Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-stay in Tokyo.

Default Home-stay in Tokyo.

I was recently upgraded and found out today that I will be staying in Tokyo. I also received an email from a home-stay organization. Does that mean that I have to stay with a host family or do I still have the option of having a place of my own. I would really appreciate any clarification.

Default Re: Home-stay in Tokyo.

The Homestay is temporary.

Immediately after the Tokyo Orientation (with JETs from everywhere) we'll be staying in a hotel for a couple of days, followed by Homestaying until the end of Prefectural Orientation. Once the Prefectural Orientation is over, you will be moving into your own place assisted by a designated Real Estate agent.

This is how it's working for groups A and B, I'm not sure on the specifics if you're in group C.

You should also have been contacted with some information and a short questionnaire from the Real Estate agent, attached to your general Welcome Letter (the same email with information about your specific school and contract). If you haven't received the welcome letter yet, I suppose there isn't much to do but wait for the BoE to contact you.

Again, I don't know much about how Group C is being handled if you're part of that, but rest assured that the Homestay is definitely temporary, and you will have a place of your own within the first few weeks.

Bring a lot of money. Moving into a new apartment in Tokyo can be expensive. I haven't heard if Tokyo BOE will cover any of the move in costs but assume they wont and hope for the best.

Damn, who the hell turned down a Tokyo placement?!?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Damn, who the hell turned down a Tokyo placement?!?
    There's a subset of applicants who fantasize about living in some sort of Ghibli utopia with waterfalls, kindly old bags next door and fairies in the woods. They can swap their Tokyo placements with me if they like, as long as they don't mind replacing the natural idyll with closed-down shops.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    There's a subset of applicants who fantasize about living in some sort of Ghibli utopia with waterfalls, kindly old bags next door and fairies in the woods. They can swap their Tokyo placements with me if they like, as long as they don't mind replacing the natural idyll with closed-down shops.
    That's actually a lot what my placement is like, except that the kindly old bags next door are nosy b*tches who go through your garbage and call the police if you have more than one car parked in front of your house, and the fairies in the woods are actually mukade and they want to lay eggs in your nostrils while you're sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Do it! While I suspect you don't like me, we could go to overpriced shows with no opening act together. Or rather we'd be in the same building.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    That's actually a lot what my placement is like, except that the kindly old bags next door are nosy b*tches who go through your garbage and call the police if you have more than one car parked in front of your house, and the fairies in the woods are actually mukade and they want to lay eggs in your nostrils while you're sleeping.
    Ha!

This, although beaches, onsen, and hiking pretty much make up for it.

I have what seems to be a great spot in terms of ghibli magnificence, and I would turn down a Tokyo placement in a heartbeat. Not about that life.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Before I came, I would have gladly had a tokyo position. I now know better, and would never ever want to be in that big of a city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Just so incoming peeps know, Tokyo covers kind of a big area.

Screw Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Yeh but most Tokyo JETs this year are actually being placed in the city; it's not like Tokyo is a guaranteed island placement anymore.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Man, I hear you guys speak and I feel super lucky to have my placement. My city is actually growing, believe it or not. Obviously there are some closed shops, but for the most part the store spaces in the malls and on the street are full. My schools are actually expanding to meet increased need, too.

We have three huge employers in our city. We have a big Hitachi factory that makes bullet trains that are used domestically and shipped abroad. We have a huge pharmaceutical facility which apparently does its testing on ostriches of all things. We also have a steel factory. People are moving in for work from what I'm told.

It's not bad for a city of 50,000.
    Last edited by johnny; July 9th, 2014 at 22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Before I came, I would have gladly had a tokyo position. I now know better, and would never ever want to be in that big of a city.
    How would you feel about a mid-sized city? I think Kobe might have been nice. I also love Fukuoka.

Also, Tokyo might be nice in a way. I mean, I guess if you live in Tokyo, you spend most of your time living within a particular district, right. You might have your own little community within the big city I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I feel super lucky to have my placement.
    so you repay them by dossing around doing a half assed job? for shame.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

so you repay them by dossing around doing a half assed job? for shame.....
    At least you're not screwing around at work when you're trolling me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post

Those island placements aren't bad. You're still close to the city if you need your fix

Screw Tokyo.
    Ya, I like osaka a lot too

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Do it! While I suspect you don't like me, we could go to overpriced shows with no opening act together. Or rather we'd be in the same building.
    Nonsense. I like all of the regular posters in my own slightly hostile way.

As for cities, I'm baffled by the dislike for both Osaka and Tokyo on here, I'd gladly live in either. The midsize cities all seem much of a muchness except Kyoto.

There are JETs in my prefecture who have never heard of Yokohama. it seems strangely low-profile for the country's second city.

Nonsense. I like all of the regular posters in my own slightly hostile way.

As for cities, I'm baffled by the dislike for both Osaka and Tokyo on here, I'd gladly live in either. The midsize cities all seem much of a muchness except Kyoto.

There are JETs in my prefecture who have never heard of Yokohama. it seems strangely low-profile for the country's second city.
    I just don't really like cities. They're fun to visit, and I'm kinda fascinated by Tokyo in an odd anthropological way, but I would nevar want to live there. Big cities give me the heebie-jeebies. I cannot think of a worse place to be in a crisis situation--even a minor crisis.

Cost of living is way too high in the city for an ALT. Fuck that noise, I'll gladly live rent-free and super cheap in the inaka. There's plenty of chances to get to a big city for cheap anyways.