Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Items from Pred

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Items from Pred

I agree with porridge. If there is a period of time where you are both in the same place, save the money until then. It probably would've saved my friend quite a bit of cash had he done that instead of being ripped off by his pred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by porridge View Post
    It's a cliche but you can never be too careful.......
    It's a cliche because it happens far too often; some leaver is scrambling for money at the end and makes up all sorts of questionable justifications for charging xis successor 3-5man for a bunch of worthless garbage. Add to that the fact that a lot of naive new JETs are under the laughable impression that their preds are going to be reasonable, professional adults, and you've got a stereotype in the making.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I'm honestly curious what sort of BoE drops a new ALT into a completely barren apartment. No cooktop? No microwave? No fridge? No nothing? It's not impossible, just rather unlikely, imo).
    Spoke with my pred this week and the BOE is moving me into another apartment closer to my school. What was originally close to 60mins of a one way commute by train will now only be 15mins by bike. The only downside is my new apartment is completely barren. The BOE isn't buying anything for the new pad which is a total downer. My pred however, seems like a real legit guy. He's selling me a bed, microwave, dvd player, vacuum, storage piece, desk, and washer for between 12,000-15,000. Which I feel is extremely generous. He's even moving the stuff into my new place for me. I definitely owe this guy a few beers for his troubles.

Although the new place will be completely barren (aside from my preds items he's selling) I am pretty happy to not have to deal with a mountain of collected sh*t from previous JETs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

might want to enquire about light fittings and aircon units now. If the apartment doesnt have them then its something you are going to want to budget for so you can get them in your first week.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

might want to enquire about light fittings and aircon units now. If the apartment doesnt have them then its something you are going to want to budget for so you can get them in your first week.

Good advice Ini. Around how much do light fittings and aircon units run?
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

well the last few apartments I moved into came with aircon but only had lights in the hallway/bathroom/kitchen. for bedrooms and living rooms I had to buy lights. Cheaper/older places might not have aircon but may come with lights.

lights can go from a few thousand up to whatever depending what style you want and if you want ceiling fans/remote control/something that isnt made of cheap chinese plastic etc.

aircons depend on the size of the room you are trying to cool but go from 3-30man.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks for the help Ini.

I thought it might be fun to share that my pred asked me to pay $1000 for her stuff.

My preds asking me for nothing, apartment fully stocked. Just thought you wanted me to brag.

Quote Originally Posted by osakavamp View Post
    I thought it might be fun to share that my pred asked me to pay $1000 for her stuff.
    Pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

They were good, to be fair. She kept the place clean and orderly, it seems. Don't want to put them up here just yet in case she lurks this forum.

The biggest ticket items were an aircon unit she claimed to have several hundred man for three years ago, a bed frame and a mattress. Everything else is furniture, lighting and shelving she got at Ikea (bed and mattress included), aside from stuff she herself got from her pred.

But she was also trying to sell me odd stuff like towels, curtains, blankets, and bedding. She isn't staying in Japan, by the way, but returning home.
    Last edited by osakavamp; July 15th, 2014 at 07:57.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Osakavamp finds one of the gems in the jet program.... And people wonder why itil is so cynical about this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

10man aint that much if its good quality......

It's pretty high. I mean, are you willing to use a strangers mattress?
    have you never stayed in a hotel?

a decent queen size mattress alone will run you 10man so getting an aircon, bed frame, lighting, shelving etc as well aint that bad. Of course if its a shitty 1man mattress then its a rip off. thats what makes these threads pointless as we cant tell you how much something is worth if you just say "bed"/"air con"/"car".

$1000 could be reasonable but it depends a lot on the quality of the things. As Ini said, without more details any advice is pretty much pointless.

Do you mean several hundred thousand for the aircon rather than several hundred man?
    For the big items you should make sure you get more details. For example what model is the aircon? If your pred. spent several hundred thousand it should probably be a top of the range model. If your pred. doesn't provide you with details then start to get suspicious. To me it seems slightly strange that a JET would buy a top of the range aircon if they were only expecting to get a few years use out of it.
    If you buy from a normal electronics store you could probably expect to pay between about 60,000-300,000. The higher end of the range is unlikely unless it's for a very large room.

Any small things worth less than about 5000 yen are pretty much worthless if resold so you shouldn't really add them into the calculation. So long as you pay a fair price for the bigger items your pred. should be willing to leave those items for free. If they're not then that's another reason to get suspicious.

Tell this reptile exactly where to stick her aircon and watch her asking price plummet.

Given the short timescale she won't be removing it and selling it on elsewhere.

I get the feeling that the OP didn't go for it, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

We can certainly hope.

dont buy your preds crap unless its actually nice and something they forked out big cash for new, like an air conditioner.

Thanks for those who gave their view on things... Especially porridge for coming off lurker for me haha.