Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the phrase "native speaker" offensive to you?

Default Re: Is the phrase "native speaker" offensive to you?

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Can we add "TN" as well?
    Triple nipple?
    Yay! I would finally be included in the group!

Quote Originally Posted by tealparadise View Post
    I love when people, in their insane quest to be PC, actually reveal their own racism.
    See: any white South African.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Uhh, if you learned English as a first language then you're a native speaker. Otherwise Americans, Canadians and Australians wouldn't be native speakers of English either.

They are though. They sound fucking ridiculous and barely anyone can understand them. If you teach someone to speak like an American or Australian at least most people stand a pretty good chance of understanding them. If you teach them to speak like someone from Singapore then you've taught them a useless skill since they won't be able to communicate with anyone.
    I know. I find the whole discussion a pointless tone argument because someone got their panties in a twist.

There is a small amount of merit in the employment side of the discussion though. For instance, some people (not many) here in japan could teach English anywhere. Their accent is good, they understand the methodology and systems of how to do it, and they are fully capable teachers. Will they get jobs outside of Japan, I highly doubt it, but being a NNS shouldn't be an automatic disqualification.

Ohh and Jiggit, I didn't learn English as a first language. It was my second. That's actually one of the big problems coming out of the US and Canada right now are billingual children who don't have perfect English skills, but have no problems communicating. English as a language is changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    What do thy have against hermaphrodites? Such haters, those LGBTQHVs are.
    The correct term is Intersex, you monster!

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    The correct term is Intersex, you monster!
    So for human animals we now use a different term than for the rest of the animals?!?
    Those Intersex people/ hermaphrodites can go f#&@ themselves.....

(PS. Intersex has a dotted redline under it when you type it....just saying #NotAWord)
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

According to spell check, my name is not a word, yet it exists in several languages. The only time its a 'real' word is when i switch my spell check to Irish English and not British English.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    According to spell check, my name is not a word, yet it exists in several languages. The only time its a 'real' word is when i switch my spell check to Irish English and not British English.
    Rose of Sharon?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

siobhan aoife ciara treasa ?

What makes a country's citizens auto-native speakers?

The India thing struck me because not everyone in India is a native English speaker, and it's true that many who are do not speak the commonly accepted form of English. And if you sent their writing in to a middle school English teacher anywhere else in the world, it would come back with a big fat F. The differences are far more substantial than UK vs US for instance, and extend to grammar and usage.

Does listing English as an official language make all of your citizens "native speakers" regardless of their level? What do we mean when we say "English?" Do we really mean "English" or do we mean "a method of communication that can be understood by most of the western world?"

But then on the other hand, when I went to Ireland with a friend, he literally couldn't understand anyone. I was "translating" fucking Irish accents and it was hilarious.

If it's different enough that other speakers of English have (a lot of) trouble understanding your "dialect" than maybe it should be a different language such as Hawaiian Pidgin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically, more English speakers speak with an Indian dialect than any other dialect. If we were gonna go by sheer numbers, their English would be the best English.

MG's first language isn't English (and she was born in the US), nor is the first language of at least four of her ALTing coworkers, but they all do pretty well in the classroom. I can't imagine any of them being offended by the term "native speaker." They may make the odd mistake now and again, but they're worlds ahead of any of their JTEs, and that's pretty much what really matters, isn't it? Hell, I spend half my time in my conversational classes pushing the kids to quit being so desperately scared of making a mistake that they'll avoid speaking at any cost. If any of 'em could eventually learn to speak half as well as an Indian, or a Singaporean, or an Irishman, or, f*ck, even an Australian, I'd be thrilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I misled with my original statement about India. I don't think that saying English wasn't someone's first language is a relevant way of qualifying it. If they are native-level it's moot.

India's "English" is more similar to Japan's English- Galapagos'd with loan-words and weirdness, and not actually spoken at a native level by many people. And even vaguely proficient people are difficult to understand. Do they get to claim native English speaker status simply by listing English as an official language of the country?

"According to the 2001 Census of India, almost all Indians who speak English are second language speakers.[3][4][5][6][7] According to the 2005 India Human Development Survey, the surveyed households reported that 72 per cent of men did not speak any English, 28 per cent spoke some English, and five per cent spoke fluent English. Among women, the corresponding percentages were 83, 17, and 3.[8]"

I honestly don't know. Anyway, it's a stupid system- native vs non-native. They should just check people's actual English comprehension.