Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home-stay in Tokyo.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Default Re: Home-stay in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Nonsense. I like all of the regular posters in my own slightly hostile way.

As for cities, I'm baffled by the dislike for both Osaka and Tokyo on here, I'd gladly live in either. The midsize cities all seem much of a muchness except Kyoto.

There are JETs in my prefecture who have never heard of Yokohama. it seems strangely low-profile for the country's second city.
    My hatred for Tokyo is not necessarily about the city, and more about what it does to the surrounding area. There are communities dieing in Kanto because there is nothing to keep people, so people go to Tokyo. Since everyone goes to Tokyo, there is no reason to stay in the area. Its a cycle of suck, and it is a shame that Tokyo sucks the life out of the area. But if you are young, and smart, you know you HAVE TO go to Tokyo to find a job because there isn't much of an alternative.

Also I find it sad and amusing when I hear people talk about going to Tokyo for the weekend and going to Zawatami and Karaoke. You can find that shit anywhere, why take a 2-3hour train into Tokyo to do it for more? If you go to Tokyo, go get some crazy foreign food, or a hooker.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Dear god, what the hell is this, I agreed with BJ about something...

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I just don't really like cities. They're fun to visit, and I'm kinda fascinated by Tokyo in an odd anthropological way, but I would nevar want to live there. Big cities give me the heebie-jeebies. I cannot think of a worse place to be in a crisis situation--even a minor crisis.
    Me neither, actually. Truth be told, if I was in the middle of Osaka city proper I think I'd go insane. I live about a half-hour away from the City-city, and work just a little short of where my city's residential area stops and the mountains begin. There's enough green around that it's not all concrete jungle, though it is just a little busier than I'd like. And yeah - expensive...but then I'm Australian, so it's not really much different cost-of-living-wise, slightly cheaper in fact.
    TBH a big part of me would really like to go Ghibli, but it's really convenient where I am, my (still-very-limited) Japanese is all Osaka-ben, and there's a certain practicality about the local attitude/regional outlook (as much as such a thing can be said to exist) that I really appreciate.

I don't mind big cities but Osaka is a cesspool. It's the Baltimore of Japan.

Osaka is the Saitama of the west.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I can't speak for the regional outlook, but as far as "going Ghibli" is concerned, it's really not that bad. Even in the ultra-inaka, life can be pretty convenient. The worst aspects are usually transportation and company. Japan's inaka is an under-appreciated wonderland just waiting to be discovered (though I don't expect the Japanese population to realize this fact anytime soon).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so even staying in Tokyo a few days makes me feel all claustrophobic and stressed. The town I'm in now (about 200,000 people) is a good size. It's not too crowded, but still urban enough to have restaurants and shopping within a reasonable distance. I live in a more rural part of town and still have 2 grocery stores, 3 combini, 2 100 yens, a home center, 2 liquor stores, and at least 4 coin laundries within a 10 minute bike ride.

I wonder why Tokyo hasn't gotten their shit together and found apartments for the new people yet.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so even staying in Tokyo a few days makes me feel all claustrophobic and stressed. The town I'm in now (about 200,000 people) is a good size. It's not too crowded, but still urban enough to have restaurants and shopping within a reasonable distance. I live in a more rural part of town and still have 2 grocery stores, 3 combini, 2 100 yens, a home center, 2 liquor stores, and at least 4 coin laundries within a 10 minute bike ride.

I wonder why Tokyo hasn't gotten their shit together and found apartments for the new people yet.
    Probably because they're starting to realize how hard it will be to find a reasonable place on an alt pay scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post

Because they've hired real-estate agents and put them in contact with us so that we can pick our own places. I don't think the BoE plans on having much more to do with where we live than what they've already done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    Because they've hired real-estate agents and put them in contact with us so that we can pick our own places. I don't think the BoE plans on having much more to do with where we live than what they've already done.
    How has that been so far? Are you going to actually be going out and looking at potential apartments when you get over there?

Are they subsidizing the rent a little bit?
    This is kind of cool in a way, you're like one of the first JETs back in the 80's.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

I think that's part of the reason for the home-stay - give them a place to stay and people to talk to about how to live in Tokyo (as 90% of the advice they'll get from other JETs won't be of too much use - 90% of JETs live in the middle of bumfuck-nowheresville in West-Tent-Flap, Tokohoku.)

The way they've described it, it's basically going to be a one-day thing where they take us out to look at places. They gave us the Realtor's contact info a week or two ago, so there's been back and forth messages about expectations and realities going on since then. I suspect that their plan is to have a place they've basically decided, and then have us go take a look on the last day of Orientation to make sure its okay. We do have veto power on it, but I didn't get the feeling they were much interested in having us shop around - it seems to me they want everything as decided as possible before we arrive.

They aren't subsidizing our rent at all (sob), but the Realtor's seem to know our situation as the shortest commute time available on their questionnaire was 30 minutes. I kind of lucked out as far as commuting goes since my school is in a nice little suburb with very reasonable rent prices, but I suspect most people won't be living anywhere close to their school, if they're living in Tokyo at all. We do get our first paycheck before we sign the lease though, so we'll be less strained with startup money than we could be otherwise - especially since my realtor has told me to expect to pay six times my rent when I get the place.

Banned

Six times. Jesus, I hope that's just so that it seems like you get off lucky when you only have to pay three or four times your rent.

my realtor has told me to expect to pay six times my rent when I get the place.
    We've found out how they're fixing the economy, guys: fleecing gaijin, one weeaboo at a time.

Seriously, that is ridiculous. I don't like to make waves, but you might want to find out why and argue it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

key money sucks

You can negotiate it down. I did when I rented my place last year.

Unless its a shoebox 6 months rent will be more than your first paycheck. Better get saving......
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Seriously just tell the agents to fuck off and find you a place without key money and whatnot. Seriously, there are TONS of foreigner-friendly options in Tokyo with reasonable deposits.

Also, why is Tokyo not considering hooking you guys up with municipal housing (都営)?
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

6x rent = first month, last month, deposit (1-2x?), Key money (2x?)