly what I'm doing.
    Just remember you might not be allowed to change apartments until your second year. They could be locked into a lease which prevents you from moving.

Banned

I emailed my BOE contact, and within the hour got a Facebook message from my successor, who coincidentally had friended me a few weeks ago. I had a few others from the prefecture though, so that didn't really help narrow it down.