Thread: Buying stuff!

Banned

Default Buying stuff!

Can we get a list going of some good places to buy electronics, furniture, bikes, et cetera? I know some places are probably regional, or hard to get to from certain parts of the country, but just some suggestions might get us new guys started in the right direction. I'll actually probably just buy a bike from the closest shop to me, but I have no idea how to go about finding a shop with a wireless router or TVs, even after wandering around a mall all day yesterday.

Default Re: Buying stuff!

Electronics - electronics store.
    Furniture - furniture stores.
    Bikes - bike shops and sports centres.

Seriously though the best way really is to just ask other ALTs in your area.

kakaku.com
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

There's lots of mom and pop stores but the big brands are

Electronics: Yodabashi, K's Denki, Yamada (K's and Yamada are linked to the shop search and Yodabashi has a list at the bottom)
    Furniture: Nitori is probably the most famous (and cheap), a lot of people shop on nissen.co.jp, too There's IKEA if you live close enough (no internet shopping).

Bikes.. depends. You can get a bike almost anywhere, AEON, your local hardware store. Depends on how nice of a bike you want. The bigger the AEON or hardware store the more selection they'll have. Local bike stores will depend on your area, that'd probably be something that you'd want to ask local ALTs about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

but unless there is a sale on or you feel confident enough in your j-go to haggle you will be much better off buying electronics online.

Rakuten and Amazon can cover almost all of your needs.

K's Denki is basically Best Buy. They even sell Dynex. Depending on your town you can get a lot of things there, appliances, computers, impulse buys... My podunk town had one that was pretty much headphones and keitai cases, but the one next town over had almost everything.

I also liked Keiyo D2. It was like a mini Lowes/Home Depot bred with a wal-mart (except for the grocery part). Bedding, light bulbs, and cleaners were what I usually got there.

Donki for everything else, including your standard "I heart oppai" gaijin tshirts.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Beaming down a rainbow into a San Francisco apparently inhabited exclusively by The Village People? It really says it all about Star Trek, imho.

Banned

I successfully purchased a bike today, but failed at buying a router. I guess the one I chose was on back order. I don't know.

Anyone have a suggestion for a router on Amazon/rakuten, then? I don't need any of the AC garbage necessarily. Something in the 5000 range?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Coincidentally, I also purchased a bike today. What exciting lives we lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

For your router, try Yamada. They do have a website but its pretty crap. I managed to get a dual band 500n router for about 2.5, and is smaller than the palm of my hand so i can take it with me.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

If you know anything about routers and firmware, you can put DDWRT on quite a few Buffalo models (to change the firmware language to English). Otherwise is doesn't much matter - just find a router with the right band you want - if you want a wireless router(g,b,n, ac etc). Then hook it up and log into it to put in your ID and you'll be off to the races.

I always recommend looking up router reviews before buying them. Also my internet company have me modem that was also a wifi router
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.