Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joining Interac: a wise decision when you have loans?

Aimlessly wandering through this meandering existence.

Default Re: Joining Interac: a wise decision when you have loans?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    cant you defer payment for a year?
    Three years actually, it's quite easy to do too. Problem is .. interest continues to build.

OP: I just recently moved to japan (JET) and I've got about 500man in student loans to pay every month. My first reaction to my apartment was utter disappointment (it's really old but fairly clean), but my rent is only 13,000/month. After doing a cost/benefit analysis, I realized I can afford to pay my student loans, have enough money to buy some comfortable amenities to spruce up the place (couches, tv, air con , fridge, dryer, etc), and still have a decent amount left over to travel around japan and also abroad.

I'm placed in a suburb about 15mins from the center of a large city with 60min shin access to Osaka and Tokyo. So, although I was a bit upset with the quality of my housing the pros of staying far out weigh the cons.

I know for a fact INTERAC won't pay as we'll, your rent will be higher (depending on where they throw you), and you will really have to budget to the ¥100 every paycheck. If your situation is truly that bad then do what will make you happy. However I agree with everyone here by saying you should probably suck it up for the first year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    OP: I just recently moved to japan (JET) and I've got about 500man in student loans to pay every month. My first reaction to my apartment was utter disappointment (it's really old but fairly clean), but my rent is only 13,000/month. After doing a cost/benefit analysis, I realized I can afford to pay my student loans, have enough money to buy some comfortable amenities to spruce up the place (couches, tv, air con , fridge, dryer, etc), and still have a decent amount left over to travel around japan and also abroad.

I'm placed in a suburb about 15mins from the center of a large city with 60min shin access to Osaka and Tokyo. So, although I was a bit upset with the quality of my housing the pros of staying far out weigh the cons.

I know for a fact INTERAC won't pay as we'll, your rent will be higher (depending on where they throw you), and you will really have to budget to the ¥100 every paycheck. If your situation is truly that bad then do what will make you happy. However I agree with everyone here by saying you should probably suck it up for the first year.
    You REALLY need to figure out your Japanese YEN values bro. 500 man is about, 50k USD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    You REALLY need to figure out your Japanese YEN values bro. 500 man is about, 50k USD.
    lol i meant to say I have 500USD/month so that's 5man/month. Still getting used to the currency.

(Cue the newb insults...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    lol i meant to say I have 500USD/month so that's 5man/month. Still getting used to the currency.

(Cue the newb insults...)
    I'd ask what kind of elite school you went to with loans like those.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    To make better pay in the states you have to make around 45-50k before taxes and expenses to beat the JET pay. IMO
    Yes, I basically came back and was making the same salary as JET but with the taxes and higher cost of living it was like taking a significant pay cut.

If you need to save money and pay off loans being a JET in the inaka was perfect. I haven't kept up on how the contracts changed recently.

Former Interac-employee here. If you have student loans (especially around 6man a month,) the urban life is gonna be hard for you. If you're on JET, I would recommend staying there. There are urban placements, but the myth that Interac puts you where you want is just publicity on their part. I put on my application that I would go anywhere in Japan except Hokkaido. I got placed in Sapporo. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, though. Love Sapporo.

Not sure how other branches work, but for Hokkaido, generally oversea new hires were given inaka placements and could be transferred into the city depending on seniority and job performance.

As for money, stay with JET. In Sapporo, they make about 10man ($1000) more than an Interac ALT per month. Makes a huge difference. Many of my friends have had to pick up another job so they don't have to choose between having a social life or eating for the week. And none of them have student loans.
    Last edited by Ame; October 15th, 2014 at 01:09.

Yeah, don't forget the fact that you don't get paid every month with Interac. My friend ended up making about 2,400,000 every year with an apartment costing 6 man en because they plop you in a Leo Palace. And they treat you like dirt. Major dirt. If you're desperate, and a dude, I'd even say don't try it. I've had female friends who have been sexually harassed, physically harassed (by students as well as teachers) and the company and schools wouldn't do a damn thing. Said friend didn't even have student loans.
    OP, you're comparing your take-home pay with all the bills paid to an Interac salary that doesn't include everything taken out. With Interac, after your bills, you'd be at 10 man en take home pay per month, I'd say.

Yeah, the money is crap.
    @ame; i asked for anywhere but hokkiado and have been placed in Kitakyushu. My schools are a bit of a drag to get to (hour on the bus each way), but i do live only a 10 min walk from the centre of the city. I live in a leopalace and pay around 46,000 a month for it. I get all travel back as well.
    The schools and branches do vary, the Fukuoka branch is ok...ish. Arugeing over holiday with them atm. But each school varies and it depends on which contract your on. I am on whats called the Haken contract, where the teacher writes the lesson plans, tells the branch and then they tell me. Slow way of doing it, but on the plus side I'm not the schools bi*tch. If they have any issues or they want me to do anything extra they have to ask the branch.
    The other style contract is a team teaching, were you re given 10-20 mins of each lesson which you have to lead. And the school tells you want to do all the time.
    If you get a choice, choose JET, if you don't, accept Interac if you want to be in Japan or want to kill a year somewhere.

@Penguee; The pay is a month in lieu, makes the first few months hard, but makes it sweet at the end.
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; October 15th, 2014 at 14:26.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Yeah, the money is crap.
    @Penguee; The pay is a month in lieu, makes the first few months hard, but makes it sweet at the end.
    No. Interac doesn't pay you for full months of work in December, January and March. (At least they didn't pay her.) And they don't pay you for all of August, too. Yes, they have the wait a month for pay thing, but you still aren't paid a full salary every month which would make it almost impossible to balance socialization and 6 man a month student loans.

I had partial pay for April, August, December, and March. First paycheck isn't until the end of May I believe for a late March arrival (they pay you a pittance for training). When all was said and done I ended up coming home with less cash than what I took over, though I don't consider it a bust since I got all my souvenirs and a year of living in another country.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiekelly View Post
    When all was said and done I ended up coming home with less cash than what I took over, though I don't consider it a bust since I got all my souvenirs and a year of living in another country.
    Word
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...