Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joining Interac: a wise decision when you have loans?

Default Joining Interac: a wise decision when you have loans?

Hi there! I'm currently with JET and am NOT happy about where I was placed. I want to change to Interac because I hear that they value your preferences (as opposed to outright ignoring them, as JET did). Unfortunately, though, I'm paying 60,000 yen/month in student loans. I heard that many Interac ALTs, especially in urban areas, get stuck with apartments that are 80,000 yen/month.

With JET, I am currently only paying 20,000 yen/month in rent (because my apartment is subsidized, which Interac doesn't do). I love how cheap my apartment is but I REALLY hate living where JET placed me. Seriously, they could not have picked a place more opposite to my preferences if they'd tried. So my question is this: is there anyone on this forum who has high student debt and was placed in an urban area with a high-priced urban apartment (through Interac), and still lives a fairly decent life? Is money so tight that it's suffocating, or do you get by? Personally, I've done the calculations and it SEEMS possible to live frugally in that type of situation (though August worries me because of that mandatory summer vacation), but I definitely want to be sure.

Default Re: Joining Interac: a wise decision when you have loans?

Quote Originally Posted by southernsweettea View Post
    I want to change to Interac because I hear that they value your preferences (as opposed to outright ignoring them, as JET did).
    bbDS4.gif

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Money aside, you might want to check the 'not valuing preferences ' thingat the door. While there are many things one could be critical about regarding the program, I and almost everybody I know got our preferred placements. They don't put that on the forms for a laugh, they just can't give every person what they want... And if you think any other foreign placement organization is any different, you might be in for an unpleasant shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

My interac friends always seemed have less money and thus less fun.

Edit: other things to consider if you haven't
    You'll have to pay for your health insurance and they also do not cover the travel expenses (to and from school) that many BOEs on JET do. Why didn't you just request a transfer?
    Last edited by ihatefall; July 14th, 2014 at 19:12.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Where did you want to be placed and what about it makes it so hideous that you don't want to go there.
    Interac would take you, however, you are at the wrong time of the year if you want your preferences to be taken into account, as we are approaching the busiest time of the year for incomers.
    Are you willing to do a lot of hard work? From what i have been hearing about JET from talking to people, they baby you every step of the way, whereas at Interac you are charged with doing a hell of a lot more. In ES for example, we actually take the whole class.
    If you really DO NOT want to stay where you have been placed, and do not want to work for the year, then give up your position now, so that other more deserving alternates can take your place. But be on the understanding that you will NOT be able to re-apply to JET for a few years, and they will also seriously evaluate your application if you decide to re-apply after the time period is up.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

I love this guy who is in Japan (and thus has a working visa) and is enough of a tithead that he thinks interac values his preferences AND hasn't realised that if he wants to move so much the obvious way is just to directly apply for work in wherever he so desperately wants to believe will fix all his problems.

I love this guy who is in Japan (and thus has a working visa) and is enough of a tithead that he thinks interac values his preferences AND hasn't realised that if he wants to move so much the obvious way is just to directly apply for work in wherever he so desperately wants to believe will fix all his problems.
    Was that aimed at me?

EDIT; just re-read your post...
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; July 14th, 2014 at 19:29.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

From what I understand, the urban placements everyone wants only go to people who've been there a long time and request transfers. It'd be better to look for direct hires in a place you'd want to be.

Also, Interac likes to put their ALTs in Leopalace apartments. They're way overpriced for their size, plus you can hear your neighbors breathe/cough/fart/snore.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    My interac friends always seemed have less money and thus less fun.

Edit: other things to consider if you haven't
    You'll have to pay for your health insurance and they also do not cover the travel expenses (to and from school) that many BOEs on JET do. Why didn't you just request a transfer?
    Is it actually possible to request a transfer on JET? I know a guy who quit JET after his first year because he didn't like his placement. I asked him if he could have just requested a transfer but he said he couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Is it actually possible to request a transfer on JET? I know a guy who quit JET after his first year because he didn't like his placement. I asked him if he could have just requested a transfer but he said he couldn't.
    You can, but you need a reason beyond "I'm a massive tool that needs akihibara in my life."

Medical reasons, marriage,etc.

In-prefecture transfers seem more likely.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Possible, just not always
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

do you really want to move to a city but have no money to do anything? cant you just suck it up and go to the city on weekends to squander your inflated JET salary?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Noone I've ever met on interac has said they are making boat loads of money, especially if they have 6man/month of debt repayment to do. Also, while interac may take your preferences into account more so than JET (I'm sorta with you there on the JET resentment), that is not necessarily right off the bat, but after having worked for them for a while.

Like Ini said though, why would you want to live in an expensive city (I assume), when you can live for sweet Fck all and make way too much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

OP, stay on JET. There were a few months where it was ramen every day, and I didn't even have loans to pay for.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405385492.647802.jpg

This is a current Kobe jet alt's take home pay. How does that compare to interac, zk?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Wow that's after rent too...

Damn you're paying a lot for rent as a JET.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

is that what JETs get paid these days? Jesus, in that case go work for interac....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

That's cheap. The non-prefectuals out here are paying 55,000/month for their places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    is that what JETs get paid these days? Jesus, in that case go work for interac....
    Yeah, gravy train is drying up. Shows, too.

U da real mvp.