Thread: Phone in Japan

Default Phone in Japan

Hey, folks.

I'm Taylor, and I'll be moving to Japan on August 2nd to be an ALT.

Here's my situation. The phone I use right now for a phone plan is one given to me by my folks. It's a "dumb phone" on Verizon that I just use for phone/text. I just received a gift of someone's old iPhone 4 to be used as a tablet. However, if I wanted to use it in Japan, what's the easiest/cheapest option? Unlock it here in the States and do a monthly plan with a carrier in Japan? Or do something with it in Japan? Get a new phone with a plan in Japan? Get an unlocked phone in Japan?
    Last edited by Antonath; July 1st, 2014 at 08:21. Reason: Identifying info!

Default Re: Phone in Japan

Direct yourself, good sir or madam, to the thread "phone situation upon arriving." That, or search the many other threads asking the same question. There have been some developments lately that may or may not change the outcome of your decision.

Yeah, just as Ananasboat said, you should read the other thread.

As far as I know, you probably won't be able to use your USA iPhone in Japan, even if it is unlocked. The best option for you is to just get a phone when you arrive in Japan. I'm not sure how good your Japanese is, but it will be a hassle trying to explain that you have an unlocked iPhone from abroad.

When you sign up for a 2 year contract, they usually give you the option to either pay for the phone in monthly installments for a duration of 24 months, or pay for the entire phone in one lump-sum. This actually sometimes depends on the store and/or employee that is helping you too. I know that when a bunch of people came as ALTs to my city last year, and even when I first came to Japan 2 years ago, they made us pay for the whole iPhone upfront, with no option to pay little by little each month. Obviously, this was probably because we are foreigners.

I was tired of the iPhone 4S last year and really wanted the iPhone 5s, so a year after my first contract, I upgraded early from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5s. I only had to pay for an upgrade fee of around $35, and elected to pay for the new iPhone 5s in monthly installments (~$35/month for 24 months).
    Last edited by richief_611; July 1st, 2014 at 16:06.

Banned

God, I really don't understand how so many people are dissatisfied with their current iteration of technology and are convinced the next one is going to make them happy. I'm dissatisfied with my piece of shit Samsung, so when I get a new phone, it's not going to be a slightly less piece of shit Samsung. It will still be some other frustrating brick of resentment and torture, but at least it will be made by someone else.

calm down grandpa, you dont want to get your blood pressure up.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    God, I really don't understand how so many people are dissatisfied with their current iteration of technology and are convinced the next one is going to make them happy. I'm dissatisfied with my piece of shit Samsung, so when I get a new phone, it's not going to be a slightly less piece of shit Samsung. It will still be some other frustrating brick of resentment and torture, but at least it will be made by someone else.
    Last edited by ScoobyDoobyBoob; July 2nd, 2014 at 00:02.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Phone, you should get one. go to an AU store, or Docomo. They can help you out
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Don't forget Softbank and Emobile
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

If you're in the area of a major metropolitan softbank is likely to be the fastest (data wise). But if you live in the sticks docomo / au is the way to go.

Surprisingly softbank has a lot more coverage in the city than Docomo. Talking to your pred/ co-workers is the best idea
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Softbank coverage is getting better recently in my experience. Docomo certainly used to be the king of the boonies but not sure if that's still true.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Talking to your pred/ co-workers is the best idea
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Phone in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Softbank coverage is getting better recently in my experience. Docomo certainly used to be the king of the boonies but not sure if that's still true.
    I definitely agree. The thing is my docomo iPhone never has 5 bars of service but I have never seen it out of service either. Where my Softbank iPhone (company phone) usually has better service.....until you leave the city and then it can get pretty spotty depending on the location. It even dropped off to 'no service' twice on the Shinkansen Tokyo Osaka.

A lot of people seem to be digging AU too these days.

Edit: I have also seen the SB phone with more signal than the Docomo phone in the boonies.
    So ya, talk to your pred.
    Last edited by ihatefall; July 2nd, 2014 at 16:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Yeah I never had any problems with Softbank's coverage, and I'm in the inaka fairly often (switched to AU because of the free phone though)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'll say this about softbank. When I switched to 4g last year it was a big improvement where I live, but many people now are on their 4g network and speeds have slowed down again. Always ask your pred what they are using and if you can join a Facebook group with other area jets ask them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Default Phone in Japan

Also, I know that this is "Japan: land of technology" and that Japan's telecommunications are amazing; but the sad fact is that it isn't true. Back in 2006 when Japan was on 3G and everyone else was like "duh, wutz a tex messagez?", it was a lot faster but now things have changed. Don't expect super fast data mobile speeds here, they are all at best 3/4 of AT&T data speeds.
    Last edited by ihatefall; July 4th, 2014 at 22:37.

I had au 4G, worked pretty good for mid to southern Ibaraki. The only times it dipped into 3G was when I was on the train.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.