Thread: Looking for Project Editors: Eiken Lists

Default Looking for Project Editors: Eiken Lists

I have been working on a project off and on for a couple of years and am now at the point where I need some critique. I have been working on a specific set of can-do lists/grammar points/vocabulary for the STEP Eiken test. I have seen others searching for the same thing, but there is nothing available out there. What I have done is sorted the grammar points from the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) and grammar from multiple grammar books into Eiken levels from where I could find them in the tests and where my coworkers agreed they could be. I put everything into one easy manageable document that ALTs and JTEs might be able to use. I also included the simple can-do lists the Eiken had for reading, writing, speaking, and listening, but added some things here and there. Whoever sorted the grammar points on Englipedia from the textbooks helped me out a lot as I don't have those texts.

This document is meant for the tests, but could be used for teaching/added to can-do lists. It doesn't include communication, viewing, or culture, but the points could be adapted. I havent organized the grammar points specifically as everyone tends to debate the order things are taught and teaches to their liking. The reference list is meant for the teacher to add memos or links to files for games, activities, lesson materials, tests, homework, etc. There is also a space for teachers to add page numbers to textbooks or reference guides for each point. I have a PowerPoint of this, but wasn't able to upload it to ITIL. This document only goes up to Eiken level 2.

What I am looking for are comments on the following:

1. Do you agree with the categorization of these lists? Is there anything out of place?
    2. Is there anything you would add, remove, or change?
    3. Do you like the way this is organized? Any suggestions for organization that you would personally find useful?
    4. Have you seen another similar resource online/have one of your own?
    5. Does the language for learning under "Student(s) can..." look appropriate? Normally I would like students to be able to read, write, speak, and listen to all the grammar points, but that isn't always necessary for the tests.
    6. For grammar wizards out there, do the examples match the grammar terms? Are there any mistakes?

I'm hoping that a nice finished project can help ALTs and JTEs prep students for their tests and know where the gaps exist in their classrooms. I would like to make a list for students eventually where they can check off what they feel they know. Eventually I would like to add parts to make it more than a simple test-based list, and add tasks, projects, communication points, etc. For now though, thanks for any help you can offer! Be as harsh as you like - I want this to be a useful document.

STEP Eiken Can-do Lists - For Teachers.pdf

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for Project Editors: Eiken Lists

I'll give it a look tomorrow or the day after and give you feedback.

Given I can't read it right now, what levels are you prepping? Also have you taken into account the vocabulary requirements or is this purely for the interview portion of the test?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'll let you take a look as those questions will be answered when you can see it. If you have any advice for the vocab and speaking portion of the test that would be great. I don't have experience with the speaking parts, so I simply wrote the lists from the guide just so everything was in one place. If you have anything to add/change to anything, that would be great. The more input the better! If you have anything for levels pre-1 to 1, that would also be good. Anything to make this a workable resource.

Okay. Let me read what you've got and what I know of pre 1 I will add. Level 1 I haven't had much exposure to but from what I've hear it's mostly from teachers who have had level 1 students in the past. I have never taught that level of student and pre 1 seems mostly based on vocabulary not ability.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

That's the impression I got too. Seems like it takes a different kind of teaching and learning style - doing lots of reading and listening and seeing where the gaps in your knowledge are. Can't really make a checklist for that. I'm not sure how the test creators choose what to put in the Eiken pre-1 to 1 tests, though. Since almost nobody teaching non-university English in Japan would use that anyway, it's not a big concern. Thanks for taking a look!

I've downloaded it, I'll actually have a look at it shortly. The can do for the level 3 seem a bit high I think, but I'll give it a stronger look soon.

Thanks! Pre-2 has quite a few. I used what I could find in the tests to sort them, but sometimes they were just small or basic samples of the point.