Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home-stay in Tokyo.

Default Re: Home-stay in Tokyo.

This is the list I was given by the agent:

★When renting a room in Japan, the list below will cost as initial fees.
    ※Please understand the prices may change, depending on which room you
    stay in.
    1. Key money (the price will approximately cost 1~2 month of the rent)
    2. Deposit (the price will approximately cost 1~2 month of the rent)
    3. Proceeding fee (the price will cost 1 month of the rent)
    4. Daily rent (daily fee of the month you move in)
    5. Daily Common service fee (daily fee of the month you move in)
    6. Rent for the following month
    7. Common service fee for the following month
    8. Room cleaning fee (will cost 32,400 yen~)
    9. Fire insurance fee (15,000 yen/2 month)
    10. First compensation fee (16,200 yen)
    11. Daily compensation fee (daily fee of the month you move in)
    12. Compensation fee for the following month
    The contract money will approximately cost sextuple of the rent fee.
    ※Further information about the contract will be explained, when the room
    is decided.
    ▲Number 6,7,12 will cost every month

From my own personal research, none of the places that are around my area are asking for Key Money, so I suspect that will be a non-issue for me. I by no means expect to actually pay near that much, but I still suspect it'll be a good chunk of money.

What the hell is a compensation fee?
    ...because Japan.

That is actually something I was going to ask the agent about myself lol

Default Home-stay in Tokyo.

A room cleaning fee? Wow. I would have thought the deposit would cover that.
    Last edited by johnny; July 11th, 2014 at 14:35.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I assume the common service fee is water, gas, electricity. Proceeding fee will be the agent's cut. I agree with Johnny that you'd think deposit would include cleaning, but maybe the deposit is only big things like tatami, scratches on walls, etc.
    ...because Japan.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That's a pretty absurd list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Deposits usually are for damage. Cleaning fee is to clean the place after you leave. Common service fee is to pay the old lady who comes around and sweeps the front of the building. I think they mean processing fee rather than proceeding, which is probably the realtor fee. No clue what compensation fee is, so you should probably ask. You might be able to talk them down on the key money and deposit, but everything else is probably not negotiable.

It's pretty ridiculous. Hope you Tokyo kids have 50-60k yen ready to go.

That's stupid and you are being ripped off bad. Tell them thanks but you will use the week of home stay to find your own accommodation. Fuck, I'll find you somewhere to live and only charge you half of that crap if you want....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If they can't bring the deposits down to at least 2 months rent, I would highly recommend finding your own accommodation.

Which agency is the city using?

My company refers our gaijins to Able Corporation (エイブル) and they only charge 40% commission and we have generally good feedback on them.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Banned

Tell them you want to live at the BOE

I don't know anything about life in Tokyo, but I'd trust Ini and UPGRAYEDD here; they know what they're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Default Home-stay in Tokyo.

Unexpected Fees to Expect in Japan | GaijinPot

Fwiw, this article came up on my Facebook freed today. They discuss apartment fees.

Also, Word is right, you should trust Ini on this. He may be a jackass, but he usually knows what he's talking about. I've learnt some really helpful stuff from him.

Upgrayedd seems nice though.
    Last edited by johnny; July 11th, 2014 at 16:27.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I gota get back to work but the moral of the story is that 6 months worth of deposits is absolutely not the norm in Tokyo for the low middle-class type of bachelor housing you will be moving into.

Please do not let the agents take advantage of your situation as a foreigner. The apartment search market in Tokyo is huge and there are literally hundreds of agencies who will compete for your business and pocket that sweet commission when they find you a place. If you can't find an agent who will find you an apartment with a foreign-friendly landlord with no shady key/gift money type of deposits, you can take your business elsewhere.

If you want some agent references, hit me up.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Yeah that really looks like real estate agents trying to make money off of noobs. That's seriously ridiculous. I don't live in Tokyo, but I live close enough to know that's bullshit.
    I'll let you sleep in my dog's room for 4 man, no deposit.

I appreciate the advice everyone. It's good to know that I shouldn't be expecting to pay as much as I thought.

For now I think I'll wait until I hear more about the specific costs of my place before I jump ship, in case that list was just a "make super sure you are prepared" kind of deal.

That being said, one of the advantages of using the agent is that I don't need to worry about finding a guarantor for myself. What is the process of finding a guarantor like?

1. Ask your boss 2.Watch them suck teeth and chotto for a minute 3. Remind them that if they don't do this for you, you'll be homeless 4. Profit

Seriously, as long as your boss isn't a complete asshole, they'd most likely do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    1. Ask your boss 2.Watch them suck teeth and chotto for a minute 3. Remind them that if they don't do this for you, you'll be homeless 4. Profit

Seriously, as long as your boss isn't a complete asshole, they'd most likely do it for you.
    word

I've always been able to get my kocho to do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I gota get back to work but the moral of the story is that 6 months worth of deposits is absolutely not the norm in Tokyo for the low middle-class type of bachelor housing you will be moving into.

Please do not let the agents take advantage of your situation as a foreigner. The apartment search market in Tokyo is huge and there are literally hundreds of agencies who will compete for your business and pocket that sweet commission when they find you a place. If you can't find an agent who will find you an apartment with a foreign-friendly landlord with no shady key/gift money type of deposits, you can take your business elsewhere.

If you want some agent references, hit me up.
    What this man says is true. At most you should be expected to pay 2 times the rent, maybe 3 times the rent.
    but you should be able to find plenty of places near, or in the city for less.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Very glad to see this thread! A friend was placed in Tokyo and sent me a freak-out email about all of the proposed up-front costs.

I'd done a search a couple weeks ago on "homes.co.jp" for apartments in the area of his nearest train station, and found 1K and 2K in the 4-6 man range, many with only one months deposit, and no key money, etc. (and of course still including the cleaning and finder's fees). Now they send him a price list in the same area with 1.5 to 2 times the amount of rent, with all of the ridiculous fees added in, as the OP shared.

I sense that the company, "relocation Japan," is using this contract as a way to get money out of new JETs . . . I can't find much information at all about their apartment-finding wing online, they're a "holdings company"... Shame on the BOE for throwing them to the wolves.

I'd like to find him a place if I could, but I'm too far south to be of any help. Thanks for the suggestions, UPGRAYYED.