me in the class alone with the students
    I feel you, man.

Default Re: Using JET to eventually get a job in a private high school

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    That doesn't answer my question.
    Yes, equal to a Japanese teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
    Thanks a lot Word. Since making this thread I've started thinking it's a bad idea. I mean, I think it's basically a big gamble, the girl you mention was in the right place at the right time I guess. What if I did 2-3 years of ALT work (through JET or somewhere else) and couldn't "progress" to a private high school as the sole teacher? Teaching for me is a career, not something I'll do for a few years then move on, so maybe if I stayed as an ALT for so long it might not look so good outside of Japan for other teaching positions; e.g. If I'm competing with people with the same amount of experience but as the actual teacher in the classroom.
    Toyo University in Tokyo has an amazing after-Masters teaching program. It's geared towards teachers early in their career, is highly competitive, but the pay and benefits are excellent, and many people go on to successful teaching careers in Japan and elsewhere. They definitely look for research / publishing / presenting experience, as with most university jobs in Japan. I think that would be the surest way to transitioning to working for a private high school in Japan.

Also, there's a Christian all-girls school in Kobe that pays pretty well, but I'm not sure if it would lead to such a career afterwards.

Both could probably be found on ESL job boards or university teaching Job boards in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by windar View Post
    Toyo University in Tokyo has an amazing after-Masters teaching program. It's geared towards teachers early in their career, is highly competitive, but the pay and benefits are excellent, and many people go on to successful teaching careers in Japan and elsewhere. They definitely look for research / publishing / presenting experience, as with most university jobs in Japan. I think that would be the surest way to transitioning to working for a private high school in Japan.

Also, there's a Christian all-girls school in Kobe that pays pretty well, but I'm not sure if it would lead to such a career afterwards.

Both could probably be found on ESL job boards or university teaching Job boards in Japan.
    Thanks for that information Windar.

They definitely look for research / publishing / presenting experience, as with most university jobs in Japan.

I just did a Google and the one that came up had requirements I don't have and don't think I'll ever have; e.g.

More than 3 publications after obtaining a Master’s degree.
    I mean that entails probably doing a second master's and PhD and/or having some university research position. In short, after researching it quite some time ago I ruled out universities because many require publications. Of course maybe some don't, so I shouldn't just reject it, but I'm being realistic that getting 3 publications is not something that will ever happen.

Maybe the Christian all-girls school in Kobe is a more likely option. Is this a regular school or international one? Tried searching online, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it?

but I'm not sure if it would lead to such a career afterwards.
    Could you elaborate a bit on that?

Cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by elmaldito View Post
    Thanks for that information Windar.

I just did a Google and the one that came up had requirements I don't have and don't think I'll ever have; e.g.

I mean that entails probably doing a second master's and PhD and/or having some university research position. In short, after researching it quite some time ago I ruled out universities because many require publications. Of course maybe some don't, so I shouldn't just reject it, but I'm being realistic that getting 3 publications is not something that will ever happen.

Maybe the Christian all-girls school in Kobe is a more likely option. Is this a regular school or international one? Tried searching online, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it?

Could you elaborate a bit on that?

Cheers again
    The UMontana/Toyo program is geared directly towards professionals such as yourself. No publication history is required; teaching experience is emphasized more. I may have misunderstood your original post, but an MA in TESOL is all that's technically required. I don't know why you think you'd need a second Master's or PhD to do this. Also, publishing at the very least one article helps with securing any post-academic appointment.

Language teaching and professional bilingual jobs

Here's the link to the High School program in Kobe. I couldn't find a website with information, only this PDF.

http://www.kccjee.org/pdfs/Gottschal...escription.pdf

It's a two-year contract so they probably won't be hiring again until April 2016.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Keep in mind that many of those university level teaching positions are requesting crap like publication because there are already too many "qualified" foreigners in Japan teaching at the various universities. Also, many of the universities are only providing year to year/fixed term non-renewable contracts which are basically designed to ensure foreign teachers who are not PHD level are not kept on at the university. Tenure track jobs are nearly impossible to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Tenure track jobs are nearly impossible to get.
    But isn't that not specific to Japan? Are all countries staring to do that?
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Yes.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    Yes and no. The Japanese do it in a much more... malicious way, where it's not that they don't have tenure track positions available, it's just they're only available to Japanese Nationals (not that you can prove this of course outside of anecdotal information). They don't seem to want to keep Instructors (regardless of their ability) on for a long time, which is to their benefit financially.

I had a number of conversations about this with Foreigners and Japanese Nationals down at the CALL conference in Hawaii last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by windar View Post
    The UMontana/Toyo program is geared directly towards professionals such as yourself. No publication history is required; teaching experience is emphasized more. I may have misunderstood your original post, but an MA in TESOL is all that's technically required. I don't know why you think you'd need a second Master's or PhD to do this. Also, publishing at the very least one article helps with securing any post-academic appointment.
    Thanks a lot for the link - it seems like a pretty good opportunity! The reason I mentioned a second master's degree or PhD would be that this would be the typical route to getting publications. And, the reason I mentioned publications is that I did a google and found a job with this university teaching English and they had that requirement so just assumed that was the standard, but from the link you send me I see I was mistaken. Of course, like you say publications are useful though especially in today's competitive market.

Regarding the job in Kobe, salary seems quite good! But I think there are 2 strikes against me:

Speaker of standard American English Speaker of standard American English with strong grammar skills.

I'm not American.

Be comfortable with and able to present the school’s Christian values in the classroom and on campus.
    It seems they're really after a Christian. I come from a catholic family but am not really religious.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Yes and no. The Japanese do it in a much more... malicious way, where it's not that they don't have tenure track positions available, it's just they're only available to Japanese Nationals (not that you can prove this of course outside of anecdotal information). They don't seem to want to keep Instructors (regardless of their ability) on for a long time, which is to their benefit financially.

I had a number of conversations about this with Foreigners and Japanese Nationals down at the CALL conference in Hawaii last year.
    Not enough to suggest things are changing everywhere, but my friend from California is currently on a tenure track at a major university in Hiroshima. Basically the only requirements are to be published 3 times in 2-3 years and to not have sex with your students (or at least get caught). I believe this uni was one of those previously blacklisted by Debito. My friend has a Masters in either Education or Linguistics, but before that he was just working at a mom and pop eikaiwa shop here in Hiroshima.