Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

Default Re: Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

Oh, they won't pass you without a harsh critique of everything you did wrong. That's pretty much standard. Every pass is a reluctant pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

God, I really want to pull up next to the guy who administered my test somewhere so I can roll down the window and be like "that's not how you told me to do it!"
    Last edited by therealwindycity; June 30th, 2014 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why is everyone waiting for the zero hour?
    My year isn't up until October...

Ummm... Surely there are some school holidays/daikyuu sometime during the next three months? Do you really need to be using nenkyuu?
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by smapattack View Post
    I thought I read somewhere you can't start the process until 2 months before your international permit expires, but now I can't find it. My supervisor hasn't helped me with the process (actually, she sent me an e-mail being like "can you just go do it yourself?" then never replied to my concerns), so it's been a lot of like go to the DMV, get the paperwork, then go back to the DMV. Currently I'm waiting for the guy to call me back to schedule the knowledge and road tests. It's been about two weeks since I passed in all of my paperwork.
    Last edited by namara.rora; July 1st, 2014 at 08:13.

My BoE didn't make me take nenkyuu...it was noted as being a necessity to continue working, so it was basically a business trip. Why do all you people have shitty DMVs?
    いいみで

Quote Originally Posted by namara.rora View Post
    I thought I read somewhere you can't start the process until 2 months before your international permit expires, but now I can't find it. My supervisor hasn't helped me with the process (actually, she sent me an e-mail being like "can you just go do it yourself?" then never replied to my concerns), so it's been a lot of like go to the DMV, get the paperwork, then go back to the DMV. Currently I'm waiting for the guy to call me back to schedule the knowledge and road tests. It's been about two weeks at this point.

That's complete and utter bullshit. Get your translation done as soon as you arrive and as soon as you're comfortable go and start the test. In my prefecture, you need to go to turn in all the paperwork and wait to have them check it. Then you schedule a test date, where you take the paper, eye, and practical test. The wait is usually 1 week it winter and up to 3-4 weeks in summer (like right now.) Don't wait, but do ask your predecessor and your fellow prefecture JETs about the test. Like the US, the test subtly varies by prefecture and even test center (there might be a center you can take the test at that is easier than the main one.)

then why are you taking time off in the middle of term?? Do it in august. You stand a much better chance of your school turning a blind eye if its the summer holidays. turn up in the morning, spend an hour chatting to the VP about koshien then slip out for a few hours to do the test.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I usually recommend that people drive on their IDP for a while. Accidents/tickets/point deductions/whatever on your IDP don't seem to transfer to your J-license, when you get it (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think I am). So it can be a good idea to use this "trial period" to your advantage, especially if you're a sh*tty driver.

That said, waiting until the last minute is a bad idea, if for no other reason than being able to save nenkyuu by going on school holidays/daikyuu days.

then why are you taking time off in the middle of term?? Do it in august. You stand a much better chance of your school turning a blind eye if its the summer holidays. turn up in the morning, spend an hour chatting to the VP about koshien then slip out for a few hours to do the test.
    word
    Last edited by word; July 1st, 2014 at 09:04.

sounds like someone has the shoxxx....
    Is this a reference to something? I've... er... heard it before.

was an old BD meme 10 years ago. probably turned up in other places.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Also I passed on my first try, along with nearly everyone in my area. Come out to the inaka and take it.

One tip is to mumble everything you're doing under your breath. That way they know you've memorized what you're supposed to do at each spot. Form over function. Show that you put the work in. Your actual driving ability does not matter here. Ok that's not true, for example the 2 parts of a lane thing is something I would NEVER have known without taking the lessons and test. I just thought people were being dicks swerving around the road.

Trivial's guide is top-notch. I also passed my first time and I give him all the credit for it; I followed his instructions down to the letter and it worked well.

I also passed my first time, mostly thanks to Trivial's thread. Mentioning I went to driving school for a couple of hours and verbalizing everything I was doing helped.

I usually recommend that people drive on their IDP for a while. Accidents/tickets/point deductions/whatever on your IDP don't seem to transfer to your J-license, when you get it (I could be wrong about this, but I don't think I am). So it can be a good idea to use this "trial period" to your advantage, especially if you're a sh*tty driver.
    Be careful. If you get pulled over and get a ticket, it goes on the record of the car, not the IDP/foreign license. When the prefecture checks to see if you have any marks against your car registration, it will stop you from transferring a your license if you are the registered owner of the car. You have to take a traffic safety course and then the full Japanese written and practical test. At least, these are the rules/what the dude threatens you with when you go in to get a Japanese license and show him an IDP. He might be a hardass and/or lying, but I wouldn't take the chance.

At least if you get pulled over for a brake light out they usually don't right you anything and ask you nicely to get it fixed ASAP.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

failing twice isn't the exception, it is the norm. You will fail again, and probably a few more times until they deem you worthy of the license. I'd say the average is 4-8 times taking the test. Welcome to Japan. EVERYONE who takes the test has to do this bullshit. Here is some advice I got a long time ago from a friend. SAY everything you are doing loudly in Japanese, so they can't say you didn't do something.
    今左に曲がります。はい、三秒待っています。一、二,三。!
    shit like that. Everyone I've told this advice to passed in under 4 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I have to go into the BoE even on school holidays. On national holidays, I have the day off, but the DMV is off.
    There is a test at around noon that I could slip off to during lunch but it would definitely take half the day and the BOE people would definitely notice if I wasn`t there for half a day without saying anything.

Is it normal that other Jets can just slip off unnoticed??

in that case replace VP with kacho and my advise stands. people are more likely to turn a blind eye to writing stuff in the nenkyu book if all you are doing is sitting around drinking iced coffee. if you are missing classes then they have no option than to class it as nenkyu.

also if someone fancies getting out the office speak to them and say you need their help with the language barrier and they will probably come with you. When I was a JET my BOE supervisor would leap at any opportunity to get out the office.

I have to go into the BoE even on school holidays. On national holidays, I have the day off, but the DMV is off.
    There is a test at around noon that I could slip off to during lunch but it would definitely take half the day and the BOE people would definitely notice if I wasn`t there for half a day without saying anything.
    Just leave anyway and tell them to go fuck themselves. They won't fire you for it and there's nothing else they can do.