Thread: Shipping

Banned

Default Shipping

So for everyone preparing to leave soon, what preparations are you making to ship your winter clothes over? With surface apparently no longer an option, I'm looking at regular air mail, but it seems almost prohibitively expensive. I'm thinking about just eating an extra luggage item fee instead, even if it makes my first few hours in Narita that much more hellish.

Default Re: Shipping

Wasn't there a company that mailed out pamphlets to all the schools ALTs about shipping stuff home? I think it was sea based and quite reasonable for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    So for everyone preparing to leave soon, what preparations are you making to ship your winter clothes over? With surface apparently no longer an option, I'm looking at regular air mail, but it seems almost prohibitively expensive. I'm thinking about just eating an extra luggage item fee instead, even if it makes my first few hours in Narita that much more hellish.
    How is surface not an option anymore?

Banned

It floated around here a while back that it's no longer available for personal shipping, only commercial. I looked it up and confirmed it at the time, but I might have missed something.

Literally shipped a shitton of stuff via surface on Monday.

But see my reply in the previous shipping thread- your rinky dink small town post office might never have tried to do a gaikoku shipment before, and may not know the rules themselves. Either inform them, or go to the next larger town over. I had to.

Banned

I'm talking about shipping to Japan, not from it.

After much deliberation, I decided to bite the bullet and just take the extra luggage fees. I'm coming with a carry-on, two large suitcases that are right at/right under the limit, and also my acoustic guitar. I would normally only have 1 big suitcase, but I've been living overseas for the last 2 years and I've collected a lot of souvenirs. Plus it's only $40USD per each additional bag which isn't thaaaaaaaaaaaat bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

have fun carrying all that around tokyo orientation. hope you're not flying domestic to your placement.......
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    have fun carrying all that around tokyo orientation. hope you're not flying domestic to your placement.......
    Isn't there the option to have all your bags shipped directly to your placement once At Narita? I was udner the assumption that was why we can only bring 1 suitcase to Tokyo OT and are forced have to ship the rest to our prefecture.
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    Isn't there the option to have all your bags shipped directly to your placement once At Narita? I was udner the assumption that was why we can only bring 1 suitcase to Tokyo OT and are forced have to ship the rest to our prefecture.
    That's how it's always worked before. Just don't be the guy that takes too much to Tokyo Orientation (the guitar, for instance), and you should be ok.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    That is correct.

Ini came so long ago, things have changed. Back then you had to set off from Tokyo to your prefecture on mules.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Back then you had to set off from Tokyo to your prefecture on mules.
    Thats no way to talk about female JETs!
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Thats no way to talk about female JETs!
    Just using the lingo of the times!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    That's how it's always worked before. Just don't be the guy that takes too much to Tokyo Orientation (the guitar, for instance), and you should be ok.

awesome, that's good to hear. Yeah I definitely don't plan to be that ALT who brings their guitar Tokyo OT to swoon the newly beached landwhales in the late of night.

On a second thought......
    Last edited by par92186; July 17th, 2014 at 15:55.

The young grasshopper has learned well.

I think every country and airline works differently, but I'm sending a box as unaccompanied luggage.
    The problem with that is that you'll have to have access to Narita, which we won't during TO. (Because we get shuffled en-masse to the hotel basically right as we get off the plane and won't have time to deal with it upon arrival.)
    But it's a decent, cheap option that's more reliable and faster than the post office if you can do it.
    fucking genki

Greyjoy where are you from?

Banned

Florida

The post office has flat rate boxes for $50 that can hold a decent amount of stuff. That's probably your cheapest option.