Thread: Mold

Default Mold

Forgive me if there is a similar thread somewhere, I couldn't find one.

I'm worried my apartment is super moldy. I come from a very dry place where mold is not an issue at all, so I might be mistaking my new humid environment for a moldy one. My shower room is obviously a huge issue, I have one of those turn on the gas and crank it showers, which is fine, except there are so many nooks and crannies that there is black stuff all over the grout, and under/between the different parts of the shower machine thingy. I guess it could be dirt maybe?

My bedroom is a tatami room and there are a few places on the walls with obvious water damage. The smell in the room is very musty, a bit more so than the rest of the apartment, and if I leave anything porous out it smells super musty. All of my clothes are hanging in the closet but they all smell super musty now too. I bought a new quilt/quilt cover and after a day it started to smell super musty. Do I just need to air it out outside on a regular basis? Is this just what it's like to live in a humid place? Or is my apartment super moldy?

I've done some research about moldy tatami and it looks/smells like the tatami is fine.

Sorry for the noob post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Mold

You can get anti-mold cleaners for the shower room. Look for 防カビ.

Also, get some dehumidifying things for your room and closets. I use みずとりぞうさん. I put a few in each room and the closets and they absorb a good amount of humidity.
    Air your futon out regularly and leave it in the sun if you can. In the winter you might want to get a futon dryer that blows hot air through your futon.
    662897.jpg

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a western style bed, with a quilt, not a futon. But thanks soh! I will have to stock up on those humidity absorbers.
    Last edited by Libellule; August 15th, 2014 at 11:53.

Western beds can mold here, too. Don't make your bed, the blanket will trap in your nightly- ... moisture.

Hang the blanket up for the day, get it down at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Also, if you can afford it, get an air conditioner. It will dehumidify the air (most will actually have a dehumidify setting).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

If you can, get the Elephant brand - 水とりぞうさん - 7 and Aeon have their own versions, and neither seem to do the job as well as the elephant.

Its also a good idea if you leave for more than a couple days to leave one in each room and leave a fan on to exhaust (the shower fan etc.) I leave the shower fan on pretty much 24/7 in the summer.

Try not to dry clothes indoors (aim for sunny days - its a part of the TV weather forecast...) as it will raise the humidity. Outdoors or find a coin laundry with dryers (that don't burn your clothes.)

I hang mine indoors when it rains, but I have a fan pointed at the hanging rack to make it dry faster. It definitely makes my little humidity pot thing get used up quicker. Just don't do a bunch at a time, and it should still be ok.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I guess the funky smell just must be how it smells here.

And coop, I will have to use that tip when winter comes, so thanks

I recommend buying a dehumidifier. The elephant things are ok for closets but not for really changing the overall climate. They are about $200. Put one in the shower room and another one where you sleep if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone!

I guess the funky smell just must be how it smells here.

And coop, I will have to use that tip when winter comes, so thanks
    I find that Japanese houses have a strange smell to them. I don't know what it is. I get used to it, but after a trip abroad I am reminded of it.
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatefall View Post
    I find that Japanese houses have a strange smell to them. I don't know what it is. I get used to it, but after a trip abroad I am reminded of it.
    Yeah, MG and I noticed this, too. Not sure if it's the tatami or the walls. It is very distinct, though.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

If you make coffee at home, leave the used coffee grounds out in the open for the entire day, everyday. It's amazing. It absorbs the smell.

Or leave half a lemon out for the day, that too absorbs bad smells
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

I find that Japanese houses have a strange smell to them. I don't know what it is.
    Death

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Death
    Actually, that is a very distinct possibility. I'm pretty sure the former occupant of my place died in the guest bed. I usually don't tell any of my guests, though.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Actually, that is a very distinct possibility. I'm pretty sure the former occupant of my place died in the guest bed. I usually don't tell any of my guests, though.
    Definitely never staying at your place!
    Everything I have ever said was a lie, and that's the truth.

Definitely never staying at your place!
    Protip:
    Every inaka house has had at least 1 person die in it.

Every.
    One.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Protip:
    Every inaka house has had at least 1 person die in it.

Every.
    One.
    word

Probably two in mine, at least, but given that part of it is well over 100 years old... I'd be surprised if the number isn't actually much higher.

That's a nice thing about moving into a new building. With any luck I'll be the first to die in mine.