Thread: Every now and then I'm reminded how much work it takes to become fluent ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Every now and then I'm reminded how much work it takes to become fluent ...

and I kind of feel like crying. Maybe I should just skip working on handwriting for now and focus my anki solely on audio and written input. Even then I don't seem to hold on to a lot of words' pitch accent though ...

Default Re: Every now and then I'm reminded how much work it takes to become fluent ...

How much Japanese media do you consume? I know what's holding me back is that I retreat far too easily to my English haven when I get home. I really should get into Japanese stuff more but so much of it is dreadful I can never stick to it long enough to find something I'm really interested in.

Default Re: Every now and then I'm reminded how much work it takes to become fluent ...

Some weeks I manage to do mostly Japanese stuff, and other weeks I binge on English TV and books. It helps that I spend as much time with Japanese people as with ALTs, but even then it's not just about learning the words; I'm feeling frustrated with still not being able to write neatly (my characters are all out of balance unless I use graph paper), not remembering the pitch accent for words I supposedly know, and so much slang still being out of my grasp. There's a fair amount of Japanese TV I enjoy, but I usually prefer reading or podcasts over watching TV, and I just can't seem to find any Japanese podcasts that I like, plus there are so many great ones in English that I can't bear to give up.

A Hot Waffle Injection Wafflehouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Some weeks I manage to do mostly Japanese stuff, and other weeks I binge on English TV and books. It helps that I spend as much time with Japanese people as with ALTs, but even then it's not just about learning the words; I'm feeling frustrated with still not being able to write neatly (my characters are all out of balance unless I use graph paper), not remembering the pitch accent for words I supposedly know, and so much slang still being out of my grasp. There's a fair amount of Japanese TV I enjoy, but I usually prefer reading or podcasts over watching TV, and I just can't seem to find any Japanese podcasts that I like, plus there are so many great ones in English that I can't bear to give up.
    Practice is all it is.

Who gives a shit if you're not fluent now. You will be, it takes time and focused practice, which you're doing.

I dont think the type of media jiggit "consumes" is going to help anyone secure a job with a nikkei 225 company....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yeah, it just takes so long. That's why I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a break from worrying about writing and work on comprehension, since practically speaking there aren't that many situations when I couldn't just use a computer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Yeah, it just takes so long. That's why I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a break from worrying about writing and work on comprehension, since practically speaking there aren't that many situations when I couldn't just use a computer instead.
    That`s what I`m doing now. Having lovely handwriting would be great, but for me, in practice I am hardly ever required to write something by hand. Plus my handwritten English is pretty god awful. I`ve been concentrating on comprehension and speaking these last few months and although I am definitely not fluent. It has helped me to no end.

these days all you need handwriting for is for telephone messages/leaving memos on peoples desks. unless of course you are wanting citizenship and have to write that stupid essay about what it means to be japanese. Sometimes you get caught out when people expect you to scribble down a few thoughts on a questionnaire thats going round the office. you can look like a goon and type it out/print it, write some generic set phrases you have memorised or spend an hour sweating over it while everyone laughs at you. fucking jappers.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    these days all you need handwriting for is for telephone messages/leaving memos on peoples desks. unless of course you are wanting citizenship and have to write that stupid essay about what it means to be japanese. Sometimes you get caught out when people expect you to scribble down a few thoughts on a questionnaire thats going round the office. you can look like a goon and type it out/print it, write some generic set phrases you have memorised or spend an hour sweating over it while everyone laughs at you. fucking jappers.....
    I unashamedly whip out my phone every time a survey goes around. Handwriting is, for me, a really low priority because there aren't that many times when I can't just look a kanji up when I need it. That and I don't have the patience to sit there and practice writing.

Right now, my priority is reading and vocab. I need to review grammar a bit too, but a lot of the N1 grammar is stuff that's even hard for Japanese people since it only shows up in high level academic papers or contracts. Vocab always kicks my ass because of the sheer number needed. I read a lot books, which has helped with my reading speed and a bit with the vocab. Despite all the reading and the speaking/listening I get from work, I feel like I'm still forgetting a lot of stuff I once knew when I actually studied every day.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

studying? what a waste of time. Go get drunk at a yakitori bar. You will be a pro in 3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    studying? what a waste of time. Go get drunk at a yakitori bar. You will be a pro in 3 months.
    Word... practicing what you've "studied" in a real world situation makes it stick. It's the only way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Keep at it dude. I know exactly how you feel as far as studying goes. I've had my ups and downs and the downs just make me wanna flat out give up sometimes.

In a way, I view this as one of the times AJATT is onto something. The time boxing thing he talks about makes sense. Switching it up, might refresh your brain and make you feel like you're learning stuff as opposed to forgetting stuff which might renew your confidence/interest/etc.

That being said I do have to write a bit at work. Sometimes on アンケートor for 伝票 (sorry for the J-words I am having a trouble recalling the English for those.) However, if you're feeling discouraged, flip it and do something different (still do the SRS for what you have learned but don't add any new writing for a while. As far as balance goes, write it on the graph paper and then immediately after twice on blank or single lined paper.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I spent 4 years studying intensely at University, and still I wasn't fluent by the end T^T Plus, 6 months later I've pretty much forgotten 40% of it lol Just keep at it ^^