Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contract discussion

Default Re: Contract discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Just remember you might not be allowed to change apartments until your second year. They could be locked into a lease which prevents you from moving.
    No worries. I've already checked out the place that they want to put me into - it's kinda like a hotel, except I get to share a fridge with 3 other people.
    It seems like you pay month-to-month for it.

Anyway, if the BOE wants to sign a lease on my behalf they can pay the cancellation fees or whatever because I haven't signed anything. Definitely won't be locked into a yearlong contract with a place that won't even let my fiance visit.
    fucking genki

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
    Yeh, I was just worried they'd pull a "we won't sign surety on another apartment because we can't be responsible for gaijin-san if she's not in her assigned hole."
    Oh yeah forgot about that bullshit.

I dunno the ALT nearly always has more asshole power unless you do something so terrible they're forced to send you home. Otherwise you can basically do what you like.

Anyway, if the BOE wants to sign a lease on my behalf they can pay the cancellation fees or whatever because I haven't signed anything.

I wish you the best of luck, and certainly understand wanting to live somewhere that lets you have visitors, but still...
    ...because Japan.

Mine lists the amount - they're sticking me in an overpriced, unsubsidised dorm room. Count your lucky stars.
    I just contacted my supervisor (the email address was also listed in the contract) and asked if I can find my own place.
    Got an "it may be difficult", but I'm taking that as a yes.
    Wait. What? You're coming back? What? I don't understand. You were free. Why? No. No. I can't. What? Why? God. I can't even. You. What? You had it there. Why would you? What have you? How? Why? Oh lord lord lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post

I wish you the best of luck, and certainly understand wanting to live somewhere that lets you have visitors, but still...
    It helps being able to speak/read Japanese and able to do everything for the apartment yourself.
    If they know they don't have to lift a finger they're suddenly much more willing to let you do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Wait. What? You're coming back? What? I don't understand. You were free. Why? No. No. I can't. What? Why? God. I can't even. You. What? You had it there. Why would you? What have you? How? Why? Oh lord lord lord.
    Yes but not really. I've worked for a Japanese company for the last 3 years anyway, so I may as well go back, get paid triple for less work, and go home without fear of being murdered every night.
    fucking genki

This seems like the best place to put this?

I have been offered a choice of accommodation - either a 1K room for 32,000 or a 1LDK for 45,000.

I think the 1LDK is the better choice, seeing as I am living there for at least a year. I might as well take the extra room, and 45,000 rent seems quite reasonable, seeing as the handbook says to expect it to be between 20,000-70,000.

In English groats, this works out at a difference of £85.

Is there anyone out there who *would* advise taking the smaller room?

If both are located in fairly convenient places, I'd go for the bigger one.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    If both are located in fairly convenient places, I'd go for the bigger one.
    There's no mention of a location with either, though I do know the cheaper one is on the 2nd floor and the bigger flat is on the 1st floor. That's the only additional information I have received.

If it is a wooden structure the second floor is probably better.

Are you in a city, town, village, or bumfuk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I agree with coop. I would prioritize location, but all things being equal, I would go for the larger place. It will be worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Go for the most convenient. If they are in the same place, go for the bigger one.

1st floor apartments can be troublesome if there are tons of kids around (kicking balls of the side of your apartment/trying to look in any open windows to see what the gaijin-san is doing. And be prepared to take comments about how you do/do not hang out your laundry/put out your garbage.

First floor means easier to steal your undies.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    First floor means easier to steal your undies.
    That's why all of the female ALTs in my city are put in second floor apartments or higher. Apparently our former PA had her undies stolen and they decided to make that the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    That's why all of the female ALTs in my city are put in second floor apartments or higher. Apparently our former PA had her undies stolen and they decided to make that the policy.
    I mentioned this somewhere else but my apartment last year had the same policy for the same reason. It didn't stop the guys from losing their boxers though.

I got my welcome pack today, they told me what my address will be and that it'll be rent-free.
    Short-listed! - UK 2014
    See you in London and Tokyo!

I've received an email with the terms of appointment and a bunch of standard language about expenses, paid leave, etc. Is this my contract? There are no specifics at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it an attachment or just written in the body of the email? I got a copy of my contract in the mail, but I don't sign until I arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by MilkBottle View Post
    rent-free.
    いいなあああ

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassyk View Post
    I've received an email with the terms of appointment and a bunch of standard language about expenses, paid leave, etc. Is this my contract? There are no specifics at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I gather that the contracts are usually mailed out to people. Mine was. It could be certain CO's don't bother though because you don't sign the contact until you arrive.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

My contract was e-mailed and mailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.