Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speech contest speeches

Default Speech contest speeches

So, anybody have any link or know of any repository of past speech contest recitations (for the 暗唱 part of the 暗唱弁論大会)?

Aside from the textbook stories that seem to be perennial favorites, anybody have any recommendations?

Default Re: Speech contest speeches

write an original one what suits your kids personality. taylor the vocab so there are no words that they just cant say properly rather than spend 4 weeks working through the same sentence over and over again.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Agreeing that original is best. If your JTE teeth-sucks at that idea, then pick anything but Mother's Lullaby, for the love of Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    write an original one what suits your kids personality. taylor the vocab so there are no words that they just cant say properly rather than spend 4 weeks working through the same sentence over and over again.
    You mistake me for someone who has motivation. Mother's Lullaby it is... or maybe the spider's thread one...

I think the recitation speeches must come from official textbooks in order to qualify. Speeches can be anything, and more often than not they're written by the ALT/JTE(s) more than the student.

The best resource I've found for recitations so far is the Akita-ken JET website: Junior high school speech contest - Akita Wiki

But note that most of them are just as weird/depressing as Mother's Lullaby. I hate the one about the starving elephants especially.

Might depend on your prefecture but I always used to write original recitation speeches.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If we could I would gladly do that. But I'm pretty sure our rules restrict recitations to just things that have been published in MEXT-approved textbooks.

Out of curiosity, are the judges for your speech contests mostly Japanese people? Our pattern seems to be: one native speaker, two Japanese. Some years we don't even get very fluent English speakers as judges, which kind of makes the whole thing worthless since the judges don't really know when the students sound unnatural.
    Last edited by Ebi; July 7th, 2014 at 19:54.

Again depends on prefecture, I've seen 1 J 2 G and 2J 1G.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Might depend on your prefecture but I always used to write original recitation speeches.
    Aren't those just the regular speeches then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

So I gave the teachers a selection of speeches, including some more original ideas. And... they chose the old standbys from the textbooks.

At least I get to write and translate the essays for two of my students. Although my JTE was resistant to me making them do most of the translating and me mostly helping.

nah. speeches have to be writtten by the kids *snigger* and will be about them. recitation are just stories or passages. One year Harry potter was at its peak (think azkaban was out in the cinemas) and the kid was obsessed with it so i wrote up the scenes where hagrid tells harry hes a wizard from the first movie into a 4 minute recitation. went to prefectural finals with that bad boy.

Yeah, the kids write their essays and then my JTE's want me to translate them for them. My pred. did that and use WAY to much high level vocabulary. So I'm making the kids do the bulk of the work and sitting back and relaxing and only stepping in when they sigh at me.

go through the speech and remove any words with too many R's and L's in them.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Yeah, the kids write their essays and then my JTE's want me to translate them for them. My pred. did that and use WAY to much high level vocabulary. So I'm making the kids do the bulk of the work and sitting back and relaxing and only stepping in when they sigh at me.
    The kids will use high level vocab if they do it too cause they'll just grab a dictionary the second they run into a word they don't know.

Also avoiding l/r and th in English is not really possible. Obviously avoid really tricky stuff but don't expect to get it perfect.

you cant avoid them but you can reword sentences so they are spread out a bit. "The long line ran right through the theatre" is just going to cause you a long boring summer....

Luckily, I won't see them from the end of the term until the beginning of August... Burning my banked nen-kyuu.

nah. speeches have to be writtten by the kids *snigger* and will be about them. recitation are just stories or passages. One year Harry potter was at its peak (think azkaban was out in the cinemas) and the kid was obsessed with it so i wrote up the scenes where hagrid tells harry hes a wizard from the first movie into a 4 minute recitation. went to prefectural finals with that bad boy.
    I really like this idea. A dialogue where the student is forced to change their voice, facial expression, etc. to convey the different characters is way better than a monologue, if you can convince your JTEs to do it, and it's also more fun to teach.

Depends heavily on the kind of kid you have. I swear my last kid you could literally put a gun up to her family's heads and she would still read it in the same bored monotone.

That's why I usually prefer kids who are already outgoing, even if their pronunciation's a bit crap. It's a lot easier to get a kid to pronounce things better than it is to get a quiet kid to be louder.

Edit to add- my pref does 3 natives (2 SHS ALTs and the ALT coordinator) and 2-3 Japanese people (usually SHS JTEs or college professors). I've done original adaptations before, even a rewrite of one of the crappy stories from the textbook, and no one noticed. My first year, the JTE told me to do Alice in Wonderland. I was dumb and made the poor kid do an abridged version of the whole story rather than an excerpt. It was way longer than anyone else's, but the kid still managed to get in all in within the time frame.

That Akita Wiki is a good starting point if you have absolutely no clue and just want to pick something.
    Last edited by coop52; July 8th, 2014 at 18:08.

It is literally impossible to get a quiet kid to be loud. Once a Japanese kid has contracted the shizukas they are screwed for the rest of their life.