Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Currency Issues

  1. #1

    Default Currency Issues

    I am leaving for Japan next week and am current trying to figure out the best way get my USD into Yen. It seems like every option is shitty though.

    JET claims that there is no time to exchange currency at the airport and that you need to bring a lot of money with you. I'm sure I can get by with less than they recommend bringing, but I obviously need to bring some money with me.

    I called my bank earlier but they wanted to charge me by the dollar and the money would have added up quickly.

    Last time I was in Japan I used 7-11 ATMs, but their fees were obnoxious and I could only withdraw 1man at a time for some reason. And I don't think there are any 7-11s near my placement anyway.

    Is there any way to do this without feeling completely screwed over?

    EDIT: I found another bank that is giving me a much better deal. I guess my normal bank just sucks. Sorry for the pointless thread.
    Last edited by soap; July 25th, 2014 at 06:55.

  2. #2
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Not so pointless - I have a question. How do you intend to survive on less money than they recommend, and how much less?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Not so pointless - I have a question. How do you intend to survive on less money than they recommend, and how much less?
    Guess I should have phrased that differently. I will probably end up bringing the recommended amount of money to be safe. But I feel like you really needed to, you could save a lot of money by not eating out, doing fun things, etc if you couldn't bring that much money with you for whatever reason. It would kind of suck though.

  4. #4
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Post office ATMs take foreign cards. My bank (USAA) doesn't charge for foreign withdrawals so I'm not sure what the rate would be.

  5. #5
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    Guess I should have phrased that differently. I will probably end up bringing the recommended amount of money to be safe. But I feel like you really needed to, you could save a lot of money by not eating out, doing fun things, etc if you couldn't bring that much money with you for whatever reason. It would kind of suck though.
    That sounds a lot better. I got by on about two thirds of the recommended amount, whilst being frugal - but I was lucky with my apartment coatings, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

    Anyway, sounds like you have things in hand - good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,350

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Did the hotel stop exchanging money? When I went I exchanged all my cash at the hotel. Probably wasn't a great exchange rate, but was plenty convenient.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    I don't know if I just lucked out, but my local credit union didn't charge me anything. They gave me the same exchange as the FOREX was reporting, so they didn't conceal their fees in the exchange rate either. It is worth at least looking into your local credit union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

  8. #8
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    If you're in a big enough city there should be a variety of banks willing to sell you yen, shop around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    You might want to call and check how long it'll take for you to get the yen, depending on how rural you are it may take more time than you have to get the cash. Also if you're planning at all to withdraw cash while in Japan make sure you tell your bank that you'll be abroad so they don't freeze your accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

  10. #10
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    The 1 man limit is most likely from your own bank, not from the 7-11 ATMs. Have them set a higher withdrawal limit.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    900

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    I paid a $2.5 exchange fee, which I thought was surprising low, but I'd never actually exchanged currency before. I did it at a currency exchange place at a nearby mall. All the banks would have had to order it, and nobody knew what exchange rate they'd be using because bank tellers are pretty much untrained seals.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    I paid a $2.5 exchange fee, which I thought was surprising low, but I'd never actually exchanged currency before. I did it at a currency exchange place at a nearby mall. All the banks would have had to order it, and nobody knew what exchange rate they'd be using because bank tellers are pretty much untrained seals.
    I wouldn't put the blame on the tellers necessarily. I ordered money through my bank and the problem is that the only rate that matters is the one on the day your order is actually processed. They can tell you what it is now when you submit the order, but when their main currency division or whatever begins to look at your order they take the rate for that day. Though, bank tellers are kinda like apes....

  13. #13

    Default Re: Currency Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by soap View Post
    I am leaving for Japan next week and am current trying to figure out the best way get my USD into Yen. It seems like every option is shitty though.

    JET claims that there is no time to exchange currency at the airport and that you need to bring a lot of money with you. I'm sure I can get by with less than they recommend bringing, but I obviously need to bring some money with me.

    I called my bank earlier but they wanted to charge me by the dollar and the money would have added up quickly.

    Last time I was in Japan I used 7-11 ATMs, but their fees were obnoxious and I could only withdraw 1man at a time for some reason. And I don't think there are any 7-11s near my placement anyway.

    Is there any way to do this without feeling completely screwed over?

    EDIT: I found another bank that is giving me a much better deal. I guess my normal bank just sucks. Sorry for the pointless thread.
    That is something due to your bank. I was able to pull out like 5man in one shot no problem when I was there last.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •