Thread: Places actually worth visiting while you are in Japan

Default Re: Places actually worth visiting while you are in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by lulabelle990 View Post
    Kyoto zoo
    Please tell me you're kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Please tell me you're kidding.
    Nope lol, their Giraffe enclosure is pretty awesome. And they have soo many animals, it's pretty big. It's the 2nd biggest in Japan (Ueno is the biggest). It doesn't sound like it but it was a lot of fun. Plus, the area has a lot. The Heian shrine is just outside it and you can get a Rickshaw ride too. It's a good day out Nothing like acting like a kid for a few hours

Arashiyama's great too~ Even though there was a massive storm while I was there xD I took the more scenic and temple route rather than seeing the monkeys~

Nope lol, their Giraffe enclosure is pretty awesome. And they have soo many animals, it's pretty big. It's the 2nd biggest in Japan (Ueno is the biggest). It doesn't sound like it but it was a lot of fun. Plus, the area has a lot. The Heian shrine is just outside it and you can get a Rickshaw ride too. It's a good day out Nothing like acting like a kid for a few hours
    I love going to zoos but the Kyoto Zoo is one of the most pitiful zoos I have ever seen in my entire life. The tigers could barely walk in their cages. And Ueno Zoo is not that big to begin with.

Arashiyama's great too~ Even though there was a massive storm while I was there xD I took the more scenic and temple route rather than seeing the monkeys~
    If you're a fan of Japanese literature, the Shigureden (aka a museum about the hyakunin isshu) is a nice side stop on your way to the mountain. ALSO, the Genji Monogatari Museum in Uji is worth checking out. Beautiful galleries that give visitors a glimpse of life in Heian-era aristocracy.

I love going to zoos but the Kyoto Zoo is one of the most pitiful zoos I have ever seen in my entire life. The tigers could barely walk in their cages. And Ueno Zoo is not that big to begin with.
    They've done a lot of work to the place over the past couple of years, maybe we're thinking of different stages of the rebuild :S

If you're a fan of Japanese literature, the Shigureden (aka a museum about the hyakunin isshu) is a nice side stop on your way to the mountain. ALSO, the Genji Monogatari Museum in Uji is worth checking out. Beautiful galleries that give visitors a glimpse of life in Heian-era aristocracy.
    Yeah, I really wanted to go to the Genji Monogatari museum but I didn't have enough time after the semester ended before I had to go home I'll defo go see it this time round~

They've done a lot of work to the place over the past couple of years, maybe we're thinking of different stages of the rebuild :S
    Hmm, perhaps. I was in Kyoto for the 2012-2013 academic year so maybe some changes have been made (hopefully).

Hmm, perhaps. I was in Kyoto for the 2012-2013 academic year so maybe some changes have been made (hopefully).
    oh, that was the same time I was at Uni in Kyoto. i went to the zoo in July '13 though, just after renovations~

Zoos in japan are only cool if you're a fan of animal cruelty.

If I wanted to see depressed giant beasts crammed into a small concrete box I'd visit a female ALT in their leopalace apartment.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

SharpnessTwig. I think he might be referencing you. And if not, I will .
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Well, i had a good day out. I did other stuff in the area as well.

The Osaka-bashing on here is largely bollocks. Its miles behind Tokyo but miles ahead of any other Japanese city. Roundeyes almost never venture out of Namba unless heading to that fucking awful Spa World, which is where they go wrong.

Rabbit Island is quite entertaining.

Matsuyama is a nice city and has what looked to be the best snack bar in the country. Was with the Mrs so couldn't sample it sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    If I wanted to see depressed giant beasts crammed into a small concrete box I'd visit a female ALT in their leopalace apartment.
    Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Zoos in japan are only cool if you're a fan of animal cruelty.
    So true... I still feel guilty for visiting the safari park in Tohoku. It started snowing and yet there were zebras and other animals from the savannah wandering about. A bunch of the goat-like things seemed to have a disease that caused deformed horns. And there was a happy little museum full of stuffed dead animals that were previous exhibits. They also had shows with animals trained to perform tricks.

It was my first and last experience at an animal park in Japan.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

That sounds like the equivalent of a nightmarish "It's a small world" ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    The Osaka-bashing on here is largely bollocks. Its miles behind Tokyo but miles ahead of any other Japanese city. Roundeyes almost never venture out of Namba unless heading to that fucking awful Spa World, which is where they go wrong.

Rabbit Island is quite entertaining.

Matsuyama is a nice city and has what looked to be the best snack bar in the country. Was with the Mrs so couldn't sample it sadly.
    Yeah, thanks for putting it better than I did. For a lot of people in Southwestern Japan, Osaka is a really convenient and fun place.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Hours late, but that is brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah, I personally prefer Osaka over Tokyo in terms of food and people. Osaka people are way more willing to poke fun at themselves, IMHO.