Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Items from Pred

Default Re: Items from Pred

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    ???

You order new stuff on the internet and they bring it to you. Or you buy it at a store and ask them to deliver it.

Which is opposed to having to load everything up in your car or rent a truck and take it all to the waste disposal site and fill out all the forms and drive around all the different places for putting different kinds of rubbish.
    True. I guess I just hate shopping/setting things up. For example I got a bed, and despite being delivered it was in pieces and I had to put the whole damn thing together myself. I was thinking of getting a new fridge, but the space where the current one is is oddly thin, and I couldn't find anything of a reasonable size at the store that would fit there.... still have my old broken fridge. Asked my BOE to switch it out for the next guy. Idk, it's a hassle to me. Whereas my town has 2 dumps- burnable and non-burnable. So whenever I have a BOE meeting in town I just leave early and swing by one or the other first.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Gawked?

Balked?
    He literally gawked. Not saying he didn't balk as well, just that he did indeed gawk.

Thanks for all responses guys! I do really think he is giving me a very good deal, but I couldn't not consult others. I don't mind helping him recoup some of the money he had to spend setting up, not to mention the large deposit the apartment also requires. It will save us both trouble and money.

I forgot to mention that there's a spare futon he's living as well. Not sure if he bought that or not, but still seems like a good deal to me.

I don't think it's completely unfair to ask for a little bit. Especially when my pred had to buy all of those things fresh off the boat. His asking price is very reasonable. I told him from the start that I didn't want to heckle over price and trusted his judgement and only asked he gave me a fair price. Which I certainly felt he had. But again, just had to check for full closure.

I do plan to upgrade the microwave eventually. But I'm not going to want to invest in that right away, so this will be very convenient for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bi-Kun View Post
    heckle
    heckle haggle
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Thanks for all responses guys! I do really think he is giving me a very good deal, but I couldn't not consult others. I don't mind helping him recoup some of the money he had to spend setting up, not to mention the large deposit the apartment also requires. It will save us both trouble and money.

I forgot to mention that there's a spare futon he's living as well. Not sure if he bought that or not, but still seems like a good deal to me.

I don't think it's completely unfair to ask for a little bit. Especially when my pred had to buy all of those things fresh off the boat. His asking price is very reasonable. I told him from the start that I didn't want to heckle over price and trusted his judgement and only asked he gave me a fair price. Which I certainly felt he had. But again, just had to check for full closure.

I do plan to upgrade the microwave eventually. But I'm not going to want to invest in that right away, so this will be very convenient for now.
    Are you a man or a mouse? The guy is trying to squeeze cash out of you and your response is to "trust his judgement" and not "heckle"(sic)?

Man up, tell this grasper you're not interested and you'll likely get it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Are you a man or a mouse? The guy is trying to squeeze cash out of you and your response is to "trust his judgement" and not "heckle"(sic)?

Man up, tell this grasper you're not interested and you'll likely get it for free.
    That's a rather shitty move. I wouldn't want someone to take advantage of me like that and nor do I think it's wise to take such a chance. If I were him and my successor pulled that, I would cash out those items and get what I could. In which case, I as the successor would be stuck spending a lot more on those items with the extreme added inconvenience of having to get them when I arrived.

Being a man doesn't mean taking advantage of others. That's selfish, disrespectful and immature.

Being a man doesn't mean taking advantage of others. That's selfish, disrespectful and immature.
    It does mean not letting others take advantage of you, which is exactly what will happen if you give him the money. With the possible exception of the washing machine everything you are being given is worthless second-hand. At this stage the only way he is likely to "cash out" is by taking all the stuff to a recycle store where he'll be lucky to get 5000 yen back for it, so you have all the power in this transaction but are just going along with his demands to be nice.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash and it's easier just to agree, but by doing so you are ensuring JETs continue with the callous tradition of ripping off their successors.

I think charisma's point is that this works both ways. In my experience, preds trying to squeeze a few man worth of "going home money" out of naive, excited new successors is far more common than the reverse situation.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    It does mean not letting others take advantage of you, which is exactly what will happen if you give him the money. With the possible exception of the washing machine everything you are being given is worthless second-hand. At this stage the only way he is likely to "cash out" is by taking all the stuff to a recycle store where he'll be lucky to get 5000 yen back for it, so you have all the power in this transaction but are just going along with his demands to be nice.

I know it's not a huge amount of cash and it's easier just to agree, but by doing so you are ensuring JETs continue with the callous tradition of ripping off their successors.
    It really doesn't seem like I'm being taken advantage of though and quite a few here have said this seems like a very good deal. Aren't a washer/dryer, stove, fridge and microwave necessities? The bed is also exactly what I had in mind as well. Wouldn't getting those items myself be pretty much the same price or more expensive? Not to mention the added trouble and stress of needing them upon arrival. I'm not sure that aspect has been evaluated. If his offer is cheaper than what I would pay otherwise, I don't consider it being taken advantage of.

I'm sure there are preds who have been money hungry tards, but I'm not sure this is the case. I appreciate the word of caution, but I hope you can give a clear minded analysis now that you've made your concerns known. I do appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I think charisma's point is that this works both ways. In my experience, preds trying to squeeze a few man worth of "going home money" out of naive, excited new successors is far more common than the reverse situation.
    I can see that. But do you think this deal is not in my best interest? I think it will save me money instead of buying them all myself. Isn't that enough to justify inheriting his items? Why not help another JET recoop some of their losses than line the pockets of others?
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; July 1st, 2014 at 11:50.

heckle haggle

Shh, just let him be. It's adorable.

OP, I respect your view on things. All things aside, you should do whatever you feel is right. It's your money, your future place, etc.

I think what everyone wants you to do is just be wary of the fact that he could just be milking you for extra cash. Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place. But if you feel like it's worth it, my suggestion is to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoobyBoob View Post
    OP, I respect your view on things. All things aside, you should do whatever you feel is right. It's your money, your future place, etc.

I think what everyone wants you to do is just be wary of the fact that he could just be milking you for extra cash. Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place. But if you feel like it's worth it, my suggestion is to go for it.
    Thanks for your input. I do plan to ask my supervisor about it, but we've only exchanged 1 e-mail so far and haven't gone into too much discussion just yet. Don't want to overwhelm them.

It really doesn't seem like I'm being taken advantage of though and quite a few here have said this seems like a very good deal. Aren't a washer/dryer, stove, fridge and microwave necessities?
    Yes, which is why the BoE usually provides all of those things. Not all BoEs... but the vast majority do. It's unfortunately common, however, for unscrupulous JETs to tell their successors that they bought all of these items (extremely unlikely, unless s/he was the first ALT evar hired by this particular BoE) and attempt to charge their successor for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoobyBoob View Post
    Confirm with your supervisor/BOE what is included with the place.
    This. Do it before you send your pred any money.

The bed is also exactly what I had in mind as well. Wouldn't getting those items myself be pretty much the same price or more expensive not to mention the added trouble and stress of needed them upon arrival?
    Maybe. Unless all of those things are being provided by your BoE, anyway, in which case your successor is just a money-grubbing jerk.

But do you think this deal is not in my best interest?
    Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what your supervisor/BoE has to say about what's provided.

I think it will save me money instead of buying them all myself. Isn't that enough to justify inheriting his items? Why not help another JET recoop some of their losses than line the pockets of others?
    Because you might just be lining said JET's pockets, rather than "helping [him] to recoop [sic] some of [his] losses."
    Last edited by word; July 1st, 2014 at 11:52.

Yes, which is why the BoE usually provides all of those things. Not all BoEs... but the vast majority do. It's unfortunately common, however, for unscrupulous JETs to tell their successors that they bought all of these items (extremely unlikely, unless s/he was the first ALT evar hired by this particular BoE) and attempt to charge their successor for them.

This. Do it before you send your pred any money.

Maybe. Unless all of those things are being provided by your BoE, anyway, in which case your successor is just a money-grubbing jerk.

Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on what your supervisor/BoE has to say about what's provided.

Because you might just be lining said JET's pockets, rather than "helping [him] to recoop [sic] some of [his] losses."
    I've only stated I am interested but have yet to commit. I will be sure to ask my supervisor first! Thanks to others as well who joined in to encourage me to do so. Can't hurt.

It's not your responsibility, either, to help your pred "recoup" their losses. A lot of people think they're entitled to get their full investment back from the money spent on furnishing their apartment because they're dumb kids who're living by themselves for the first time and don't understand the concept of depreciation. Buy the items if you think that they're worth it, but keep in mind that they're probably not worth as much as he's asking.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    It's not your responsibility, either, to help your pred "recoup" their losses. A lot of people think they're entitled to get their full investment back from the money spent on furnishing their apartment because they're dumb kids who're living by themselves for the first time and don't understand the concept of depreciation. Buy the items if you think that they're worth it, but keep in mind that they're probably not worth as much as he's asking.
    True. What would you assess their value as? Maybe what he probably bought them for and what he'd be able to salvage from them?

futons are worthless, you shouldnt be paying for them.

the other stuff the relevant number is what it would cost you to buy a replacement at a second hand shop, not what the shop will give the person selling. If you are going in with the attitude you are going to stay there 2/3/4/5+ years then you might prefer to not buy that stuff and explain you would rather buy new when you arrive. If you are just going to go to a recycle shop to buy used stuff anyway you might as well buy the stuff your pred is selling. It will take you some time to get yourself established, get your finances in order, locate a good place to buy stuff from etc. I would recommend buying the stuff so you have something in your apartment when you arrive and then you can slowly replace it in the first few months. Delivery times on beds and large white goods can be anything from 1 to 4 weeks. For the sake of 3.5man I'd go for a bed to sleep on and a washing machine to deal with my sweaty undercrackers from the first night. May be worth checking that those items are your preds to sell in the first place but if you roll the dice on expecting him to just leave it if you dont pay then you could find yourself sleeping on a crappy overpriced futon you had to buy on your first night from the local inaka rip-off merchants and going to the coin laundry for the first few weeks.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    word

Keep in mind, Bi, that we're eventually going to tell your successor all of these same things. There's a reason why I think the "everything free except the big $$ items" system is the best, even though my pred didn't go that route. If it's not worth selling to another ALT or recycle shop, it should be given to your successor, imho.

futons are worthless, you shouldnt be paying for them.

the other stuff the relevant number is what it would cost you to buy a replacement at a second hand shop, not what the shop will give the person selling. If you are going in with the attitude you are going to stay there 2/3/4/5+ years then you might prefer to not buy that stuff and explain you would rather buy new when you arrive. If you are just going to go to a recycle shop to buy used stuff anyway you might as well buy the stuff your pred is selling. It will take you some time to get yourself established, get your finances in order, locate a good place to buy stuff from etc. I would recommend buying the stuff so you have something in your apartment when you arrive and then you can slowly replace it in the first few months. Delivery times on beds and large white goods can be anything from 1 to 4 weeks. For the sake of 3.5man I'd go for a bed to sleep on and a washing machine to deal with my sweaty undercrackers from the first night. May be worth checking that those items are your preds to sell in the first place but if you roll the dice on expecting him to just leave it if you dont pay then you could find yourself sleeping on a crappy overpriced futon you had to buy on your first night from the local inaka rip-off merchants and going to the coin laundry for the first few weeks.
    Thanks for the input, Ini. I won't have the finances to or want to drop money on brand new items when I arrive. So as you suggested, I'd be at recycle shops anyways. I am in a major city too though, the capital of the prefecture with department stores and recycle shops within a 15min walk in multiple directions. So if my pred's items don't cut it, it won't be a major issue. I've somehow been blessed with the privileged life.

word

Keep in mind, Bi, that we're eventually going to tell your successor all of these same things. There's a reason why I think the "everything free except the big $$ items" system is the best, even though my pred didn't go that route. If it's not worth selling to another ALT or recycle shop, it should be given to your successor, imho.
    I'll certainly only charge for large items, such as my pred is seemingly doing now. The bed is kind of just something thrown in.
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; July 1st, 2014 at 12:35.

I'm still betting that your pred didn't actually buy the stovetop, the fridge, or the washer/dryer.

i can see an ALT buying a mini fridge. a BOE would have bought a normal one.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.