Thread: Non native speakers

Default Non native speakers

I am from a country were English is not the first language, but that participates in the Jet programme, so I would like to know if it is possible to apply for the Jet Programme with a bachelor degree that is not related to education (business and administration in my case).
    What else can I do to improve my chances of getting accepted in the program?

Are there any certificates that will possibly improve my CV?

I will earn my bachelor degree from a university in the United States.

I am studying Japanese in order to fulfill the languages requirements.

I read that some teachers work four hours a day and others eight hours a day, is this correct?

Default Re: Non native speakers

You can most definitely apply with any bachelor's degree. There are tons of ALTs with degrees in non-educational fields.

There've been volumes written on how to increase your chances; just read through the archives. The big things seem to be international experience and educational experience, but these are by no means required. Just be an interesting person and your chances will improve dramatically.

I doubt many certificates will help. Careful not to get suckered into paying a few hundred bucks for a worthless scam TESL course or something.

There are no Japanese language requirements. It can help, but it's not required. Plenty of ALTs near me speak little or no Japanese--I spoke absolutely none when I arrived.

Pretty much all of us work about eight hours day, with the odd exception. Some of us work more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Where does a person start.....

Quote Originally Posted by Flamess View Post
    I am from a country were English is not the first language, but that participates in the Jet programme
    The Jet Programme has people from many different countries. Some countries supply a lot of ALTs and CIRs, some only CIRs and some SEA. Each country is different so I suggest you look into JET via your home country.

I am from a country were English is not the first language, but that participates in the Jet programme, so I would like to know if it is possible to apply for the Jet Programme with a bachelor degree that is not related to education (business and administration in my case).
    Yes any degree is enough. It is mainly used for visa purposes.

What else can I do to improve my chances of getting accepted in the program?
    Tutor people in English, do some work teaching.

Are there any certificates that will possibly improve my CV?
    TESOL/TEFL doesn't hurt.

I will earn my bachelor degree from a university in the United States.
    It sound like you haven't even started your degree. Don't plan your university around JET, it is max a 5 year job not a career.

I am studying Japanese in order to fulfill the languages requirements.
    ah, great...

I read that some teachers work four hours a day and others eight hours a day, is this correct?
    Contract says 35 hours a week. Different schools have different needs. some days I teach one class others I teach 5 plus prep time. I usually work a little extra and keep the schedule of my coworkers which is 8+ hours a day, welcome to the real world.
    Last edited by jacklostinred; July 24th, 2014 at 13:23.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If your country is not an English first language country, in what way does it currently participate in the JET programme? Countries like China and Korea for instance participate, but as CIR not teachers (primarily). A Teacher from France will either be a CIR or an ALT in French rather than English.

More details are required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.