Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Default Re: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

That reminds of the fatties back home that use to tell me I was unhealthy because I was thin, haha
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    Remember that their job as your supervisor is a very small part of their job and because Japan rotates people it might be their first time and they might not know what to do. There are guidelines as to how they can support you and some supervisors are willing to stretch it while others aren't. There are a lot of things that ALTs expect supervisors to do when it really isn't their responsibility to do it (though it would be nice if they'd help anyway). I know ALTs whom have gotten upset because their supervisor wouldn't help them set up internet (and then there's always the same about buying/selling cars) but it wasn't technically required of them and as it turned out the supervisor in question didn't have internet in their own home and didn't know the first thing about going about it. In those situations talk to people at school (JTE, BOE, etc.), fellow ALTs, PAs about how to get it taken care of.
    More good advice from Page. This is also true of JTEs, so if they do help you out, be sure to thank them appropriately.

Also, don't just be willing to try new Japanese food, but find things that you like. You're much more likely to make a good impression and maybe someday Japanese people will stop asking if we can eat natto.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    maybe someday Japanese people will stop asking if we can eat natto.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Here's some not so obvious advice,

Don't assume that the paperwork you receive and sign is for the purpose it says. Don't assume you will have any privacy, and definitely don't assume you can say no to thinks which would be normal back home (like release of information).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Don't assume you will have any privacy...
    word

This extends far beyond medical records and school and the like. I once had a JTE enter my house (with a key I didn't know the BoE had) while I was away. I confided a small secret with J-friend and was asked about it by my JTE three days later. These events took place in an extraordinarily small town, but still... privacy often takes a back seat where the resident gaijin is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    ...and definitely don't assume you can say no to things which would be normal back home (like release of information).
    To an extent. You can refuse certain things, and sometimes you should. I refuse the annual x-ray every other year, and regularly refuse certain other "mandatory" medical checks (I am not going to bring a container of my feces to school, tyvm).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    word

This extends far beyond medical records and school and the like. I once had a JTE enter my house (with a key I didn't know the BoE had) while I was away. I confided a small secret with J-friend and was asked about it by my JTE three days later. These events took place in an extraordinarily small town, but still... privacy often takes a back seat where the resident gaijin is concerned.

To an extent. You can refuse certain things, and sometimes you should. I refuse the annual x-ray every other year, and regularly refuse certain other "mandatory" medical checks (I am not going to bring a container of my feces to school, tyvm).
    Faeces, wut?

If I found out my school had gone in my apartment without asking me I would hit the fucking roof. What did you do/say?

Yeh, have you never had 'em ask you for a stool sample? I was kinda like LOLNOPE.

As for the house thing, it was during my second month here, and my head was still ringing with all the "cultural differences" talks I'd gotten. I was quite civil but let them know that I was going to be changing the locks on the house. They were apologetic and assured me it would nevar happen again; to my knowledge, it nevar did.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

But did you change the locks? I wouldn't have thought that would be allowed in a BOE owned property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Nah, I never did; they seemed confused that I was troubled by their actions but also anxious to avoid causing problems in the future. I felt like they were pretty sincere in their assurances that they wouldn't do it again. I had other minor issues with them from time to time, but that never seemed to be one of them.

If they'd been flippant about it, though, I absolutely would've changed the locks. I do a lot of things that I'm not "allowed" to do (drive to school, wear short-sleeved shirts when it gets warm, rather than some arbitrary day, etc.).

What was their reason for going in?

Did they know you weren't going to be there? I mean I just don't get how they think it can be ok to go in someone's house without checking with them when would be a good time to come over. What if you were on the toilet or taking a shower or fucking your girlfriend or having a wank? There's plenty of reasons why someone would be at home and not answer their door, doesn't mean that busting down the door is cool.

Is this one of those things that they think is fine because gaijin is not person? Cause I can't imagine a Japanese teacher would be cool with the BoE coming in and rifling through all his loli manga and schoolgirl DVDs.

They were bringing freshly re-covered fusuma panels in. They told me they'd do it after school that day. Sometime just after lunch, my JTE came up and LOLed at me for having a bunch of aluminum cans out (I had been rinsing them; hadn't bought the proper trash bags yet). I was all like "wtf" and she was like "yeah I let the guys in while you were at ES." I dunno what she was doing in there with 'em, but she was a nosy b*tch so it didn't surprise me at all.

I don't know if this has been said, but using too much Japanese in the beginning can be a disadvantage.

If you seem good in the beginning they expect more out up in terms of understanding. The thing is, you might be great at introducing yourself or talking about your study abroad trip but chances are you haven't studied all the bureaucratic mumbojumbo you'll have to deal with. But if you came in with your J-go guns blazing, they will (mostly) expect you to have that same level of understanding for all Japanese.

I recommend reigning in the skillz at first. (This is for people N3 and above.)

Those below, use what you have. If you're mute in the beginning, you the run the risk of being ignored.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    word

I refuse the annual x-ray every other year
    Annual x-ray? Is that a TB thing? Why is Japan so terrified of TB?

If your coworkers complain that ALTs make way more than they do, point out to them that ALTs don't get bonuses. Most teachers get a much lower monthly paycheck with 5 months' salary worth of "bonuses" per year, so when you look at annual income we make about the same as a 1st year full-time teacher

and then look at how much work an ALT does compared to a 1st year full-time teacher. Then hang your head in shame.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

and then look at how much work an ALT does compared to a 1st year full-time teacher. Then hang your head in shame.
    Yeah I'm so ashamed of not wasting all of my time being pointless and inefficient so I can go retire after 60 to a family that I have no relationship with.

you just waste your early 20's being pointless and inefficient?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    If your coworkers complain that ALTs make way more than they do, point out to them that ALTs don't get bonuses. Most teachers get a much lower monthly paycheck with 5 months' salary worth of "bonuses" per year, so when you look at annual income we make about the same as a 1st year full-time teacher
    This.

I have this argument at least once a month.
    Then they`re all like...oh but monthly blah blah....fuck your monthly.
    Last edited by yingyangryder; July 29th, 2014 at 16:51.

you just waste your early 20's being pointless and inefficient?
    Yeah but that's just in the quest for poon. I'm pretty good at being an ALT.