Thread: Tokyo orientation questions

Default Tokyo orientation questions

Hi everyone. I have a few questions about Tokyo orientation, and was hoping one or some of you could help me out.

What is the schedule typically like? I'm guessing it varies year to year, but what's the norm? What is absolutely required, and what is optional? Will I have evenings free? Or late afternoons and evenings? When do events begin?

I have family in the area and I'd like to know if it will be feasible to have dinner with them or something. I'd also like to know if there's a possibility I could stay with them every night (2-3 nights total, as I understand it?), and take a train to the hotel for any morning orientation. With that in mind, what time is breakfast / the first activity of the day?

Thanks in advance!

Default Tokyo orientation questions

No one knows the new schedule. With no AJET and Clair in control, things are bound to be different.

I wouldn't bet on being able to stay overnight, but I suppose it's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Default Re: Tokyo orientation questions

Going to have dinner is probably very possible. Though I suspect things will be different now that CLAIR is gone, as uthinkimlost? said.

However, in my opinion I think it's a bit much for you to ask to go and stay with them. This is an important beginning to your JET appointment and should be treated as such. To be frank, not sleeping at Keio really doesn't matter that much and I'm sure you could get away with it. But you can always go and see your family some other time. TO only happens once. I would suggested going out with some other new JETs at least once to have that experience. Good or bad, I think it'll be insightful as to what you'll be compared to and to get a sense of what has brought others to the program.
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; July 4th, 2014 at 06:22.

you will have to stay at the hotel officially but theres nothing to stop you checking in then going to your familys house (Let your room mates know so they dont think you are dead)

Every year a handful of people go off to see friends, family etc. while everyone else goes out together and makes friends. Do you really want to be "that guy"? I'm sure you could visit your family some other time over the course of the next 12months.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

The major difference between this year and previous years is that ALTs will not presenting and AJET was told to fuck off and peddle their shit elsewhere. Other than that, usually things ran about 8/9 AM to 3/4 PM. All the presentations are being done by CLAIR/MEXT/ALT consulting companies. This means that most likely it will be of more use to you in your main job (as an ALT) compared to previous years' message of have fun and do stuff with Japanese people.

Check in at the Keio and go to all JET stuff. Embassy stuff is fine if you want to find a couple of people to brown-nose, but otherwise is just an excuse to drink their shitty alcohol for free. You'll only meet your CIRs from your prefecture when they come to pick you up on the last day of TO. (Obviously don't miss that.)

Just remember - this isn't some sort of vacation. This is a business trip - so act professional, don't be a fuckhead and do your job - which in this case is go to TO. There is less of a chance that your CO/Prefecture will find out you skipped stuff, but at the same time, that isn't a license to skip stuff. There might be information you want/need as well.

You will definitely have time to see your family during orientation, although it will probably feel kind of rushed and jet-lagged. It will probably be easier accommodation-wise to stay at the hotel, but I wouldn't hesitate to make evening plans with them. You'll have lots of time after arriving at your placement to make friends with other JETs.

If there is a large group from your ken I would stay in the hotel. Its good chance to socialize and make a social group for the first month or two before you ditch them for the cool kids. If you are the only one then it really makes no difference. 99% of the time you will never see your new best friends ever again.

In the end time is really short and things go fast. Just sit back in relax, screw the commute.

there wont be any relevant info. I missed everything except the opening ceremony, drinks reception and Embassy drinks and I managed to survive. They never bothered to check attendance in those days so your mileage may vary
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    there wont be any relevant info. I missed everything except the opening ceremony, drinks reception and Embassy drinks and I managed to survive. They never bothered to check attendance in those days so your mileage may vary
    Congratulations on missing the many people saying that CLAIR are bringing in contracted training companies this year instead of relying on ALTs.

I also have it on good authority that they will be taking attendance this year, too. Looks like they're fed up with people skipping an official business meeting on the advice of drunk-ass people who were there ten years ago.
    ...because Japan.

it'll still be bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    it'll still be bollocks.
    Hey, at least it gives an excuse for prefectural orientations that cover the exact same ground as the old TO. Maybe even have better, more localized information available instead of telling 1200 new ALTs that every school in Japan is the same but ESID.

Still, I assume it will be a lot of Japanese education theory/Japanese workplace etiquette/Interpersonal-Intercultural communication designed to get ALTs to actually be able to communicate and work with their JTEs. It may be total hogwash, but its better than AJET jizzing all over everything and inviting outside companies to come and sell shit to the ALTs that are suckers and think they need/will use Planet Eigo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I also have it on good authority that they will be taking attendance this year, too. Looks like they're fed up with people skipping an official business meeting on the advice of drunk-ass people who were there ten years ago.
    I like you, Antonath.

Certainly think OP could slip away for dinner at least once. But you have a responsibility to attend. Pay JET back for giving you a free flight to Japan and a shiny new visa.
    Last edited by Bi-Kun; July 4th, 2014 at 11:16.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I agree with util, Noone really knows this year. Don't make any plans based on previous years information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.