Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Can you teach them a game? I'll give you 5 minutes at the end of class."

Default Re: "Can you teach them a game? I'll give you 5 minutes at the end of class."

I don't think our job is to kill time either - unfortunately that's how the OP is treated. However, the things teachers do to kill time in our countries can work nicely as a small activity in English.

I'd talk to the JTEs seriously first before moving up the ladder. It's the system teachers should follow in Canada, and it translates well here. If you have to work together, best try to start out on the friendliest terms. If you're only there once in a blue moon, why not get the most out of the ALT? You can also ask the JTEs what their aim is and ask how you can play into that for the duration of the class and not just the scrap time they make for you.

Default Re: "Can you teach them a game? I'll give you 5 minutes at the end of class."

Most elementarys dont have JTEs, only HRTs who have the attitude English isnt a subject, is too hard to teach and not worth bothering with.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Most elementarys dont have JTEs, only HRTs who have the attitude English isnt a subject, is too hard to teach and not worth bothering with.
    This shit right here.

If you want something done, or progress to be made in elementary school you have to do it, unless you have a BOE who is pushing it down the HRTs throats. Also, most HRTs will be happy to throw it all in your lap and let you take the reigns of control in ES.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

More reasons to use the ALT! ^_^

I wish I had 5 minutes a day to play with the little ones! Seeing them around is a rare sight outside school where I live (maybe everywhere). *envying your 5 mins* lol

so the BOE is paying all this money for an ALT so they can play with the ES kids for 5 minutes 4 times a semester? If the treasury department/town council found out about that they would cut the funding immediately.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

In fact seeing as you see the kids so little it would make more sense to go to the BOE and explain the situation and suggest your time would be better spent doing stand alone cultural lessons rather than trying to fit into the existing lesson schedule. If they agree they will pass the message down to the schools. That way you'll be guaranteed a full 45min to do what you want rather than trying to make up 5 minute activities to kill time at the end of class. Still communicate with the schools in advance because then you could build the lesson around something relevant that is happening at school at that time (do a lesson on interviewing foreigners if the 6th grade are going on their school trip that month, if they have been doing the momotaro story section of the textbook they could perform their plays for you and then you could do some stuff on folktales from your country etc etc)

^ Agreed. There's no real way to make yourself part of the routine of the classroom when you're not there often and don't chat with teachers much. ALTs are a good source for culture and practicing language in a free way where they can take risks and make mistakes. You can always push that aspect and then combine small things they know in engaging activities.

Two of my ES actually have dedicated JTEs. One of them is the one giving me the five minutes at the end of class. Luckily the HRTs in my town (with minor exceptions) are pretty happy to offload what they're currently teaching on me, so that works out okay.

I'm going to talk to the teacher about doing more cultural things. I asked my supervisor if she can call the school and set up a meeting for me, so we'll see if that happens. Thank you guys for the suggestions! I'm definitely going to start taking better notes and building up a bag of things to use over and over!

? I imagine it goes over a lot better than with high school students. ES students are actually enthusiastic and get excited to learn about other countries

at the moment all ES lessons should technically be cultural lessons....

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    ? I imagine it goes over a lot better than with high school students. ES students are actually enthusiastic and get excited to learn about other countries
    I guess, it just sounds like hell to me. I have no idea how to make cultural lessons fun and gave up on them a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I guess, it just sounds like hell to me. I have no idea how to make cultural lessons fun and gave up on them a long time ago.
    Really? Those are the lessons my students like best.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

What do you even do?
    I'll pm you later.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.