Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Default Re: Not so obvious advice for new ALTs

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Yeah but that's just in the quest for poon. I'm pretty good at being an ALT.
    Good ALT=
    Show up (check)
    Not hung over (check)
    Pulls out activity/game loosely related to a lesson that a ALT made back in 1990 (check)

Some times that's all it takes

(I am joking of course)
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    (I am joking of course)
    Are you though? Are you really?
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

I'd say that's pretty accurate, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Haha fair enough
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Banned

Maybe this isn't the greatest thread for this, but I just bought a bunch of random mystery sauces and dips from the grocery store. What is the kanji I should be looking for for "refrigerate after opening?

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Are you though? Are you really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post
    I'd say that's pretty accurate, actually.
    With a lot of my JTE's, that all I have the power to do. I don't get to help or be involved with lesson planning for any core material. All I can do is wait for the many times they tell me at the last minute that they need me to fill between 5-50 minutes of class time.

I come up with that great adaptable games that can be used for almost any grammar point, and come into the classroom with energy and a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Maybe this isn't the greatest thread for this, but I just bought a bunch of random mystery sauces and dips from the grocery store. What is the kanji I should be looking for for "refrigerate after opening?
    開栓後要冷蔵
    Last edited by soh; August 27th, 2014 at 19:48.

Banned

Okay, it looks like everything has at least some of those kanji, even my vinegar. Are they just paranoid, or do some of them say "Not necessary to refrigerate"?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Not would have 不 in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Good ALT=
    Show up (check)
    Not hung over (check)
    Pulls out activity/game loosely related to a lesson that a ALT made back in 1990 (check)
    Don't forget:
    Show up NOT SMELLING OF BOOZE

A lot of new ALTs forget this subtle difference.

win over your VP...win yourself a second year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Dear new ALTs. Sometimes you will have interactions with your Japanese teachers in which you have no idea what they're trying to ask because they have bad English. You might be asked

"John-sensei, do you prepare za activity?"

And you have no idea what they mean. Do they mean "Did you prepare an activity?" Or do they mean "Would you prepare an activity?" You see if you answer no to the former they might mean the latter and think you're not going to prepare an activity for class. But if you answer yes to the latter they might mean the former and expect you to have it ready immediately.

Unfortunately if you try to have them clarify they won't realise they messed up their English and will instead assume you are trying to subtly imply something else, possible about how mad you are at them daring to ask something of you, and they may well run off and hide from the scary foreigner or tell you you don't need to come to class that day.

I guess the answer is to answer in a full sentence? "I haven't prepared one yet, but I will blah-blah" or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I guess the answer is to answer in a full sentence? "I haven't prepared one yet, but I will blah-blah" or whatever?
    Do you want the old dear to have a heart attack?! She has to take notes if I say more than ten words in a row.*

*this is not a joke btw

I just imagined all the activities being explained in mime, haha.
    That is kind of sad, though.

Dear new ALTs. Sometimes you will have interactions with your Japanese teachers in which you have no idea what they're trying to ask because they have bad English. You might be asked

"John-sensei, do you prepare za activity?"

And you have no idea what they mean. Do they mean "Did you prepare an activity?" Or do they mean "Would you prepare an activity?" You see if you answer no to the former they might mean the latter and think you're not going to prepare an activity for class. But if you answer yes to the latter they might mean the former and expect you to have it ready immediately.

Unfortunately if you try to have them clarify they won't realise they messed up their English and will instead assume you are trying to subtly imply something else, possible about how mad you are at them daring to ask something of you, and they may well run off and hide from the scary foreigner or tell you you don't need to come to class that day.
    I can relate. Most of my JTE's speak English really well and have a lot of experience with ALT's. I have one ALT I really struggle with though, and everyday our conversations feel much like the one you have in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I have one ALT I really struggle with though, and everyday our conversations feel much like the one you have in your post.
    Singaporean?

Shit. JTE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

great idea for a thread. i'd add something not related to teaching, but traveling: if you're in a foreign country, buy your omiyage at a supermarket. just buy some authentic-looking goods from where the locals would otherwise shop as the prices won't be deflated and it will look pretty much the same as omiyage you'd get at the airport except at less than 1/2 the price
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram

Adding: get out of your bubble of however-many ALTs and study-abroad friends and talk to people who are different from you.
    One of the best things about JET/living abroad is the diversity of experiences around you (and don't confuse this with ethnic or racial diversity).
    Talk to ALTs who live far from you, who live in other prefectures, CIRs, SEAs, PAs, private ALTs, foreigners outside of JET, foreigners who don't speak English as their native language, Japanese people who've traveled abroad, Japanese people who've never left their hometown, grandmas who remember the war, kids who can only communicate through rock-paper-scissors...
    So many people get stuck in this bubble of comparing situations and crafting their so-called expertise and understanding on the 4 ALTs from their same home country that live around them. "The frog in the well knows nothing of the ocean."