Thread: Moving within Japan: Time frames, racism, the whole shebang!

Default Moving within Japan: Time frames, racism, the whole shebang!

Hey all,

I will be moving out of my city for work once the school year is over, and have contacted a couple real estate agents who seem quite helpful.

However, I was just wondering... for those of you that have moved elsewhere in Japan, how did that work out for you? I've heard tales of people being refused at every turn by landlords because they were foreigners. Is it really that bad? I've been employed by a BOE for the past few years, so hopefully that would show I'm reliable.

Also, how long does the process take on average? From the time you find a listing you like till you're finally approved to move in, that is.

I'm a little stressed out about this, so any input at all would be a big help. Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Moving within Japan: Time frames, racism, the whole shebang!

いい部屋ネット 大東建託[賃貸アパート・賃貸マンション住宅情報満載!]

i use these guys. no fucking around with deposits and key money or whatever. pay a set cleaning fee up front and move into a place that is either a few years old or has just been renovated. Go into the local office, say where you want to live and what your budget is, get shown around, choose one, fill out a few forms and move in whenever you want. unless you have PR you will need a guarantor because of Japanese law (OMG Racists!!!!!!!!)
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks Ini! I'll keep them in mind.
    縺縺縺ソ縺ァ

Cool, thanks for the info! I was aware of the need for a guarantor... but how does it work exactly? Does the guarantor have to be present at the time you sign the papers? I think there are people that would vouch for me, but I don't know all that many people in the city I'll be moving to. I must just have to try one of those companies!

Apamanshop was ok with my boss just signing the papers. If you can't find anyone to sign for you, there's always Leopalace...

Yeah, Leopalace... Though it seems like the general consensus on the internet is that the walls are paper-thin, and you can literally hear everything your neighbours do...

I could ask my employer, though there's a chance I might want to look for another job in the future. Apparently if you quit your job and your employer is your guarantor, you'll be out of a place to live too!

Thanks for the link Ini!

Having been in my leopalace apt for nearly 4 days/nights now, I can confirm that I cannot hear my neighbours unless I have my door open. But then I am in one of the newer builds...
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...