Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Formal Appointment Speech

Default Re: Formal Appointment Speech

You are a teacher's aide man. Face the music.

Sounds like someone has SSS (special snowflake syndrome), when they didn't roll out the red carpet, you got disappointed.
    I hate to say it but the janitor is most likely more committed to his job that most ALTs. I am not saying that coheeshosho isn't a great or bad teacher I have no way of knowing that. What I am saying is that the janitor will spend his whole life in that school system, compared to the ALT who will be around for 2 or 3 years and leave.

Seems like it would harder to replace a good janitor than a good ALT.

That being said, I wasn't treated as a contract worker but more as a special guest lecturer. My speeches were at the front of the pack.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I hate to say it but the janitor is most likely more committed to his job that most ALTs.
    Seems like it would harder to replace a good janitor than a good ALT.
    I agree with the ideas of your post, but I'm not sure that these two statements are in agreement.

As for Coffeeshishi's assessment of things... I'm not sure I want to feed the troll again this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I agree with the ideas of your post, but I'm not sure that these two statements are in agreement.

As for Coffeeshishi's assessment of things... I'm not sure I want to feed the troll again this time.
    What I am saying is that if a good janitor leaves it would be hard(er) to find another people to do that job. There are tons of college students all over the world that dream of teaching abroad for a year. No really dreams of being a janitor. But it seems that once someone settles into that job they seem pretty committed to it. Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.

I don't think he's a troll, he's probably just a JHS ALT at a not very good school.
    I'd buy that, but after the -great minority debate- of a few months ago I'm not sure I would.

That said, there aren't a lot of posts to reply to these days anyway. A troll is better than nothing.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; August 21st, 2014 at 10:15.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

What I am saying is that if a good janitor leaves it would be hard(er) to find another people to do that job. There are tons of college students all over the world that dream of teaching abroad for a year. No really dreams of being a janitor. But it seems that once someone settles into that job they seem pretty committed to it. Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.
    You can replace a "good ALT" with an "ALT" pretty easily, yeah.

My school groundskeepers are awesome.

U da real mvp.

Hell, I think it seems like a good gig. Almost the same pay as teachers, not having to deal the kids and you get to be a handyman all day.
    Obviously there are gonna be a lot of hur hur hurs with this coming from me but I think of interacting with the kids as one of the only perks of this job.

It just seems very miserable that you would dislike it and I don't get why you would come here to be a teacher if you hate kids.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    You can replace a "good ALT" with an "ALT" pretty easily, yeah.

My school groundskeepers are awesome.
    Hahaha I was thinking that as well.

But then I thought about a post I made a couple weeks ago.

"Good ALT=
    Shows up to work on time (check)
    Not drunk or hung over (check)
    Able to match a lesson plan / activity that remotely ties in with lessons (check) "

A great ALT is hard to find.
    Someone great at any job is hard to find.

I am dealing with that now, my office is filled with people who think they are great workers and really none of them are "great" just good or ok.

Obviously there are gonna be a lot of hur hur hurs with this coming from me but I think of interacting with the kids as one of the only perks of this job.

It just seems very miserable that you would dislike it and I don't get why you would come here to be a teacher if you hate kids.
    Yeah; I kinda feel this way, too. I generally prefer the company of my students to that of most other J-folks. They still have dreams and seem kinda optimistic, open-minded, and fun-loving.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

It's a different kind of fun. Kids aren't so withdrawn and focused on showing their good side as some older and more serious Japanese people are. Most of them don't particularly care about telling you about wonderful Japanese this that and the other and tend to be pretty tired of being shovel-fed the same nonsense in their regular classes. They're fun because you can access their real personalities more directly.

But if you can find Japanese your age who you can speak with like that then it's no comparison. The kids are fun but they really have very little depth to their lives and interests. There are kids who you think are really fun and interesting when you see them in school but the few times I've met with ex-students I've really realised just have nothing interesting to talk about because their personalities aren't fully developed yet. Sadly as they go through college a lot of them become a lot more distant and aloof because they're trying harder to be adults.

But if you can find Japanese your age...
    That's really my problem. Young adults just don't stay in my town. I've got a few J-friends around my/MG's age, and they can be fun to chill with, but a lot of 'em seem kinda harried and most of them just want to move to a big city/abroad ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ok I am in a grumpy mood and I take that back. I loved my kids and sometimes I miss it (teaching). What I thinking was "monster parents" and dealing with the bad apple. That sort of "dealing with the kids" thing.
    I like kids a lot (but don't want my own).

But I agree with what Jiggit said.

Actually what I wanted to say was something else. But I didn't want to get flamed so I pulled back.

Actually what I wanted to say was something else. But I didn't want to get flamed so I pulled back.
    Don't let the tatemae win. Open up your honne and let it flow out.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to troll and I'm sorry that it came off that way. If you really do get to plan all your lessons and you won't get let go after 5 years, you deserve respect. Whether or not you will ever get that respect is doubtful, and you will never have a chance to be management. For most of us, (you were correct that I work at a JHS), we will be let go after 5 years and have no real chance to plan lessons or impact anything, which brings me to my point:

It's self-aggrandizement at best and dillusional at worst to assume that anything that you say at a public function matters. So long as you don't strip naked, no one will care or remember anything. To me, the title of this thread is absolutely ridiculous. Semantics aside, we are not "appointed," we are contracted. It's not like you recieved a nomination from Shinzo Abe and were "appointed." I'm glad that newbies are excited about this job, but chill the fuck out. No one will change anything or impact anything in a meaningful way from an ALT position.

I don't think you're trolling, I just think you're being unreasonably cynical and dismissive so I thought I might as well respond in kind.

What does the introductory speech matter for anyone? It only matters in the sense that you want to give a good impression of yourself so that your future coworkers treat you well. Japanese teachers work at a single school for a similar amount of time as an ALT can (3-5 years). Therefore your introduction speech matters about as much as a Japanese teacher's does.

Of course you aren't expected to know all the appropriate Japanese as a Japanese teacher would be, but if you can learn it why wouldn't you?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Intro speech really doesn't matter, though I imagine it's particularly terrifying if you have to do it in front of the town mayor and half the public employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.