Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

Default Re: Driving test is complete and utter bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Just leave anyway and tell them to go fuck themselves. They won't fire you for it and there's nothing else they can do.
    He has a point. The only way it is likely to hurt you at all is if you want to stay for a 4th year.

So, if you can take the heat, fu-ck on off and watch the dance.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

This intrigues me...

Seriously, there are a bunch of ALTs who are complete assholes and basically take time off for no reason whenever they feel like it, and their schools/BoEs do absolutely nothing about it and in most cases even rehire these losers. On the flipside there are a bunch of ALTs who are too nice for their own good that get screwed over by exploitative, racist BoEs.

Obviously don't be one of the asshole ALTs... but if your school is being a dick to you then I think showing them how stupid they are for trying to push you around is warranted. If a school tries to bully an ALT they should be shown how little power they can actually exercise over you.

My BOE has (usually) been supportive of me. I would feel a bit bad about it.
    However, at the same time, taking nenkyuu off for this for a driver`s license that I need much more for work than anything else is a bullshit move on JET/BOE`s part. Also, I seem to be on the lower end of all the other JETs when it comes to number of nenkyuu days. I started out with 12.

Quote Originally Posted by smapattack View Post
    My BOE has (usually) been supportive of me. I would feel a bit bad about it.
    However, at the same time, taking nenkyuu off for this for a driver`s license that I need much more for work than anything else is a bullshit move on JET/BOE`s part. Also, I seem to be on the lower end of all the other JETs when it comes to number of nenkyuu days. I started out with 12.
    They'd make any other teacher take nenkyuu as well, and some prefectural teachers have to commute a hell of a lot further than the average ALT.
    ...because Japan.

That does seem kinda low, especially if they don't give you school holidays off (MG only gets 10, but they don't make her come in during summer or winter breaks). They probably had an ALT who abused it in the past or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    They'd make any other teacher take nenkyuu as well, and some prefectural teachers have to commute a hell of a lot further than the average ALT.
    This is also true.
    Last edited by word; July 1st, 2014 at 15:52.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Oh yeah I don't think OP is being treated badly by his BoE necessarily but he just saying he could tell them to go fuck themselves if he feels that strongly about it.

I have two yen to throw in:

Yen 1: The summer thing is absolutely correct. I show up for a morning meeting some days and then just disappear the rest of the day. As long as you have no actual responsibilities that day, it should be OK. No one knows, no one cares.

Yen 2: I found lying was a good expedient when taking the drivers test. When they asked me how many hours of driving instruction I had, I told them 5 even though it had only be one. Also, its just important to project an air of confidence. Say YOSH really fucking loud every time you turn your head. Check mirrors like 30 times each. Do everything absolutely deliberately (even mistakes). I passed on the first try.
    Last edited by Bluesuntzu; July 1st, 2014 at 15:56.

making an alt take nenkyu in the middle of term to get a driving license is perfectly normal and reasonable.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

also if someone fancies getting out the office speak to them and say you need their help with the language barrier and they will probably come with you. When I was a JET my BOE supervisor would leap at any opportunity to get out the office.
    This. Plus it adds an air of credibility that might make them more likely to pass you.

My third attempt at the test will be on Thursday, but my BoE let's me take special leave even though I'm missing classes, because I need to drive to get to school.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesuntzu View Post
    Yen 2: I found lying was a good expedient when taking the drivers test. When they asked me how many hours of driving instruction I had, I told them 5 even though it had only be one. Also, its just important to project an air of confidence. Say YOSH really fucking loud every time you turn your head. Check mirrors like 30 times each. Do everything absolutely deliberately (even mistakes). I passed on the first try.
    This will backfire if the driving school works has any communication at all with the licensing center.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeah, if you want to live your life worrying about every little possibility that could ever happen. You think they just spend all day calling driving schools to confirm minute details? In my case, they didn't. I have a feeling they never do.

Furthermore, if you get called out on it, say it was a miscommunication due to the language barrier.
    Last edited by word; July 1st, 2014 at 16:29. Reason: Wrong post quoted.

Update:

So, I went today for the third time, had a new instructor finally, and did the course probably almost exactly the same as I did last time. At the end, guy gets out and without skipping a beat asks me where I went to driving school at, and how many hours. I hadn't shown him any of my driving school papers or anything, so I optimistically took it as a good sign that I passed.
    Which I did!

So, the lesson here is sometimes, you just get a bastard instructor who won't pass you.

Just out of curiosity, how man hours did you tell him you'd done at driving school?
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

HAHAHA SUCKERS. Coming from a backwater country like the US w/o a license exchange. LOLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    HAHAHA SUCKERS. Coming from a backwater country like the US w/o a license exchange. LOLS.
    It's because driving tests and standards are regulated at the state level and not the national level. Japan isn't willing to accept all these various standards and offer all US drivers license holders an exchange, understandably so.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how man hours did you tell him you'd done at driving school?
    I just truthfully told him three hours.

Ugh; why on earth are you posting on ITIL at 5:49 in the morning?

Hey smap, which driving center was it? Are you in downtown Hiroshima, or did you go to Itsukaichi? Or somewhere else? I'm gonna have to get my license sooner or later.