Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Items from Pred

Default Items from Pred

Hello all! I've been contacted by my pred and currently mulling over their offer to buy some of their more valuable items. These were purchased when they arrived two years ago in new or near-new condition. From the pictures I have seen, they are still in very good shape and something I am interested in purchasing. Please see the list below and let me know your thoughts. Asking price is about 3.5man.

Washer/dryer unit
    Two burner stovetop
    Microwave (simple)
    Mini-fridge
    Double bed with frame

Thanks!

Default Re: Items from Pred

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Wait, your pred bought their stovetop and microwave?
    It was a new apartment and yes, that was what I was told. I already planned to ask directly on that to confirm.

The washer/dryer and bed would seem to come under the "are they really going to get rid of them just because I didn't want to pay?" category. Things that big are a pain to get rid of, and with only about a month left, your pred may just say "screw it" and leave them there either way. You can't rely on that, though, so consider if they're worth it.

Personally, having a bed there when I arrived would be worth at least 1man. Screw futons.
    ...because Japan.

Yeah, if you don't mind stepping on their toes you can always call to confirm this with your supe (who may or may not know if they're a recent transfer). If your pred is a dick and finds out they might bad mouth you to people but, really, who cares. It's not that likely that you'll see them again unless they're staying in Japan.

But that's a really good price if they're telling the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

If you hang fire then you should be able to get this chancer down to about 1man for all that, possibly even free.

Purchased new from the many second-hand shops in Japan?

I say everything for 3man and if they says no, 2.5man for just the washer/dryer, stovetop, and bed.

Just keep in mind you DON'T have to buy any of their stuff. Get lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, and use your best judgement. Also remember that it will cost them time and/or money to sell or dispose of anything you don't buy.

Those things all seem like they should be provided by the BoE though. I would ask your supervisor for a list of items the BoE paid for, because there might be a chance they're trying to sell you stuff they didn't have to buy or already got reimbursed for.

I got none of those things from my BoE. The only thing I got from my BoE was a drinking problem.

Only thing my BoE owns is a tiny, dorm-style fridge.

If my future successor ever plays chicken with me they're liable to be sad.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Washer/dryer unit - depending on age, spec and condition 6000 - 50000
    Two burner stovetop - 1000 - 8000
    Microwave (simple) - 0 - 6000
    Mini-fridge - 2000 - 8000
    Double bed with frame - frame 5000, mattress 0 - 30000

if its junk then probably worth 1.5man, if its 1 year old high quality stuff then could be 10man. depends if its a zaboon washing machine or a haier piece of crap, a 30cm thick mattress with coil/memory form hybrid or a grotty old 5cm thick thing with broken springs and cum stains. etc. If you like the looks of the pics then 3.5man doesn't seem outrageous.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I think that's a decent price for good stuff. Personally I would upgrade the microwave to one with an oven eventually, but you'll want a standard microwave starting out. If I found out my successor was offering me nothing in hopes of getting something for free, I'd sell it elsewhere. Ripping someone off goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Namisuke View Post
    I think that's a decent price for good stuff. Personally I would upgrade the microwave to one with an oven eventually, but you'll want a standard microwave starting out. If I found out my successor was offering me nothing in hopes of getting something for free, I'd sell it elsewhere. Ripping someone off goes both ways.
    If I was the successor I'd be a lot less inclined to exploit someone who showed a modicum of self-respect. The more predecessors get told where to shove it, the sooner the pathetic practice of begging JET replacements for going-home cash will be wiped out.

Right. Either you get stuff for free or you get an apartment sans dirty cheap crap that's a pain in the ass to get rid of and can buy only what you actually want.

My pred gawked at the idea of me buying anything. He's a rational human and is leaving everything he can't take, including a bed and a few futons. I think that I'll replace the futons though, no disrespect.

Default Items from Pred

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    My pred gawked at the idea of me buying anything. He's a rational human and is leaving everything he can't take, including a bed and a few futons. I think that I'll replace the futons though, no disrespect.
    Gawked?

Balked?
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; July 1st, 2014 at 08:52.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

A Hot Waffle Injection Wafflehouse's Avatar

My pred left me everything except personal items (even then he forgot some of his more expensive items, to which he just left behind) so I got a good deal.

Shame the place is as the Japanese would say "Boro boro"

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Washer/dryer unit - depending on age, spec and condition 6000 - 50000
    Two burner stovetop - 1000 - 8000
    Microwave (simple) - 0 - 6000
    Mini-fridge - 2000 - 8000
    Double bed with frame - frame 5000, mattress 0 - 30000

if its junk then probably worth 1.5man, if its 1 year old high quality stuff then could be 10man. depends if its a zaboon washing machine or a haier piece of crap, a 30cm thick mattress with coil/memory form hybrid or a grotty old 5cm thick thing with broken springs and cum stains. etc. If you like the looks of the pics then 3.5man doesn't seem outrageous.
    Don't forget too that the trouble of selling/junking old stuff is equal to the trouble of buying/installing new things. I'd honestly pay the pred what they're asking. Sounds like a good deal, or it would be for my apt where I'd be lugging that crap up 3 flights of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    Don't forget too that the trouble of selling/junking old stuff is equal to the trouble of buying/installing new things.
    ???

You order new stuff on the internet and they bring it to you. Or you buy it at a store and ask them to deliver it.

Which is opposed to having to load everything up in your car or rent a truck and take it all to the waste disposal site and fill out all the forms and drive around all the different places for putting different kinds of rubbish.

if you buy a new bed/washing machine/fridge etc then nitori/yodobashi/bic will normally take the old one away for free or for a very nominal fee.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.