Thread: Protecting Tatami from Furniture

Default Protecting Tatami from Furniture

I was hoping to buy a western bed within the next month from nitori or muji. My bedroom is made up of 6 or 8 tatami mats, which I know are delicate. What's the best way to go about keeping them in good shape once I get a bed? I know in the US they sell those round plastic furniture slider pads, so I wonder if something similar is available here and might do the trick?
    I came here to laugh at you.

Default Re: Protecting Tatami from Furniture

Yeah, they sell similar products, but if you really want to protect it, you should probably put a big board or something under it. The more the weight is evenly distributed, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I suspect this is a common problem, so the place you buy the bed from may sell something appropriate themselves.
    ...because Japan.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ask if you're gonna have to replace the tatami when you leave, if you are I say fuck it. If you aren't, then maybe getting a piece of plywood (or two if you can't transport it) from the local musashi would solve your problem.

I have literally destroyed two of the tatami in my room, but I knew I was gonna have to replace em when I left regardless as I was I came the year they needed to be replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Some places might not even care since they count furniture as normal wear and tear. At least, that's what the agent told me last year when I was apartment hunting.

I found some bed frames specifically for tatami that distribute the weight a little better. However my problem now is that I don't think a bed will fit through my front door. There is a wall immediately as you enter the apartment. My genkan might not even be 1 square meter

Mattress is flexible, supports can go through a window. Choose a small headboard and you're golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Or just take it apart

You can buy a bed without a box spring. If not there is always the rope/ pulley to your balcony.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

My BOE's bed dug into the tatami and destroyed it. I'd recommend putting a carpet down in the whole room, if you can, honestly. It's what my friend did for her's and what I plan to do when I finally get around to setting up my bed. Depending on where your located, you can even get a heating pad for underneath your carpet, which'll be a treat in winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lianwen View Post
    I am a competent, semifunctioning adult of modest landwhale proportions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    how many more threads in which BJ declares his love for lianwen do we need?