Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speech contest speeches

Default Re: Speech contest speeches

Make sure they aren't overcompensating by making all l/r's into r sounds or by overemphasizing vowels (don't really know any other way to describe that thing some Japanese people do where everything they say just sounds like a long string of vowels).

Get the kids to watch your mouth while you speak, then have them record themselves or practice in front of a mirror. It helps a lot if they can see how their mouths are actually moving.

For nervous kids, I bring in a bunch of stuffed animals to act as audience members. I place them in different areas to get the kids used to looking around the room rather than staring creepily in one fixed spot. Also, get them to look at the audience members' foreheads rather than straight into their eyes. It still gives the illusion of eye contact without the kids freaking out.

Default Re: Speech contest speeches

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Make sure they aren't overcompensating by making all l/r's into r sounds or by overemphasizing vowels (don't really know any other way to describe that thing some Japanese people do where everything they say just sounds like a long string of vowels).

Get the kids to watch your mouth while you speak, then have them record themselves or practice in front of a mirror. It helps a lot if they can see how their mouths are actually moving.

For nervous kids, I bring in a bunch of stuffed animals to act as audience members. I place them in different areas to get the kids used to looking around the room rather than staring creepily in one fixed spot. Also, get them to look at the audience members' foreheads rather than straight into their eyes. It still gives the illusion of eye contact without the kids freaking out.
    Thanks for the tips. I am taking a bigger role this year in getting the kids at one school ready for competition. I'll especially recommend that they practice in front of a mirror. I'll do the stuffed animal thing too.