Thread: AJET Connect: TO - Worth it's weight in...?

Default AJET Connect: TO - Worth it's weight in...?

Seasoned veterans, it seems an issue of AJET's Connect magazine is out with advice for new JETs coming to Japan in the next few weeks. What are your thoughts and reactions to the publication? Anything that stood out for you or that you agree or disagree with in particular?

Tokyo Orientation 2014 issue now online! | AJET

TLDR: You've got a lump of cow dung in your hand, do you throw it or drop it in amazement?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: AJET Connect: TO - Worth it's weight in...?

It's certainly not the worst thing they have put out. Though holy fuck there is a lot of AJET wanking in it. You'd think they'd helped cure cancer with the way they are bragging about things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I only glanced at it and could tell it really needs a better editing job. Nice idea to put the joke do-don'ts right before the real ones. Also, good job on having your official newsletter tell newbs to skip lectures. And what's the proper etiquette for an "enaki"? I think I've seen that English poster somewhere before, too, so I hope they didn't just take it from someone's forum post.

Wait, so can people explain to me why people seem to dislike ajet so much? Sounds like an interesting story.

I know people love to shit on AJET, but it seemed relatively well put together. Some of the information was somewhat interesting, even if almost all of it had already been covered by the pre-pre-orientations (there were a lot of orientation events in Toronto) I attended. I personally got a kick out of the SUPER passive aggressive "narcissist's guide to orientation". That being said, they REALLY do like to promote themselves at AJET... Also, at times the guide seemed to encourage the worst kind of behaviour. Still, overall, I would say it was an interesting enough read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

From what I remember, and I may be talking out of my arse, but it's the way they portray themselves. They want people to believe that they are necessary to the JET program. So you can imagine the kind of people that impression might attract.

If I remember correctly they were the ones who were basically told to sod off a year or two ago, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    From what I remember, and I may be talking out of my arse, but it's the way they portray themselves. They want people to believe that they are necessary to the JET program. So you can imagine the kind of people that impression might attract.

If I remember correctly they were the ones who were basically told to sod off a year or two ago, right?
    I'd agree with you right there. But, I think this publication was well put together and has some good info. A few mistakes and maybe some things that could have been edited neater, but I like it overall. Just wanted to give the monkey's of ITIL something to brighten their day. It's been a bit slow these days.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bi-Kun View Post
    I'd agree with you right there. But, I think this publication was well put together and has some good info. A few mistakes and maybe some things that could have been edited neater, but I like it overall. Just wanted to give the monkey's of ITIL something to brighten their day. It's been a bit slow these days.
    I'm referring to their image overall, not just this publication.

It's entirely possible getting booted from TO and otherwise told "thanks but no thanks" has given them the kick up the ass they've needed for a few years.
    ...because Japan.

30mb download... Hell no. Maybe when I get home and am not tethering.