Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Default Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Hey, I am a former JET who is still living in Japan. With the loss of the Aspiring forum on the official page I just thought I would start one over here to answer your questions as best as I (and any other Canadian JETs) can. (PS for some reason it's not allowing me to start new lines).

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Aspiring Canadian JETs 2014

Canadian JET throwing their hat in the ring to help as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Greenhorn aspiring Canadian JET reporting. Anxious for applications to open. :C I'm based in Halifax myself (near the consulate yay).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
    Anxious for applications to open.
    I feel you! I was silly enough to think that "October 2013" meant "October 1, 2013". Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I feel you! I was silly enough to think that "October 2013" meant "October 1, 2013". Oh well.
    An important lesson learned for this application process. Don't get anxious until the end of the month they said you can expect it in.

Hey everybody!

I am getting more and more nervous as the applications start to open. I have most of my papers in order (just waiting on 1 reference letter), so I am doing the waiting game! Good to have another board to discuss JET things on!!

Cool
    Last edited by Coolmanio; October 8th, 2013 at 12:43.

There's a specific form that the recommenders need to fill out and send to you - make sure that it's included when they write their letters of recommendation. If you've already gotten the letters you'll have to have your recommenders send you new ones after the application form is released.

EDIT: wait, it looks like maybe the Canadian application doesn't have this. Gizmo, was that the case when you applied?
    Last edited by therealwindycity; October 8th, 2013 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    There's a specific form that the recommenders need to fill out and send to you - make sure that it's included when they write their letters of recommendation. If you've already gotten the letters you'll have to have your recommenders send you new ones after the application form is released.

EDIT: wait, it looks like maybe the Canadian application doesn't have this. Gizmo, was that the case when you applied?
    When I applied, and in the past, it's just been a kind of checklist/suggestion for you to give to the people you're asking for a letter.

Umm.... I remember a form, but I don't remember if it had to be included in with the letter or not. That was almost 3 years ago now :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The Canadian website just changed "the application for 2014 JET Programme will open in October 2013" to Mid October.

I'm getting slightly obsessed, I don't think it's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    The Canadian website just changed "the application for 2014 JET Programme will open in October 2013" to Mid October.

I'm getting slightly obsessed, I don't think it's healthy.
    Yar I saw that. Good to see they're toying with us. I have most of my stuff figured out, but I want the actual applications to open so I know I have things straight.

I'm reading through more forum threads than articles for my thesis.... It's not a good thing. XD

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post

Yeah, the past few Canadian applications never had to submit a form. There has just been a form to guide the referrers in what they should watch, and it says not to attach it!

That makes getting reference letters so much easier! I wish the US did it that way too.

Has anyone been to a JET info session at their school? Is it worth going to?

Read the lounge, it's far far far more informative than any info session.

The only reason to go to one of those is to see if they've posted the dates for application start or not.

I thought mine was helpful. The person who ran it was the JET coordinator for my consulate, and meeting the consulate staff helps them have a little but better idea of who you are when the interview comes around. Making yourself stand out a little by showing you've been proactive in applying definitely can't hurt.

True windy, and that did help my friend and his girlfriend get in. I just never saw much of a point to it... I had been to a few years before I joined JET (back when I tried uni for a credit) and they were just amazingly uninformative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Networking > knowledge.
    This.

I might go then.

Can't hurt either. I think networking is the best reason to go.