Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Then you're going to make some small business owners very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ya, they'll give you 2k before you come, because it's familliar currency to most foreigners, but to Japanese they've probably never seen a 2k note before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Same here: Fresh from the bank of canada a stack of 2,000yen notes, even though I specifically requested 10,000's. Annoyed.

Sounds stupid advice, but put some weight on before you come out here. The stress of a new job/country/food and the heat will help you lose it when you get here. I started at 9 stone, went up to 10, and now within 2 weeks of being here am back down to 9 again.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Sounds stupid advice, but put some weight on before you come out here. The stress of a new job/country/food and the heat will help you lose it when you get here. I started at 9 stone, went up to 10, and now within 2 weeks of being here am back down to 9 again.
    Ban this foo.

You'll probably end up with a man-bag if you don't already have one. Keep a second wallet in your bag (in a closed pocket) with your excess cash in it.

I don't like to keep my wallet in my pockets (in the summer) because it inevitably becomes soaked with leg-sweat. Keep a piece of paper with your information on it in their too. Won't help you if its stolen, but might if you drop it somewhere.

EDIT: Put on weight? Hah - don't try to. But eat all your favorite foods one last time before heading out. It might be a couple of months or more before you can scrape the less common ingredients together to make your favorite comfort food.
    Last edited by webstaa; July 14th, 2014 at 08:44.

There is a car tax that will hit you around march if you drive.
    Make sure your local taxes are being taken out if you are not American or on your third year.
    You will get a little slip of paper around January this is your Tax info.
    Make sure your pension is being taken out.

Default Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post
    Make sure your local taxes are being taken out if you are not American or on your third year.
    On a related note, when something official-looking comes in the mail written in Japanese, it's probably important to actually figure out what it says. I can't believe the number of ALTs I know who just tend to assume "eh, it'll be fine!" only to result in crisis later when they realize they didn't pay their taxes/didn't renew their driver's license/are no longer covered by insurance/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    On a related note, when something official-looking comes in the mail written in Japanese, it's probably important to actually figure out what it says. I can't believe the number of ALTs I know who just tend to assume "eh, it'll be fine!" only to result in crisis later when they realize they didn't pay their taxes/didn't renew their driver's license/are no longer covered by insurance/etc.
    See my first three water bills where I didn't realize the front AND back pages peeled open :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    See my first three water bills where I didn't realize the front AND back pages peeled open :P
    Same. I started seeing A lot of red ink very quickly.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Indirect communication is king here. Learn to look beyond obvious signs like some of the previous posters said.

''you must be cold'' means you are under dressed.

When you come into work with a tie (in December) and the local office ladies are screaming about how cool you look, it means you should've worn one earlier.
    Likewise if you wear a tie in July and your coworkers are telling you how hot you must be, it's cool to take it off now.

''muzukashiii'' from your supervisor means ''no'' or ''I'm not going to help you with it''
    Similar phrases are ''kangaetemimasu''、 an unenthusiastic (and longer and usual, volume slowly fading) ''Haiii''

''I'm washing my hair that day'' She doesn't want to hang out with you.

''Hai'' does NOT mean that they agree with what you said, only that they understood what it means. Too many ''hai's'' probably means they are done with the topic at hand or just don't want to listen to your boring trip to (insert Southeast Asian country here).
    Last edited by azguitarist; July 15th, 2014 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by azguitarist View Post
    ''しい'' from your supervisor means ''no'' or ''I'm not going to help you with it''
    Similar phrases are えてみます...
    The majority of the new hires aren't capable of reading kanji, so writing those words using kanji isn't super helpful. Just sayin'...
    Last edited by spman2099; July 15th, 2014 at 14:27.
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Those are really common words, and the majority of new hires can probably use a dictionary if needed. My bad, I'll edit the post.
    Last edited by Antonath; July 15th, 2014 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by jwkelley View Post

If you have a car - SAVE ALL THE RECEIPTS FOR EVERY TAX YOU PAY ON IT. You'll need them come Shaken time. If your town hall is staffed by assholes, they'll make you pay to get a copy of the receipt (that says you already paid.)

You can walk faster than the automatic doors can open.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamirose View Post
    You do walk faster than the automatic doors can open.
    Fixt
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Fixt
    Do... Nah always. I swear I had bruises on my shoulders for the first year here cuz I kept judging the doors wrong.

Remember that their job as your supervisor is a very small part of their job and because Japan rotates people it might be their first time and they might not know what to do. There are guidelines as to how they can support you and some supervisors are willing to stretch it while others aren't. There are a lot of things that ALTs expect supervisors to do when it really isn't their responsibility to do it (though it would be nice if they'd help anyway). I know ALTs whom have gotten upset because their supervisor wouldn't help them set up internet (and then there's always the same about buying/selling cars) but it wasn't technically required of them and as it turned out the supervisor in question didn't have internet in their own home and didn't know the first thing about going about it. In those situations talk to people at school (JTE, BOE, etc.), fellow ALTs, PAs about how to get it taken care of.

Re: writing in Japanese in here. It's not a rule that you can't write in Japanese but as this is the aspiring forum it's a lot more likely that there are posters who can't speak or read Japanese so try to keep that in mind, even if it's just the romaji in parentheses, when you post here. Someone whom doesn't speak Japanese wouldn't know the first thing about how to look up kanji (or even kana).

I know a lot of people who come to Japan and do the opposite of fang so I don't know that I'd recommend bulking up before coming but definitely eat all the food you'll miss before coming and maybe invest in a book for making your favorite recipes from scratch.
    Last edited by Page; July 23rd, 2014 at 10:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

I definitely wouldn't recommend bulking up either. (Fang was in Japan less than a week when she wrote that, I am imagining she will re-visit that thoughts free being here a year.)
    Most people, especially girls, put on weight here.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I definitely wouldn't recommend bulking up either. (Fang was in Japan less than a week when she wrote that, I am imagining she will re-visit that thoughts free being here a year.)
    Most people, especially girls, put on weight here.
    Women put weight on more easily than men, so yeah.

But yes, unless you are an absolute waif you probably don't want to put on weight before you come here, since a lot of women have trouble buying clothes here as it is. Also it would be nice if we could have some foreign ALTs who didn't weigh twice as much as 99% of Japanese girls and spend half their time having nasty conversations about how Japanese women need to eat a sandwich.