Thread: New Re-entry and Departure ED Card

Default New Re-entry and Departure ED Card

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/re-ed/EDcard_leaf_en.pdf

So according to this, on July 1 2014 a new re-entry and departure ED card was created. Maybe my brain is not working right now, but what is the difference between "Departure with Re-entry Permission" and "Departure with Special Re-entry Permission"?

Default Re: New Re-entry and Departure ED Card

"Special Re-Entry Permit" is for those who are reentering Japan within 1 year of their departure and also if a period of your stay expires within 1 year after the departure, you must re-enter Japan before the expiration date of your period of stay. The existing "Re-Entry Permit" prior to departure if your time abroad may exceed 1 year. The PDF you linked states it better page 2.

It's designed to make the system more convenient, though it may be confusing at first to a lot of people. If I recall correctly there were some issues with people losing their residence statuses with the old system but I couldn't tell you the details of that off the top of my head.

Hey, sorry, I've been away during the summer break. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really sure about the changes. I remember back in 2007 (studying in Japan), I had to get a re-entry stamp in my passport from immigration before I could visit my home country for a few weeks. Then last year (working in Japan), I could just fill out a form at the airport. So, I was wondering what changed again this year.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Nothing has changed since last year. Same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

They put a checkbox on the card for some people to tick. That's pretty much it. Just fill it out at immigration to avoid the problem of making mistakes.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I didn't check the box (because it's not exactly clear which box you are supposed to check). I gave it to the dude unchecked, he checked a box for me (special), and I went on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I don't even fill it out until I'm at the counter. Mostly because I hate having to explain that I made a mistake and need a new one. Plus I've never had a Immigration officer refuse to help me fill it out when I have all the info literally right in front of him/her. Last time I went through, the officer took it out of my passport and had me write the flight info and then filled the rest out himself...